What's new

Upcoming NYC day trip (Pasteur visit)

Taking a day bus tour trip in a few weeks to NYC with the wife and daughter. As the bus is dropping us off on 34th at Macy's, I'll be in Pasteur's neighborhood. I've talking my wife into granting me one of the approximately seven hours we're in town to explore the store and pick up a few items. I know that will be a whirlwind tour of the shaving mecca and I might be able to squeeze out another 30 minutes but I don't want to get greedy.

I'm mostly looking for a few new soaps/creams and aftershaves for the colder months. Now, what I need from you gents, is some recommendations. I'm fan of MWF, La Toja, Haslinger, PdP, B&M Reserve, WK, DG. I just picked up some Speick but haven't tried it yet.

I don't care for cologne mimicking soaps or fruity soaps and I'm not a fan of Stirling. Let's say, for the sake of discussion and recommendation, that price is not an option.

What would you recommend I buy and why? Thanks in advance, fellows!

As a regular visitor to Pasteur, the best thing about the 34th st location is they have almost everything, and that you can use your nose. Also, and this is big, check the sale shelf. You can get some real deals on soaps, creams, aftershaves etc.

My suggestions, is narrow down the bases you want and use your nose. They also have quite a selection of amazing aftershaves, and almost every razor blade you’ve ever heard of.

Make a budget, or you could go wild.

How much stuff do you have stored under the sink? If you have ten pucks already, and enough AS for two lifetimes, that is different from a fella who needs something. LOL

As already stated above they have pretty much everything. I'm new to shaving but work in Midtown so I've gotten to go there a few times. The best part about going to a store such as Pasteur is that you can smell all the things. There were a few highly recommended soaps/AS scents that I was thinking about ordering online based on reviews here and other places but found out they weren't for me when I got a chance to give them a whiff in Pasteur.

Being a brick and mortar store in NYC I assumed the prices would be jacked up a little vs online retailers...they aren't you can expect to pay exactly the same as far as I can tell.

The first time I was in there I thought it might be awkward that I was just smelling soaps and aftershaves but none of the employees seemed to care or bothered me and were helpful when I had questions. I guess guys going in there and smelling shave soap for an hour or more is a pretty normal occurrence.

And yea, definitely check out the 50% off shelves too, some good stuff in there usually.

I don't really have any specific recommendations but you'll be able to smell pretty much every scent from the brands you mentioned are your favorites, they basically stock the entire lineup from all those if you were looking to try something new from one (all) of them.

I’ve been in there about 4 times and they’re cool about us taking a sniff of the soaps.

I recommend picking up a few soaps and a brush or two. If you’re into DEs, pick up a couple of tucks of blades that you haven’t used. Their prices might be a buck or two more than online, but they’re reasonable and the experience is worth it! Plan on spending a good two hours there. Mention that they’re a legend on the internet. They seem to get a kick out of it.

I’ve been in there about 4 times and they’re cool about us taking a sniff of the soaps.

I recommend picking up a few soaps and a brush or two. If you’re into DEs, pick up a couple of tucks of blades that you haven’t used. Their prices might be a buck or two more than online, but they’re reasonable and the experience is worth it! Plan on spending a good two hours there. Mention that they’re a legend on the internet. They seem to get a kick out of it.
Their store is the size of a closet, but it’s packed to the hilt! Expect other wet shavers there and start the conversation. You’ll make a few new friends.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Get a green basket on the way in :)
They have the sale area and the first aisle had tubs of sale stuff. On one trip she extended a buy 2 get one free from the sale selection.

As others have said its nice to smell before buying. One expensive soap ive been toying with getting smelled absolutely terrible to me so this really did save me money

Enjoy and post after going!

Well, the trip was a success. While we only spent an hour in Pasteurs, it was not busy so we could really get into smelling the entire selection. As Rhody said, being able to smell before buying was great. I smelled a few that I had contemplated purchasing online but I'm glad I didn't, as they were not very appealing to my nose......or that of my wife...lol. Having her (and our daughter) with me really helped narrow down my purchases. I tried not go too crazy but did manage to pick up a few things. My wife also went back and picked up some additional things for me for Christmas...but she made Maggie and I wait outside so as not to spoil the surprise. Martin, the man behind the counter...and in the window in the first picture, also threw in some Southern Witchcraft soap samples!
PNYC.1.jpg
PNYC.JPG

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Wow very nice haul! So glad you had a great experience. How was the sale rack? Hopefully ill be back after Christmas. Very nice that your wife got you some surprise gifts too!
does the tobs cream smell true to the as?

Wow very nice haul! So glad you had a great experience. How was the sale rack? Hopefully ill be back after Christmas. Very nice that your wife got you some surprise gifts too!
does the tobs cream smell true to the as?
Thanks. Sale rack wasn't bad. Lots of stuff including the Peg Leg Nichols and Solstice aftershaves from the picture. The wife picked the TOBS immediately and the a/s is pretty true according to our noses.

That's the place!

I hated having to waste time going up that big building across the street...

AA
We bailed on that big building. Spent too much time stuffing our faces at 2nd Avenue Deli after soap and aftershave shopping....haha.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thanks. Sale rack wasn't bad. Lots of stuff including the Peg Leg Nichols and Solstice aftershaves from the picture. The wife picked the TOBS immediately and the a/s is pretty true according to our noses.
Awesome
Love that skull bottle

Top Bottom