What's new

Upcoming Artisan Soap Makers?

If they are upcoming, how would anyone know who they are going to be?

The market is already saturated with too many "artisan" makers who really aren't artisan by definition. The word has lost its meaning in terms of soap making and other handcrafted items.

If they are upcoming, how would anyone know who they are going to be?

The market is already saturated with too many "artisan" makers who really aren't artisan by definition. The word has lost its meaning in terms of soap making and other handcrafted items.
To give you an example of what I’m looking for is something like Murphy and McNeil. Newer soap maker that’s already making some noise. Any soap maker that’s either new or hasn’t received the praise they deserve.

I just took a look at Murphy and McNeil website and found that they are selling "pre-owned" and "used" shaving products from commercial and artisan vendors and from previous owners!

Couple newer soap makers that I have noticed:

Lotus eater soap company, arsenal grooming, spearhead shaving (testing out soaps), Soapy Science (been making soaps a while but I don't see them a lot), and etcs.

There are so many artisan soap makers that I'm not really drawn to one unless they have a good deal or through the BST. I could shave with Stirling for years but I'll change it up sometimes.

I looked at Murphy & McNeil, whoever they are....$20usd from a no name soap maker that won't be around in 6 months or will be on Ver. 2.67a of their soap. I'll pass.

They do have fancy labels and descriptions of soaps that are longer than some short stories though. :a44:

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like good noise to me.
You must not have tried their soap? Selling stuff has nothing to do with the performance of their soaps. You just proved my point, you haven’t heard of them just like many others. I recently tried their soap when someone on here recommended them and it’s an outstanding soap for the value. I definitely would put them up there with Wholly Kaw and Declaration Grooming.

Couple newer soap makers that I have noticed:

Lotus eater soap company, arsenal grooming, spearhead shaving (testing out soaps), Soapy Science (been making soaps a while but I don't see them a lot), and etcs.

There are so many artisan soap makers that I'm not really drawn to one unless they have a good deal or through the BST. I could shave with Stirling for years but I'll change it up sometimes.
Thanks for your input!

You must not have tried their soap? Selling stuff has nothing to do with the performance of their soaps. You just proved my point, you haven’t heard of them just like many others. I recently tried their soap when someone on here recommended them and it’s an outstanding soap for the value. I definitely would put them up there with Wholly Kaw and Declaration Grooming.
Nope, I haven't tried their soap or the others you listed and to be honest, I probably never will.

I'm probably in the minority here when it comes to soap. I'm done stock pilling, done rotating, done trying new soaps and scents. I tend to gravitate to soaps and creams that have been around a while and have a proven formula that doesn't change monthly.

His reply was about the other used soap that is being sold there as I pointed out, not about their own brand that they sell there as well...

His reply was about the other used soap that is being sold there as I pointed out, not about their own brand that they sell there as well...
Yup

I've been a long time advocate against USED soap. What I find funny is eBay doesn't allow used cosmetics, the annual auction here doesn't allow them and in this day and age.....especially right now with everything going on in the world, I can be believe used soap is still a thing.

Used Cella 80-90% remaining for $8.99. Isn't it like $12.00 new without any mystery hairs or kooties? I've never seen or heard of an online vendor selling used soaps. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

I tend to gravitate to soaps and creams that have been around a while and have a proven formula that doesn't change monthly.
I totally respect your opinion and get it. Perhaps this thread may not be meant for you since it's about "upcoming" makers and not ones that have been 'around for a while'? No matter what, I value everyone's opinion, even if they aren't a fan or the "audience" for a post. For example, I really like Stirling's shave soaps, and they are resisting changing their base to chase the 'keeping up with the Jones' fad right now by adding a kajillion other fats to the soap to increase post-shave feel.

I agree that the M&M website is a bit strange with their pre-used products. I interpret that like they're exploring a potential market for people who don't have access to the great BST here on B&B. I won't blame a business for exploring an idea.

With that said, Murphy and McNeil has impressed many, many, many people with their soaps, myself included. One of my absolute top soaps right now—fantastic scents, cushion, post-shave. In my opinion, completely worth it and then some. In the USA, if you want to try it, buy a sample with their free shipping. I have five full tubs of their soaps and have zero regrets.

Zingari Man is another up and comer to me. I really, really enjoy their sego base.

Soap makers that are intriguing me now (but that I have not tried or tried enough): Viking, Southern Witchcrafts, Catie's Bubbles, Mystic Waters, Shannon's Soaps. Sometimes to become 'upcoming', more people simply have to learn about you. To borrow an idea from authors, they can often obtain "overnight" success after years and years of writing and improving.

Yup

I've been a long time advocate against USED soap. What I find funny is eBay doesn't allow used cosmetics, the annual auction here doesn't allow them and in this day and age.....especially right now with everything going on in the world, I can be believe used soap is still a thing.

Used Cella 80-90% remaining for $8.99. Isn't it like $12.00 new without any mystery hairs or kooties? I've never seen or heard of an online vendor selling used soaps. Sounds like a bad idea to me.
Couple of things, some people like buying soaps at a discounted price, regardless if they are used or not. Personally it’s not my touché but not really for me to judge. Regardless, he makes some great soaps if you can get past this. If you already have enough and not looking to buy more, more power to yea.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I tend to gravitate to soaps and creams that have been around a while and have a proven formula that doesn't change monthly.
I tend to agree with you. I have been on a short artisan journey and have decided to end it. To me they are not worth the additional cost over tried and true soaps that have been round decades or hundreds of years.

All done with the bases and drops game.

I totally respect your opinion and get it. Perhaps this thread may not be meant for you since it's about "upcoming" makers and not ones that have been 'around for a while'? No matter what, I value everyone's opinion, even if they aren't a fan or the "audience" for a post. For example, I really like Stirling's shave soaps, and they are resisting changing their base to chase the 'keeping up with the Jones' fad right now by adding a kajillion other fats to the soap to increase post-shave feel.

I agree that the M&M website is a bit strange with their pre-used products. I interpret that like they're exploring a potential market for people who don't have access to the great BST here on B&B. I won't blame a business for exploring an idea.

With that said, Murphy and McNeil has impressed many, many, many people with their soaps, myself included. One of my absolute top soaps right now—fantastic scents, cushion, post-shave. In my opinion, completely worth it and then some. In the USA, if you want to try it, buy a sample with their free shipping. I have five full tubs of their soaps and have zero regrets.

Zingari Man is another up and comer to me. I really, really enjoy their sego base.

Soap makers that are intriguing me now (but that I have not tried or tried enough): Viking, Southern Witchcrafts, Catie's Bubbles, Mystic Waters, Shannon's Soaps. Sometimes to become 'upcoming', more people simply have to learn about you. To borrow an idea from authors, they can often obtain "overnight" success after years and years of writing and improving.
Well said, I couldn’t agree more! That was the point of this thread, to allow exposure for underrated soap makers. Thanks for contributing!

I have several Shannon's Soaps and they are all top tier . I believe Shannon has a background in chemistry and designed it for sensitive skin . I do not have sensitive skin but am happy to shave with it anytime.

Great thread! :thumbup: :thumbup:

‘Do you want the ‘newest artisan’ (however you define that) product that may indeed be terrific?

I went through a short-lived ‘artisan’ phase. Sometimes, ‘The formula changed.’ Other times they closed shop or, ‘The artisan moved.’ Too frustrating!

These days I tend toward products from companies like MWF, Haslinger, MdC, etc.: small companies that are likely to be around when I need to restock.

Certainly, others can stick to the quest to find the newest, best, and most exclusive! Nice to have options!

Sometimes you get lucky...I tried Tiki The Captain soap during the Soap Passaround and fell in love with the scent (and the performance with good, too.) I spent a long time trying to get a tub of it, but Tiki had one more run (that I missed the cut on) and then closed. Thankfully, she sold her formulas to the Groomatorium and I was able to get a tub.

Top Bottom