What's new

Unusual Gillette New Deluxe date code.

Hi everyone. I need some help figuring out the date code on my Tuckaway style New Deluxe Gillette. The serial number is 59724, without a prefix letter, and without a suffix letter. There is not even any marks near the serial number that could be considered a partially struck letter. Any help would be appreciated. I did try to check these numbers through the Shave wiki here, and I checked the razor archives sites. Thanks.

I believe it’s 1930-1931. I don’t think there are letter codes on the Deluxe.

1929 no serial#, no patent.
1930-31 serial#, no patent.
1935 patent, no serial #.
69EF3201-A10F-4B4C-97BD-A8EA8A82D465.jpeg
FEB73E2C-2EE7-443A-AE03-69999E955F98.jpeg

The 1930 - 1931 NEW De Luxe model razors were issued serial numbers, as well as having the matching serial numbers printed on their shippers. There were two varieties of serial numbers issued. The actual, full sequence commenced with number 1D, and ran for only one year. However, on many of these razors, possibly most, the "D" was somehow omitted, which created a second variety of serial number, lacking the letter. The issuing of serial numbers was discontinued after one year. Although some of the final production of the New Improved series of razors exist in chrome, the NEW De Luxe series is considered to be the first to actually feature a chrome razor as a standard stock item in it's line.

The 1930 - 1931 NEW De Luxe model razors were issued serial numbers, as well as having the matching serial numbers printed on their shippers. There were two varieties of serial numbers issued. The actual, full sequence commenced with number 1D, and ran for only one year. However, on many of these razors, possibly most, the "D" was somehow omitted, which created a second variety of serial number, lacking the letter. The issuing of serial numbers was discontinued after one year. Although some of the final production of the New Improved series of razors exist in chrome, the NEW De Luxe series is considered to be the first to actually feature a chrome razor as a standard stock item in it's line.
Thank You Kevin. I appreciate your expertise. This razor set is a Tuckaway style New Deluxe in chromium. It is quite beautiful. I had to re-line the interior, but it looks great now. The Chrome really makes it shiny.

It sounds like a winner!
I have a weakness for New Deluxe razors.
You should post pictures, and share it with us.....

Cheers,
Kevin

Hi, here is a few photos of my Tuckaway-New Deluxe for everyone's viewing pleasure-

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Enjoy folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a most attractive set, and one not seen frequently. You did an excellent job
relining the case.
Enjoy!

Kevin

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice set in wonderful condition! I like the silver much more than the gold on the Tuckaways.

Very nice job on the case! My New Deluxe Norfolk case looks like it was used to store Rat droppings for 50 years or so. :a17:

Thanks for the details. New information to me. Now if I can remember it is another story!

Top Bottom