What's new

Unusual Gillette ABC?

Good evening gentlemen (or good morning?)
Today I got my long awaited ABC razor that I missed the first time I saw it. The second one in my collection, in fact.
Now, as you can see it's the Scroll design in silver with a great looking patina, pretty awesome. It came with an Empire case.
What caught my attention is the fact that It doesn't have a serial number like the other one I have, and also
the inside of the head features a big Gillette diamond logo.
Also the teeth are shorter that the usual razors from that era.

IMG_20200708_221646.jpgSAM_0693.JPGSAM_0697.JPGSAM_0705.JPG

Hope you get to see the logo, it's almost gone.

SAM_0706.JPGSAM_0709.JPGSAM_0718.JPGIMG_20200708_222740.jpg

Now, the back of the case has written the patents of all the countries but not actually the patents themself but rather the dates?
In addition, on the side of the listed patents is written "Great Britain; patent number and registration number (?)"

IMG_20200709_001235.jpg

Is this a British razor or American made for British Market? and what year is it?

Good evening gentlemen (or good morning?)
Today I got my long awaited ABC razor that I missed the first time I saw it. The second one in my collection, in fact.
Now, as you can see it's the Scroll design in silver with a great looking patina, pretty awesome. It came with an Empire case.
What caught my attention is the fact that It doesn't have a serial number like the other one I have, and also
the inside of the head features a big Gillette diamond logo.
Also the teeth are shorter that the usual razors from that era.

View attachment 1123331View attachment 1123334View attachment 1123335View attachment 1123336

Hope you get to see the logo, it's almost gone.

View attachment 1123337View attachment 1123338View attachment 1123339View attachment 1123332

Now, the back of the case has written the patents of all the countries but not actually the patents themself but rather the dates?
In addition, on the side of the listed patents is written "Great Britain; patent number and registration number (?)"

View attachment 1123333

Is this a British razor or American made for British Market? and what year is it?
George, any tips on getting a good shave from an ABC razor? Mine is a Scroll model, and it was made in 1909. I like the appearance of it, but I do not think it gives a close and comfortable shave. I'm open to suggestion from you or anyone else.

The ABC thread by Blue-EyedSon shows a case with the patent dates engraved. My plain ABC case has the patent numbers (except a date for Canada).

From the thread:
1594274014625.png

Also from that thread, this baseplate on the right to me resembles your short toothed plate:
1594274403343.png

R

romsitsa

Hello, it’s a double stamped British ABC set (made for or by Leicester), the comb is most likely missmatched.
There should be a similar diamond and the serial, starting with a G, under the cap.
Some US ABCs were also double stamped, but yours has the line (where the arrow should be) emblem.
Your comb has too short teeth and it looks to be nickel plated, so I opt for a missmatch.

Adam

Top Bottom