What's new

Unusual Flare Tip Rocket

Have a Gillette Flare Tip Rocket with very unusual handle design for the grip. It looks like Herring bone to me with vertical, longitudinal bands similar to a TV sp
IMG_1757.JPG
ecial. The head appears identical to my Giromatic except it is missing the Brit. Pat 694093 inside the blade tray. It weighs the same as the Giromatic razor, 61 grams. The finish on the handle appears to be a bright nickle, but close in comparison to my Rhodium plated razors. Hard to tell apart visually for me at least. Anyone out there have any idea on the pedigree of the this beautiful specimen?

R

romsitsa

Not TV, it has the crimped on end connectors. It is I think the last version of the British Superspeed from the mid-late 60ies.

The crimped on end connectors are identical to the Giromatic razor. Must have borrowed the idea from American Gillette Superspeeds. The shave is of excellent quality, very much like the regular Rockets, and maybe a hair more aggressive for some unknown reason. Haven't checked the gaps on the razor. What caught my attention was the unusual Herring bone type of grip on the handle and the deep longitudinal grooves not seen on anything else in the Rocket family. The longitudinal grooves really shine in the light. The TTO is identical in configuration to all others that I have seen. I believe it is also an English superspeed, and if the end of the line, one of the best looking. Just wish it would have had the pointy, solid connectors instead. Thanks to all replies!

Had to bring out pics of my old TV Special, see what you mean. Thanks.

And you are right, excellent shaver - I have a standard Rocket Flare Tip as part of my rotation, use it every week. Love the nimbleness and the perfect grip of the Flare knob. When it comes to money vs. shave quality the best TTO razor Gillette ever made IMHO.

R

romsitsa

Yes, the UK version got a similar makeover to the US one, three piece center bar, flatter head (compare it to any one piece center bar UK model to see the difference).

Guess that puts my question to rest, thanks again everyone for the responses. This is one razor I will refurbish should it ever become necessary. The plating looks mint so should last me the rest of my life I hope. Probably not too many of these were made, since this is the first and only I have ever seen, and I've seen many.

Both beautful and unique razors. From what I have determined over the years it's a early 60's w/uncommon "square end caps" instead of the "pointed caps" that distinguish the British Gillette's. Marked blade tray "BRIT.PAT. 694093". Underside bottom left "Gillette Logo" on right "MADE IN ENGLAND". No Roman numerial (I, II, III) markings on the underside. Has "gap" above TTO. 58.5 grams 2.06 oz. The tan case shown has Brit markings on the back although it identical in looks to the US case. The identical Rhodium flair tip was sold with two different sets. The Brit Model #80 and the Brit Traveller Deluxe Set. The reference to Brit TV Special probably came from the fact that Gillette sold both a 54 and 58 TV Special model in the US but I am unaware of any Brit model bearing that moniker. Note: I purchased the model #80 years ago from the UK. It was sold as a "TV Special" but I was later contacted by a guy who disputed the such a model exhisted. He provided me a vinatge Brit ad showing the razor (in the white plastic case) as a Model #80 not a "TV Special. Of interest the Mr Razor site had the Model #80 listed as a "TV Special" years ago but it has since been corrected based on the Brit ad provided by the same gentleman who contacted me. The Rhodium razor in the leather case I also purchased from the UK. I love the Brit Gillettes. As far as know there are seven different Brit Flair Tip sets and three Brit Super Speed (without the Gap) Sets.

razors 022.JPG
57593-7ad5ac7664f68324e1b418d08fa36569.jpg
56553-f12c5b15708fa2d4faa23ce9436b317f.jpg

Last edited:
Both beautful and unique razors. From what I have determined over the years it's a early 60's w/uncommon "square end caps" instead of the "pointed caps" that distinguish the British Gillette's. Marked blade tray "BRIT.PAT. 694093". Underside bottom left "Gillette Logo" on right "MADE IN ENGLAND". No Roman numerial (I, II, III) markings on the underside. Has "gap" above TTO. 58.5 grams 2.06 oz. The tan case shown has Brit markings on the back although it identical in looks to the US case. The identical Rhodium flair tip was sold with two different sets. The Brit Model #80 and the Brit Traveller Deluxe Set. The reference to Brit TV Special probably came from the fact that Gillette sold both a 54 and 58 TV Special model in the US but I am unaware of any Brit model bearing that moniker. Note: I purchased the model #80 years ago from the UK. It was sold as a "TV Special" but I was later contacted by a guy who disputed the such a model exhisted. He provided me a vinatge Brit ad showing the razor (in the white plastic case) as a Model #80 not a "TV Special. Of interest the Mr Razor site had the Model #80 listed as a "TV Special" years ago but it has since been corrected based on the Brit ad provided by the same gentleman who contacted me. The Rhodium razor in the leather case I also purchased from the UK. I love the Brit Gillettes. As far as know there are seven different Brit Flair Tip sets and three Brit Super Speed (without the Gap) Sets.

View attachment 1389675View attachment 1389676View attachment 1389677
Thanks for the great information, one cannot know too much when it comes to vintage razors! Nice razors you have there too! With the one I have, it was the Herring bone style on the handle knurling that caught my attention as well as the shiny nickle finish. Having the Rocket Gap at the TTO knob told me it was in the Rocket family somehow. No horizontal grooving in the handle knurling was reminding me of my 58 TV Special Superspeed. Wasn't sure what the Brits were doing as far as TV special editions was concerned. The squared off end
caps I'm not particularly fond of, like the solid pointy ones much more. Still a nice example of Rocket or almost rocket. Again, thanks for your information and great photos!

Another oddity to add to the mix, I hope no one minds, just an item of interest to fellow collectors/users. This is, to the best of my knowledge, a Milord razor. However, it seems to resemble a Rocket to a high degree except the baseplate says "Made in USA". Thought it might be the so-called American Rocket, but I think it is a fake, albeit, a very nice fake. Reason being, it looks like some rework gold plating on what I call the Ears underneath the base plate. The ears are connected to the pointy end connectors characteristic of all Rocket razors. The base plate crimp is also different from any other American or British Rocket or Super Speed. Slightly raised and rounded rivet. Well done at least it looks good. Orange colored lacquer appears to cover most of the silo doors. A gentleman in Phoenix AZ, who is in the business, seems to believe it is an American Rocket based on photos I sent him. The gold looking rework area, not visible in photos might have been a give away as to being a fake. I would never give or sell this razor since I really have doubts about the authenticity of it. Even as a fake, it is still a collectible to me. Nice shaver by the way, just like all the Rockets and Superspeeds.

Attachments

• American Rocket 001.JPG
    American Rocket 001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • American Rocket 007.JPG
    American Rocket 007.JPG
    876.5 KB · Views: 30
R

romsitsa

It is an Aristocrat Jr and looks to be legit. That razor has some unique features not present on any other US or UK razor, so faking it requires quite a bit of machining.

It is an Aristocrat Jr and looks to be legit. That razor has some unique features not present on any other US or UK razor, so faking it requires quite a bit of machining.
Thanks for your reply. I thought maybe it would take more expertise to make a fake like this than Gillette had. One of my thoughts was the Gillette Quality Control would not allow such a specimen to leave the factory. Rumor has it that they only made a limited supply of these razors in Dec 1949. Maybe Gillette was having difficulty producing acceptable items, threw their hands up in the air and gave up production. Just rumors and thoughts I guess. I do believe it was a version of the Milord razor, since it came in the Milord case. The Milord was related to the Aristocrat Junior of around 1947, which is another great shaver I use occasionally. Thanks again for your reply.

R

romsitsa

Why would Boston have any difficulties with a razor UK could produce effortless? If it was a limited run it was more of a test to see how well consumers receive the new design.
Or they realised that the UK mechanism won’t work with the adjustable mechanism Gillette came up with.

Why would Boston have any difficulties with a razor UK could produce effortless? If it was a limited run it was more of a test to see how well consumers receive the new design.
Or they realised that the UK mechanism won’t work with the adjustable mechanism Gillette came up with.
I agree, maybe I'm the one, being a retired Quality Engineer, who is judging the quality of Gillette's products too aggressively. Anyway, it is a good piece to hang on to I guess. Thanks again for your thoughts. Wish Gillette would have kept better records of what they had produced, and maybe they did, but the data is inaccessible to the general public.

Top Bottom