What's new

Unusual find

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I ran across an unusual find yesterday. As far as I can tell it is a Wally Frank reverse poker from the 50's.
By reverse poker, I mean the stem enters the chamber at the top instead of the bottom. The pipe has a bakelite bowl liner which threads into the body of the pipe.
The liner has holes in the bottom of the bowl, and the stummel shank airway enters the chamber at the top, thus it's impossible for moisture to enter the stem.
I'm cleaning it now, so I don't have pics, but it looks like this, without a band.
Image3.jpg

It appears that pre-Kaywoodie KB&B made these in the 20's as well.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Has anyone seen this before?

It was a pretty good bargain at the antique store for 18 bucks, and it has me thinking in a whole new direction. I have some briar blocks coming, and I'm considering duplicating the concept, perhaps using a Falcon bowl or a replacement bowl for a Calabash gourd.
Using a Falcon bowl would be pretty hot, as you could change the entire vibe of the pipe simply by putting a new bowl on, and the Falcon bowls are plentiful. Thread size doesn't matter too much as the O-Ring trick would allow one to use a Falcon bowl without having to worry about cutting threads.
I'm leaning away from a replacement meerschaum bowl as that would likely necessitate installation of a cork ring in the body of the stummel, unless I used an O-Ring in that fashion.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Never seen or heard of. Interesting. Let us know how it smokes.
Will do. I imagine it's a pretty dry, cool smoke.
The inside of the bakelite and the briar bowl are absolutely caked with baked on sludge. This is going to be a long cleaning process.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
That is COOL!!! That concept with a Falcon bowl system (especially if it is a true sitter) would be a dream pipe for me.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The pipe lightened considerably after cleaning, as you can see - it is a 3 piece pipe consisting of the vulcanite stem, the threaded bakelite bowl and the threaded briar stummel (shown here upside down with the shank nearest the top)

20220104_191931.jpg

The bakelite bowl has three holes in the bottom, and you can see the draft hole in the stummel near the top. Obviously similar to a calabash type draw. The bakelite is black with some dark maroon swirling that is difficult to see well.
20220104_192028.jpg

Due to the slightly canted edge on the bottom, it isn't a real "sitter"
20220104_192237.jpg

With the canted bottom and the weight of the stem, it tends to lean back on the stem, but even so - it is very stable.
20220104_192217.jpg

20220104_192226.jpg

I'll give it a run tomorrow with the wettest tobacco I have, probably Molto Dolce.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Very interesting pipe, but definitely along the lines of a calabash pipe.

I think Ser Jacopo has a similar shape but it’s drilled with their curved system.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
The pipe lightened considerably after cleaning, as you can see - it is a 3 piece pipe consisting of the vulcanite stem, the threaded bakelite bowl and the threaded briar stummel (shown here upside down with the shank nearest the top)

View attachment 1388939

The bakelite bowl has three holes in the bottom, and you can see the draft hole in the stummel near the top. Obviously similar to a calabash type draw. The bakelite is black with some dark maroon swirling that is difficult to see well.
View attachment 1388940

View attachment 1388943

With the canted bottom and the weight of the stem, it tends to lean back on the stem, but even so - it is very stable.
View attachment 1388941

View attachment 1388942

I'll give it a run tomorrow with the wettest tobacco I have, probably Molto Dolce.
Very cool, I am looking for a pipe that will sit without the stem (mouthpiece) touching the surface. Yeah I go to some seedy places LOL! I do like the Falcon bowl system but they make no such animal that I can find.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Very cool, I am looking for a pipe that will sit without the stem (mouthpiece) touching the surface. Yeah I go to some seedy places LOL! I do like the Falcon bowl system but they make no such animal that I can find.
If it didn't have the canted angle on the bottom, it would sit flat like the ones shown in post #1

View attachment 1388939

View attachment 1388940

View attachment 1388943

View attachment 1388941

View attachment 1388942

Ok, now this is cool! I have never seen anything like it. I may have to look for one

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Thats essentially a variant of the "Captain Warren" shape. Essentially a briar calabash, where there's a briar bowl nesting in a briar body with some space beneath the bowl that acts like a calabash chamber and cools and dries the smoke. I picked up this guy from Smokingpipes a few years ago, which is kind of similar: Ser Jacopo Captain Warren Smooth Cherrywood (L1) | Buy Ser Jacopo Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes.com - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/ser-jacopo/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=209937

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thats essentially a variant of the "Captain Warren" shape. Essentially a briar calabash, where there's a briar bowl nesting in a briar body with some space beneath the bowl that acts like a calabash chamber and cools and dries the smoke. I picked up this guy from Smokingpipes a few years ago, which is kind of similar: Ser Jacopo Captain Warren Smooth Cherrywood (L1) | Buy Ser Jacopo Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes.com - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/ser-jacopo/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=209937
That's outstanding!

Top Bottom