What's new

Unusual Derby Extra Blade

Just completed my 11th shave with a Derby Extra blade, far more than the 3-5 that is typical for me with these blades and only one shy of my overall DE blade record from a Dorco Prime blade. From my original box of 100 ordered over two years ago with the inner wrappers labeled "Amuzebat" versus the typical "Derby" (have some of these too from a box of 200. Was an unusual blade that was a bit rougher on the first shave and then smoothed out nicely by the third shave. Used many blades from that box and they almost all fell in the 3-5 shave range I typically get from Derby Extra. Have rotated across my Van Der Williams blends, Arko, Williams alone and Proraso red soaps with this blade with good results.

Note that I have been adjusting my soap blends and technique a bit and now create a wetter lather with increased residual slickness that gives me better shaves and an extra use or two from my blades. Will be interesting to see if this is just an outlier or the result of my change in technique. Right now guessing the former as none of my other blades (Astra SP and Dorco Stainless & Prime) are delivering 2 -3x the normal number of shaves. Using my Weishi long handle razor with this blade.

I have experienced fairly good shaves with post 2016 Derby Extra blades and will get about 7 - 10 shaves per blade. The Derby Premium and Derby USTA blades perform even better in terms of smoothness, sharpness and blade longevity. In contrast the pre 2016 Derby Extra blades were mostly unusable for me. Perhaps a different type of Derby got mixed into your blade pack?

I have noticed that as I improve my shaving technique and lather building skills, blade longevity has definitely increased. I too am trying to consistently use wetter lathers. These days most blades seem to last at least 10 shaves for me at which point I tend to toss them because I want to try a different blade even though many of them are still shaving well and could probably go much farther.

I have experienced fairly good shaves with post 2016 Derby Extra blades and will get about 7 - 10 shaves per blade. The Derby Premium and Derby USTA blades perform even better in terms of smoothness, sharpness and blade longevity. In contrast the pre 2016 Derby Extra blades were mostly unusable for me. Perhaps a different type of Derby got mixed into your blade pack?

I have noticed that as I improve my shaving technique and lather building skills, blade longevity has definitely increased. I too am trying to consistently use wetter lathers. These days most blades seem to last at least 10 shaves for me at which point I tend to toss them because I want to try a different blade even though many of them are still shaving well and could probably go much farther.
Shaveprentice, thank you for your perspective. Up to 14 shaves now, most ever from any blade I've used. Will keep going on this blade until it gets rough or additional passes are required. Leaning more towards my technique change including wetter lather as the driver here similar to your case. Next blade will be a Dorco stainless or Prime that have been my best blades. A similar or better performance will confirm this longevity is due to technique and not just an outlier. Note that per package designs I believe all my Derby Extra's are post 2016 production.

Of the Derby blades the only one I have liked is the USTA, but I believe all my green boxed blades are sadly pre 2016. I think my brother can actually use them....

Up to 17 shaves now and still going on this blade! May have finally noticed a slight increase in roughness so we will see how much further this blade goes. Has anyone else seen this kind of performance from a Derby Extra blade?

Biggest number I've ever had from Derby Extra was 10. 10 into the bin after a single shave.

That was pre-2016, and I have no idea if they got better since then or not. Not very likely to find out either.

Derby Extra blade retired Friday after 22 shaves (photo below). Personal record from any blade and surprised this is from a Derby versus one of my Astra SPs or Dorco's that typically deliver more shaves. Have used many blades from the green box of 100 this blade came from with nothing close to this many shaves per above.

Interesting to see the corrosion on the blade proper after over three weeks of use. Edges free of corrosion though. Even after all this use the blade was still working, just slowly getting rougher and requiring extra touch up passes to the point where a new blade was warranted.

Next blade is a Dorco Prime. Will be interesting to see if this was a one-off outlier of the result of the technique changes focused on maximizing lather slickness above.

Derby22 shvs.jpg

I suspect all of the Derby Extra blades I have tried are prior to 2016. I cannot use the ones I have. They are not close to being sharp enough. If the new ones are sharper, that is great, but I still do not plan to try them as I have too many excellent blades already and won't risk buying more Derbys.

I suspect all of the Derby Extra blades I have tried are prior to 2016. I cannot use the ones I have. They are not close to being sharp enough. If the new ones are sharper, that is great, but I still do not plan to try them as I have too many excellent blades already and won't risk buying more Derbys.
Makes sense. I've also stopped purchasing blades as I've years worth of Derby, Astra and Dorco blades that all work well.

Since retiring the above Derby Blade I used a Dorco Prime (15 shaves) and am now on another Derby extra (lost count, high teens # shaves, still going). Historically for 2+ years my typical blade usage pattern was 3-5 shaves from Derby and 10-12 from my Dorcos with Astra in-between. Per your Dorco posts my guess is, per my historical experience above, that while the latest Derby blades may be acceptable, you would still realize better results from your Dorco Prime blades.

Believe a change in technique, where adjustments to my blends and use of wetter lather is delivering significantly enhanced slickness, is allowing the blades to work better and last longer. Using wetter lather from all my soaps and my latest blend delivers a level of residual slickness that requires an extra rinse or two to remove after shaving. Curious that the Dorco Prime did not go as long as the Derbys though 3 blades is not enough to confirm a pattern and the Prime's longevity was still excellent. Wondering if the wider cutting edge hone on the Derby Extra blades allows it to resist extended usage wear better.

Note that YMMV also comes into play as my beard density is likely average. Someone with a heavier beard could realize different results.

Top Bottom