What's new

Unusual cocktails

I have a couple bottles of liquor that I need to use up. One bottle of kahlúa (an ex girlfriend liked White Russians) and a bottle of Kirkland bourbon. Took equal parts of each and topped off with sweet tea. It turned out to be pretty good. Let’s hear about any unusual drinks or cocktails that the rest of y’all have tried

That was quite brave of you.....
I'm not very "brave". I did get a bottle of Crown Maple when it first came out. I had recently had some Maple liquor that was quite tasty when in Canada. I found that the Maple went well in a cup of hot apple cider. That's about as adventurous as I get. 🤣

Back in the 80s, my friends and l were partial to Jose Cuervo white tequila and original Mountain Dew. It is surprisingly tasty. A&W cream soda (when it was around still) and Everclear grain alcohol was not without it's charm to the younger version of me. My tastes nowadays leans towards vodka tomato juice concoctions.

Back in the 80s, my friends and l were partial to Jose Cuervo white tequila and original Mountain Dew. It is surprisingly tasty. A&W cream soda (when it was around still) and Everclear grain alcohol was not without it's charm to the younger version of me. My tastes nowadays leans towards vodka tomato juice concoctions.
From what I’ve heard originally Mountain Dew was made by a group distillers (I’m guessing moonshiners) as a mixer for their whiskey in Tennessee. As far as the A&W cream soda it’s still around but it can be harder to find. Nothing wrong with a properly made Bloody Mary

As a Canadian, I have to mention Caesars. The are are huge across the country. Similar to the Bloody Mary in the USA, but much more popular.

You may think Clamato juice is gross, but with vodka and the right spices, it makes a delicious drink!

my friends and l were partial to Jose Cuervo white tequila and original Mountain Dew
The venerable "Red Neck/Hill Billy Margarita." (I mean no disrespect, and those are my "people" anyway.) Not bad at all.

When I was in high school we used to hang around these guys who worked on cars every night in one of their front yards some times. Their drink of choice was Mountain Dew and gin, which we adopted for a time. Again, not bad at all.

But as to unusual cocktails, I would say a South Sea Swizzle is fairly unusual. Batavia Arrack plus green tea syrup, among other things.

your post reminded me my wife used to drink "hillbilly martinis" beer with green olives in the bottle or glass.

I don't tend to mix so any cocktail could be considered "unusual" for me. However one I like is kind of unusual. It mixes gin, vodka and Lillet. 3 parts gin, 1 part vodka, 1/2 part Lillet Blanc, ice, shaken and served up with a twist of lemon. I like using Bombay Sapphire and Ketel One.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've played around or been a part of a number of booze lab experiments, but I don't recall many. Maybe the oddest one I can recall is Captain Morgan and cream soda. It was great until I got sick on it (the same night we put it together, and I haven't had it since.

Bourbon and Fresca

That's like Hilly Kristal's brandy and Fresca.

@MntnMan62 must've spent a little time in MI-6.

Train ride from South Station, Boston, to South Bend, IN, 1986: Mountain Dew and Southern Comfort. Awful.

Last edited:
When I lived in Florida one restaurant made what the bartender called a sh__t kicker cocktail. It consisted of vodka, prune juice, and club soda. I never tried it but did see it ordered and consumed.

When I lived in Florida one restaurant made what the bartender called a sh__t kicker cocktail. It consisted of vodka, prune juice, and club soda. I never tried it but did see it ordered and consumed.
I thought that was a Pile Driver...

When I was preparing for a cross country move, I realized that I had a handle of super cheap vodka that I had been using for airlocks when brewing beer that I didn't feel like moving or tossing. We decided to make an infusion with coffee beans, vanilla beans, and cocoa nibs for a couple of days (maybe some cinnamon sticks). We then decided to mix it with anything that was in our fridge. We ended up mixing it with coconut-almond milk and it made a delicious boozy horchata tasting drink.

Halfway through this, I realized that it would help a lot if I remembered exactly what we did and this makes it sounds like we drank a lot more before moving than we did.

Top Bottom