What's new

Untouched Semogue Boar - how would you break it in?

Greetings,

I am honored to say that I have today in my hands an untouched Semogue boar shaving brush.

How would you break it in?
Some have suggested to soak in water for 3 days.

What’s the best way, not the quickest?
image.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Here is some ideas that might help you decide, I listed about 5 different ways folks break in boar brushes.
Enjoy your new brush and that it gives you years of pleasure.

You should only soak the bristles, not the handle. Put the brush in a mug of water to soak at least several hours (or overnight) before your first time using it. The break in process will occur naturally as you use the brush, if you just let it dry thoroughly after each use. You'll only need to soak the bristles for a few minutes before each shaving session.

Just use the brush like the makers intended. It'll break in no time at all and you'll be happy you broke it in as such. In my mind thats over half the fun with a good Boar is the breaking in period. The change from 1 shave too the next is very satisfying and it only gets better the more you use! Happy shaves :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
How would you break it in?

I'd simply use it like any boar brush. For me, that means a little plastic cup of warm water with the brush soaking in it for five or ten minutes before I shave. Shake it out and build some lather.

I'd expect it to be a bit of a lather-killer right at first. No problem. Great excuse to practice your brush loading technique. Keep piling it on until you win.

I have a cherry Semogue Owner's Club that I was eyeing up the other day. I've used it maybe twice so it's still pretty wiry. But I have an Omega boar that I just can't quit using. Over the last couple of years its broken in very well. Once the Omega dies I'll switch to the Semogue.

Or maybe my son will inherit an almost-unused SOC.

O.H.

I have the 610 (identical apart from the badger effect on the bristles), and I just went for it and used it as if it had been in the circulation for ages.

Seemed to go fine, though it is getting softer as I use it more.
The 610 and 620 have different grades of bristles. Same handle, though, with either red or black accent. Very good face lathering brushes.

We had a pretty good discussion here not too long ago.

I found that building up a strong lather and letting it dry on the brush overnight did a great job of softening the bristles and giving it a great smell to match whichever soap was used.

Enjoy the brush, she's a beaut!

Top Bottom