What's new

Unsubscribing to Emails

I use a MacBook Air and my email software is a Microsoft one (I think). Most advertising emails I receive have content, and have a section at the bottom where I can delete my subscription to the subscription or change the frequency of receipt. Some, however, shows up being said to have "no content" (which indeed they do not), and there is no place to go to delete the subscription that I can find. In a number of this type there is an address that I can write a letter to, but I am not (yet) interested in taking the time or using a stamp. Does anyone know a way to stop this?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If I can't unsubscribe it gets tagged as spam.
If I've never bought anything from them before or visited their site logging in my details, I don't select unsubscribed but treat as spam.
Call me paranoid but I think the unsubscribed button from unknow sites is untrustworthy.

Some, however, shows up being said to have "no content" (which indeed they do not), and there is no place to go to delete the subscription that I can find. In a number of this type there is an address that I can write a letter to, but I am not (yet) interested in taking the time or using a stamp. Does anyone know a way to stop this?

Are you saying you're getting a completely blank email? Or just some kind of spam/marketing email that has no unsub option listed?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
If I can't unsubscribe it gets tagged as spam.
If I've never bought anything from them before or visited their site logging in my details, I don't select unsubscribed but treat as spam.
Call me paranoid but I think the unsubscribed button from unknow sites is untrustworthy.

Same here. I remember reading or hearing somewhere that you should not click the unsubscribe button from unknown email senders.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Clicking that button tells them that have connected an email address with a 'real' person.

Just mark them as spam and let your email program route them to the junk or trash folder for you.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I do not see how to mark it as spam! Nor is the preference setting intuitively obvious!

Untitled.jpg

Your being on a Mac I'm not sure I can help much, but in my Windows Live Mail I click to select the message then click Junk. They never hit my inbox again.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maybe right click the message and Junk/Spam may be in the right click menu?

Are you accessing your email through the mac's built in mail client - "Mail" app - or through the internet browser?

For what it's worth (FWIW) I have seen good success by unsubscribing to emails, as this stops them. In the rare case it doesn't, marking as spam works.

I try not to immediately mark new emails as spam as I realize email lists get resold. And I hope it helps spam filters learn faster.

I think what I am using is Windows Live Mail which I brought over to the Mac when I switched from Windows 7. I did discover that "spam" is the same thing as "junk", and have started marking things as junk. Don't know how long it will take me to figure out if I think if that is stopping unsolicited emails.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Don't know how long it will take me to figure out if I think if that is stopping unsolicited emails.

Some are tenacious lol. I was getting some from a Maria.Tohill@pamperedchef or something. Some political, some not and I set every one as Junk but they kept on coming for quite a while. They did stop though.

Top Bottom