What's new

Unscented splash with alcohol

Are there any? I'm basically looking for a splash version of the Nivea Sensitive Balm - mild, unobtrusive scent. The combination of a splash with alcohol, followed by a good mousturizing balm has done wonders for me in terms of fighting razor burn and generally making my skin feel perfect. Up till now I've used the Nivea balm, because it doesn't clash with any of the splashes I have, but now I started using the Musgo balm, which has a great scent, but doesn't really go along with the splashes.

Have you thought about making your own?

There was a thread here not too long ago where someone was using vodka (!) as an AS. Seemed to work well and, IIRC, someone recommended adding glycerin and possibly water to turn it into a splash. Maybe you could do the same with isopropyl alcohol, glycerin, and a few other ingredients. It would cost less than store bought, too.

Actually, the qualities of an alcohol splash coupled with a soothing balm may be found in Speick AfterShave balm.
A light citrusy scent that vanishes in about a half hour.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Lucido comes to mind first. Thayers has an unscented witch hazel but it's alcohol free I think...

Mild scent, Proraso splash, one of the best AS I ever tried!

I really like Speick but for unscented I'd make my own. There are plenty of recipes floating around. I've started using Golden Grain/Everclear as my base because I wanted more alcohol in the final product. One part grain alcohol to one part witch hazel with a bit of aloe gel and a bit of glycerin will get you started. Adjust to suit. I usually add some essential oils but that's going to give it a fragrance. I've also seen someone that added a crushed uncoated aspirin for a "medicated" splash.

You don't want to use rubbing alcohol

Why not? I've been using denatured alcohol 70% as an AS splash for the last few days and I like it. I'm not sure if that is what you would call "rubbing alcohol" but it must at least be something similar.

Why not? I've been using denatured alcohol 70% as an AS splash for the last few days and I like it. I'm not sure if that is what you would call "rubbing alcohol" but it must at least be something similar.

Well, he's probably talking about isopropyl alcohol, like from the drug store. I'm not sure how good it is for you when applied to the skin in large amounts, but if ingested can be quite toxic. I was told by a friend who happens to be a pharmacist, and has a BA in o-chem, that it can lead to blindness if ingested, as it gets metabolized into something else that your body can't process. Wikipedia also says that absorption is a possible means of poisoning. I'd stick with ethanol, i.e. drinkin' alcohol.

Top Bottom