What's new

Unscented Shave Soaps | Your Favorites | Best Soaps Without Fragrance

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Only time I tried a Sea Buckthorn soap was the EJ version and it gave me a bad rash everywhere it touched, heh.

I hope I didn't unwisely order another soap, but I don't know how to determine much without trying it.

The truth is I've long been fine mostly using nothing but Vitos Red Cocco. I have about a kilo and a half of it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I hope I didn't unwisely order another soap, but I don't know how to determine much without trying it.

The truth is I've long been fine mostly using nothing but Vitos Red Cocco. I have about a kilo and a half of it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I originally ordered the EJ Sea Buckthorn based on the glowing recommendations of several forum members, so it's clearly not a universal reaction. I don't regret the lesson, but I also wont ever forget it, hehe

A dozen years ago, I liked strong scents. Now in my mid-70s, me old mug can't tolerate them. My favorite, and closest to unscented for the past 2 years, is Razorock Plague Doctor. I've stocked up in case it's discontinued. It has a light soapy scent, that face-lathers and performs well with any of my 9 brushes. When I want a little more scent, it's CC Bay Rum or North, or one of my favorite Stirling soaps.
I've been considering Plague Doctor recently (not that I need more soap anytime soon) could you describe the smell?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Would MWF fall into this category 🤔

I used MWF for a good while and found it drying. So I quit using it.

A few times since then I've tried it again. Every time the same thing happens. It dries my skin.

Never again.

Canada Shaving Soap. Lasts forever and super easy to lather with an unreal post-shave

That was a strong contender. Maybe CSS should have been my choice. Your post - an unreal post-shave - adds fuel to the Canada fire.

I'm sure the Ethos soap would be very good, too. I've used two of Frank's scented soaps.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I used MWF for a good while and found it drying. So I quit using it.

A few times since then I've tried it again. Every time the same thing happens. It dries my skin.

Jim
Have you tried experimenting with water content? MWF dries my skin if it's not fully hydrated. When I get it super glossy it's wonderful.

That was a strong contender. Maybe CSS should have been my choice. Your post - an unreal post-shave - adds fuel to the Canada fire.

I'm sure the Ethos soap would be very good, too. I've used two of Frank's scented soaps.

Happy shaves,

Jim
During 2021, when not buying and trying boar knots and brushes (a whole 'nuther topic! I blame DecemBoar!), I bought many new to my soap drawer unscented soaps. Prior to that, I had 3 for almost 2 years: MWS, Mike's, and Shannon's. I now have tried 14 different unscented soaps, with 3 in the drawer that haven't been opened yet (MdC Nature sample, Scheermonnik Puur tub, and MWF grated into a tub).

I tried keeping notes and I also compared prices. Ethos was by far the most expensive for me, at $8.50/oz USD. CSS and Ethos where $32 USD and $34 USD respectively, but CSS is 6.2 oz. whereas Ethos is 4 oz.

I mention this only because cost is a thing, and if something is going to be expensive (as determined by me!), then it needs to out-perform the others. Ethos, while a decent soap for me, didn't do that. Stirling's Beeswax and Sheep are just as good, to my face, and at (then) $14 USD for 5.8 oz. the cost per oz. was ridiculous, under $2.50/oz USD!

The PAA CK-6 Scentsless is another fantastic soap! I decided to use it this morning while the topic was still relevant in this thread. Man, it lathered fast as easy, and recovered well when I purposefully added too much water during the second pass lathering. Just a few painting strokes and the lather went from that frothy-too-much-water look to a shiny, non-runny, slick cream! Wonderful. I look forward to a week or more with this soap soon!

I will heartily endorse Canada Shaving Soap, both for it's excellent performance, and smelling like nothing.

Haven't tried any of the other unscented ones mentioned though, but Stirling Sheep is on it's way to me.

Stirling Sheep arrived today. Can confirm that it has very little scent. Canada Shave Soap still has less (none), to me, but it's an exceedingly minuscule difference.

ABC hard shaving soap. Great performance with no scent - I have sensitive skin and doesnt irritate me (although I know you said its just preference for yoh).

It’s listed as almond scented, but to me it’s scentless once you lather up. Depends on how sensitive your nose is I suppose, but I swear I can’t detect anything, not even a “soapy clean” scent.

Since its a hard soap, it lasts on for ages.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
ABC hard shaving soap. Great performance with no scent - I have sensitive skin and doesn't irritate me (although I know you said its just preference for you).

It’s listed as almond scented, but to me it’s scentless once you lather up. Depends on how sensitive your nose is I suppose, but I swear I can’t detect anything, not even a “soapy clean” scent.

Since it's a hard soap, it lasts on for ages.

It is a very good soap. Actually I like it very very much, but I like the much less expensive Vitos Red even more. Not that I'd call either truly scentless, but I get your point.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I need to buy a new unscented soap soon so this thread appeared at the perfect time.

Canada Shaving Soap works wonderfully for me and despite being pricey it lasts a looooong time. After 30 shaves the tub barely has a dent in it.

Highland Springs Soap Co. "Silence" is another good soap to consider. Unscented but has a slightly noticeable tallow scent.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I need to buy a new unscented soap soon so this thread appeared at the perfect time.

Canada Shaving Soap works wonderfully for me and despite being pricey it lasts a looooong time. After 30 shaves the tub barely has a dent in it.

Highland Springs Soap Co. "Silence" is another good soap to consider. Unscented but has a slightly noticeable tallow scent.

Canada might be my next soap purchase, but I want to try the in transit soap.

1645806538081.png

It's not like I need soap. I have a few pucks.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Could anyone who has multiple unscented soaps explain why one would want multiple unscented soaps?

Scent (or lack thereof) isn't the only distinguishing feature between soaps. I have Canada Shaving Soap and Stirling Sheep. Not having added fragrance is about the only common feature between the two. Well, and that they both perform excellently, but how they get there is different.

Top Bottom