What's new

Unscented Shave Soaps | Your Favorites | Best Soaps Without Fragrance

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
In recent months (or is it years?) I've been drawn to soaps without any appreciable scent or fragrance. I'm interested in perhaps acquiring one or two others.

I've tried very few but I'll mention some which I think worth mentioning.

11-17-21.1.35WR2.SOC-Finest.PAA-CK-6.Scentless.640JPG.JPG

Probably my current favorite would be the Phoenix CK-6 Scentless. It's a highly fatted soap. In spite of costing $25 I think it a reasonably priced soap as the tub seems to last and last. I have no trouble loading it. Lathering it is easy. Others have pointed out how CK-6 soaps can be very heavily loaded with water which is, to me, a major advantage.

I've used this one a lot. I see no downsides to it as a shaving soap. I will definitely buy more.

Valentine's.2022.SemogueLE.Boar.SS-NIL.Sailor.640.JPG

Shannons's Soaps version of an unscented soap is NIL. It's a harder soap than CK-6. My tub seemed a bit light when it arrived which makes me wonder if I was a bit shortchanged. (I didn't weigh it.)

Shipping added a good bit to the soap's price. I've forgotten exactly how much.

I like NIL okay, but see nothing to suggest to me it's quite as much to my liking as CK-6. Don't think I'm badmouthing it. It's a perfectly good soap. CK-6 lathers better according to me and may be slicker and may have better ghost lather, but NIL is no slouch.

2-9-22.Muramasa.Vitos.CH2.TwoBand.640JPG.JPG

A soap which probably shouldn't be on this list is Vitos Red. Also called Vitos Extra Super Cocco, this is a simple soap which actually has two scents, but wait...

I hate the marzipan/almond scent so I cut a chunk off my kilo block and let said chunk air out on the top of chest of drawers for several weeks to get rid of the marzipan scent. What's left is a coconut scent which is there but to a degree I have to try hard to appreciate. In other words, for all practical purposes there is no scent that most of us would notice once the marzipan is gone.

I've used Vitos Red a ton of times. It's an excellent soap in all respects. Plus, even at its currently inflated prices, a kilo is available on eBay for about $33 with shipping. That's dirt cheap.

I like Vitos Red as well as or better than any of the other Italian croaps I've tried, and I've tried quite a few.

1645373306712.png

What scentless soaps have you tried worthy of inclusion in the scentless shaving soap hall of fame? Soaps not worth trying?

I'm not allergic to fragrances nor do they bother my skin as far as I know. I just prefer to shave without them (most of the time).

When considering price I like to know what the shipping's going to run me.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

I am on the same journey. Very limited experiences to date, only MdC Nature and Stirling sheep. the first one is my favourite. While the sheep cares for the skin very well, it does smell like sheep lightly, and that I don’t like. The MdC has a very faint soapy smell and takes vare of your skin like no other. So try to get hold of it, or a sample size… you will not regret it.

ps: I like it so much, the scented MdC soaps are also on my wishlist now, especially the Original and Agrumes.

Haslinger Sensitive uses the latest formulation from Haslinger. Very little scent, just a very slight Aloe Vera type scent. If you buy from some of the Euro vendors, the price is about half the U.S. vendors, around $4.50 per 60g puck. It pays off if you are buying in quantity.

Soap Commander Integrity is a really nice soap with a short ingredient list. No real scent other than the basic ingredients themselves. Contains shea butter which is moisturizing.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am on the same journey. Very limited experiences to date, only MdC Nature and Stirling sheep. the first one is my favourite. While the sheep cares for the skin very well, it does smell like sheep lightly, and that I don’t like. The MdC has a very faint soapy smell and takes vare of your skin like no other. So try to get hold of it, or a sample size… you will not regret it.

ps: I like it so much, the scented MdC soaps are also on my wishlist now, especially the Original and Agrumes.

I've used and liked one of the scented MdC soaps. Well, I say I liked it, and I did, but it didn't like me. I found it terribly drying to my skin.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A dozen years ago, I liked strong scents. Now in my mid-70s, me old mug can't tolerate them. My favorite, and closest to unscented for the past 2 years, is Razorock Plague Doctor. I've stocked up in case it's discontinued. It has a light soapy scent, that face-lathers and performs well with any of my 9 brushes. When I want a little more scent, it's CC Bay Rum or North, or one of my favorite Stirling soaps.

Stirling Beeswax or Haslinger Sensitiv. The Beeswax is a phenomonal base - probably my favorite soap. I like Sheep as well but have to add some EO to cover the mutton funk. I prefer unscented soaps and could live with either Beeswax or Haslinger on a desert island. Mind you, uber fatted artisan soaps usually don't float my boat. I've not tried Shannon's Nil, but I have a tub and samples and think they make great soaps. I'm sure I'd be happy with Nil on a desert island as well.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
WK Bare Naked and Stirling Beeswax are both nice. The unscented MdC is, of course, the king of unscented soaps.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
As an alternative why not try some vintage soaps? Some of my favourites have very little scent depending on their age and how they have been stored. As well as being great to use, they can be fun to seek out and purchase, rather than simply shopping.

I have been using unscented soaps since January 2016, making it six years now.

Several of my favorites have been mentioned already: Mike's, Shannon's, Noble Otter, Stirling, and Canada Shaving Soap.

My soap that all others get compared to is Mystic Water Soap Sensitive Skin. Love, love, love that soap!

The following have all been really good for me. Some are meh and too close to a fave above, but may be WOW for someone else, so I will not divulge that info!
Hub City Soaps Birthday Suit
House of Mammoth Z (for zero)
Zingari Man unscented
Bartigan and Stark Nil
Black Tie #13
vintage William's mug soap has often lost any scent and to my nose has not fragrance.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have been using unscented soaps since January 2016, making it six years now.

Several of my favorites have been mentioned already: Mike's, Shannon's, Noble Otter, Stirling, and Canada Shaving Soap.

My soap that all others get compared to is Mystic Water Soap Sensitive Skin. Love, love, love that soap!

The following have all been really good for me. Some are meh and too close to a fave above, but may be WOW for someone else, so I will not divulge that info!
Hub City Soaps Birthday Suit
House of Mammoth Z (for zero)
Zingari Man unscented
Bartigan and Stark Nil
Black Tie #13
vintage William's mug soap has often lost any scent and to my nose has not fragrance.

Have you tried the PAA CK-6 Unscented? If so, I'd be interested in your comments on it compared with others you know well.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Have you tried the PAA CK-6 Unscented? If so, I'd be interested in your comments on it compared with others you know well.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
This is from my journal on the morning of the first use:
"Holy Moses, what a thick, creamy soap! I probably overloaded, as the brush knot is huge and the soap was brand new. RCS and refreshed, and very, very pleased with the results."

20211106_195005.jpg

And a few days later, I noted that it continued to impress me!

It is a wonderful soap, and I need to use it again soon. It is up for next week's shaves, and I will update this thread (hopefully!) at that time with my fresh thoughts.

I've ordered and will try Mystic Waters

Sensitive Skin (Unscented) with Calendula and Sea Buckthorn.​

We'll see how it goes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mystic Water Soaps had (in the past) a reputation for being difficult. But I find starting with a damp, almost dry brush (synthetic, not sure about natural fibers) and adding water slowly while loading works great for me. In fact, I load almost all of my soaps that way. MWS can be overwhelmed by too much water too soon.

And I think the scent of the natural ingredients is almost intoxicating! 🤪 (but then again, I am a member of the "special" floor residents!
Maine Yooper.jpg

Top Bottom