What's new

Unscented alcohol based splashes

My standard home brew an unscented alcohol based splash. It has 1/3 Everclear and 2/3 unscented Thayers with aloe. The Thayers already has glycerin in it also. Then add menthol crystals, if you like.

What is evergone using in terms of unscented alcohol based aftershave splashes? Which ones do you consider to have the best ingredients?
Phoenix Accoutrements makes an unscented alcohol based aftershave called "Sin". It is a really nice product, but it is hard to find. Thayers WH with alcohol is nice as well.

I second Cryhavoc's suggestion of Fine Snakebite, but you have to like, no, love, alot of menthol. Has virtually no scent, a bit from the menthol. It is not for sissies, BTW.

My standard home brew an unscented alcohol based splash. It has 1/3 Everclear and 2/3 unscented Thayers with aloe. The Thayers already has glycerin in it also. Then add menthol crystals, if you like.
@mr_houston has the right idea. The ingredients are basic and you can mix it at home.

You can also use Dickinson's witch hazel toner, aloe vera gel and vegetable glycerin to mix with the alcohol. Don't use the denatured ethyl alcohol, it has obnoxious chemicals added. That stuff is only good for the workshop.

You could pay $15-20 for a tiny bottle of aftershave, or mix your own and get a much larger quantity for that amount of money.

thayer's astringent witch hazel with aloe...

penhaligon english fern plisson thiers issard la legende flowing thayer witch hazel april 3 2016.jpg

I dont know about that. It smells just like rubbing alcohol to me.

Pure ethanol should not smell like isopropyl rubbing alcohol. That’s the reason denatured ethanol is used in cosmetic products. The problem is that it is very difficult to get untaxed, safely denatured ethanol in the US because our abolitionists have always been very concerned about people drinking literally anything that won’t kill them (and things that will) to make the shakes go away. If you live in a state that lets you buy taxed 190 proof neutral grain spirit for drinking, it might be cheaper and easier to buy that than try to get SD alcohol if you don’t have a source that you can pick up from.

Pure ethanol should not smell like isopropyl rubbing alcohol. That’s the reason denatured ethanol is used in cosmetic products. The problem is that it is very difficult to get untaxed, safely denatured ethanol in the US because our abolitionists have always been very concerned about people drinking literally anything that won’t kill them (and things that will) to make the shakes go away. If you live in a state that lets you buy taxed 190 proof neutral grain spirit for drinking, it might be cheaper and easier to buy that than try to get SD alcohol if you don’t have a source that you can pick up from.
I wonder if it isn't the menthol that I'm smelling. Either way, Lucido is a miss for me. Imo, if someone wants to go unscented, theres cheaper and better options out there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Straight ethanol with no bitterant will have an odor to it, thought it's not the same as isopropyl. It'll also make your nostrils feel terrible if you take a deep whiff with your nose in the glass.

Top Bottom