What's new

Unpopular opinion: Artisan soaps are overrated

Now, before y'all scream at me, please hear me out, and listen carefully. I respect everyone out there that works hard to make a living in this industry, I'm not trying to knock anyone, or their products. I have nothing but respect for any artisan out there who puts their heart and soul into the products that they make. I can completely understand why people would support local artisans, instead of buying products from big corporations.
So that's not what this is about.
Personally, I use a handful of soaps only. Arko being my primary tallow-based soap. and my primary non tallow-based soap being MDC. So yea, the cheapest and most expensive soaps out there.
What do I like about these soaps? Well for one, they have classic scents, I know some people dislike the scent of arko, but to me it smells like a simple and classic soap. This is how I think soaps should smell. Most of these artisan soaps are fragrance bombs, and that is primarily what puts me off. Some even have their scents lingering after the shave is over, this is a big turn-off for me.
I think most soaps (artisan or not) perfom well, but I just don't see why I would pick X artisan soap over Arko or MDC. I must admit I can be a simple guy at times, but if I want a nice scent I will use some cologne after my shave. Most aftershaves and soaps are not meant to be used as a fragrance, but that's almost how I feel a lot of artisan soaps are.
It seems like the scent has to be the biggest sellling point.
So what is the fuss about artisan soaps? Is scent really that important in a soap? I don't think it is, but that's obviously just my opinion. All I care about is a classic mild scent, and a soap that perfroms well in all types of water. I have used plenty of artisan soaps in the past, but for the reasons I described in this thread I have abandoned all of them.
Again, I'm not trying to say artian soaps are bad, but they are certainly not for everyone.
So if you use artisan soaps, what is it that keeps you coming back for more? And if you don't use them, what made you stick to the classics?

Matter of preference of course.
I am pretty new to this but early on figured out that the scents add to the experience.
I found two favorites so far, one classic (Cella) and one artisan (Stirling Mita) for the same reasons:
Great performance, price and a scent that makes me sniff the tub even if i am not shaving :)

Would you use MDC and Arko if they had no scent at all? Do you use shower soap with scent? Hand-soap with scent?

Matter of preference of course.
I am pretty new to this but early on figured out that the scents add to the experience.
I found two favorites so far, one classic (Cella) and one artisan (Stirling Mita) for the same reasons:
Great performance, price and a scent that makes me sniff the tub even if i am not shaving :)

Would you use MDC and Arko if they had no scent at all? Do you use shower soap with scent? Hand-soap with scent?
MDC has a scentless version of their soap, I use that with the fougere.
I have always bought unscented shower gels, they are cheap and scented shower soap doesn't really go well for my skin, since my skin can be sensitive. Same goes for handsoap

Why not just stick to unscented soaps than?
So you do care about scent, so much that you are willing to pay big for a piece of soap.

There are many good performing non-scented soaps out there.

Not quite sure what your argument is, you bought scented good performers, we do,
just different companies.

Why not just stick to unscented soaps than?
So you do care about scent, so much that you are willing to pay big for a piece of soap.

There are many good performing non-scented soaps out there.

Not quite sure what your argument is, you bought scented good performers, we do,
just different companies.
As I already said, I like the classics, not a fan of the "frangrance bombs" as I call them. Just trying to see things from a different perspective.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Your opinion is not that uncommon, and every opinion counts. It’s a very personal, subjective subject. I enjoy the sensory experience, including complexity of scents. A perfect example is B&M Diamond. It smells like a baseball game in Summer and immediately makes me remember days in my youth. It has notes of grass, dirt, caramel and leather. Pure genius, in my opinion. Another example is M&M Cliffs of Moher. Having been to Ireland and stood on the Cliffs, this scent nails it — damp earth, stone and sea. Sure, the urinal cake provides a great lather, but I just don’t enjoy reminiscing about interstate rest stops as much as other fond life events.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My ratio currently is about 80% artisan to 20% old school with soaps. I have Proroso White and two different TOBS. All I can say about why is...for me...variety is simply a pleasant thing when it comes to soap and aftershave. Being able to rotate through various product is nice. I have a few soaps that have a fairly strong scent, but I have never found that the scent of a soap lingers much after I've rinsed and dried my face. Nice when I'm loading the brush and shaving, but gone very soon after.

Last edited:
@Hannah's Dad said: “Sure, the urinal cake provides a great lather, but I just don’t enjoy reminiscing about interstate rest stops as much as other fine life events.” That is the greatest, most succinct, description I’ve ever read, that matches my decision to never use Arko again. Scents can be part of the experience for good or bad. There is no “right” or correct choice, it only has to be the right choice for you.

Well like most I like variety in razors, blades and yes even soaps.
Coming from using only Williams for years I have changed that to include Stirling and most recently A&E and I'm sure there will be others.
I love all three of these soaps - Stirling Barbershop takes me back as a kid getting a haircut at the local shop that was a gathering place for locals and my father to talk about everything at the time. It was a great experience and good memories for me.
A&E Kaizen is a recent purchase and it is amazing, creamy, slick and the scent to me is just well like summer.
Williams is still in my rotation and is a staple with slickness, cushion and a clean powdery scent that also reminds me of that local barbershop.
So, we all get a different experience from something as simple or complex as soap - a great scent that brings back fond memories or just wanting variety in our rotation.
YMMV - my $0.2.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: GNR
I mean, youre not wrong. I enjoy artisan soaps but in the end its all just soap and theres no artisan soap that performs better than TOBS Sandalwood or Proraso Red.
It seems like a lot of artisans like to always say how their soaps are, "impossibly slick" and give a great post shave feel but it all seems pretty much the same to me. Slickness is really more about soap to water ratio than it is whatever soap base you use and if you care about post-shave feel, youre probably better off with a good aftershave balm than with a high-end artisan shave soap anyways.
For me, the big difference from artisans to the more traditional mainstream brands is in scent. With the TOBS or the Prorasos of the world, you have less choice on scent but with artisans, you have a wide range of scents and the scents are more unique and complex.

Well, the artisan soaps are nice, but I wouldn't part ways with my traditional soaps!

Those classics have survived the test of 'time'!

And face the fact, most artisan soaps rarely survive the lifespan (or attention span or spare cash) of the artisan!
Regardless of how great they might be!
Unfortunately, lots of examples.

defunct artisans.jpg

Artisans do introduce a certain dynamic to the Hobby with new products all the time, and a lot of folks like to chase the dragon. I always chuckle when a new soap base gets released that is of course "the best ever" until the next soap base is introduced and you see the BST flooded with the old base so folks can make room for the new ones :D

OP, sure, it's just personal preference. But to try and answer your question just for me:

I have a mix of soaps, but most are artisanal. I love MdC Agrumes for a nice, clean, citrus scent. I love my Haslinger Aloe for a luxurious shave with a very mild scent. But usually, I guess I like fragrance bombs and a variety. My Stirling Spice is a throwback to a classic scent that reminds of how the bathroom smelled after my Dad shaved. Others are based on colognes. Another is B&M Cheshire and I love that earl grey 'aroma'.

Here is just one more personal example. I've sampled some from Ariana and Evans. It's a great soap that my face enjoyed. But I have not yet found a scent I like. Others have.

So, I guess if I'm honest, it's about the scents/bombs and enjoying that experience. With that said, I am not a huge fan of the current super-fatted soaps. We all find enjoyment where we do. It's a nice thing to find no matter where it is.

Definitely a preference thing. Here's my take on it.

Scent is a big factor because people want to smell good during the shave and relive memories that bring with the scents. Not so much for me as I have sensitive schnoz but I do enjoy a mild and subtle citrus scents.

Performance/post-shave. YMMV but artisan soaps tend to have nice fatty ingredients and skin nourishing stuff. Creates nice slick lather, good residual slickness, and extra layer of protection that just helps. It's not necessary but it's nice to have.

Local US artisans. It's nice to support US artisans. For example, Stirling is run by US veteran couple that makes phenomenal product. I'd like to support them rather than a random international soap company.

I don't think that it's an unpopular opinion but it does happen to fall under the 2 phrases we echo all the time...YMMV or MOIMO. In other words, I feel there will always be synthetic lovers, boar lovers, and badger lovers just like there will always be classic soap/cream lovers vs the artisan lovers and everywhere in between. And a lot of us feel strongly about our preferences. In this instance, some appreciate the classics that have weathered the test of time and some appreciate the myriad of different scents available and the different shaving experiences (post-shave, residual slickness...etc) from the artisans. It doesn't mean that anyone is wrong in their opinions, it's just part of what makes this hobby/passion fun and exciting.

For me, I like the artisans for a few reasons. I appreciate the moisturizing post-shave feel from them as I have sensitive skin and I have found it definitely helps. I also don't wear cologne or the like due to my job and so have a little bit of residual scent from shaving that wears off in a few hours is nice and unobtrusive for me. And Mrs. BEARDoc likes it that way too. All in all as we say, YMMV.

Top Bottom