What's new

Unnecessary purchase conundrum...

Yes, he must be. Usually people complain that they're too aggressive, especially the early ones.
Version 2 has less exposure than the earlier version and no gap. Unless you are using unnecessary pressure it is not an aggressive feeling razor at all. Version 1 had more cap span and was a bit less rigid and more bladey for sure.

Not at all. Theyre very mild. FaTips have very little blade gap. Really, the only things they have going for them is being open comb.
I think it's the blade exposure, actually. I have a later model piccolo. Doesn't feel crazy aggressive but it's also not like a tech or a Merkur 34.

I have both, Fatip is more efficient and has a longer lasting BBS but GC.84 is still excellent, heavier/feels better in the hand, has better tolerances and has a bigger handle. The GC has a standard threading so is compatible with a variety of razor handles; the Fatip has different threading so compatible handles are less available.

The B&B response is "buy both" and I hate to give this response but tbh I think they are different enough to warrant having both of them. I rotate between both.

Buy Fatip Piccolo and Grande Testina Gentile, both in Chrome. You will effectively have 3 different razors. Parts are interchangeable. Piccolo head on Grande handle = Grande Open Comb.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Unless you are using unnecessary pressure it is not an aggressive feeling razor at all.

Theyre very mild. FaTips have very little blade gap. Really, the only things they have going for them is being open comb.

I've never found my Grande aggressive, but I do use it aggressively. I've not used a more efficient DE. The only other razor I have used thats more efficient is the GEM MMOC.

I'd call it a mild shaver too, with the proper technique.

Buy Fatip Piccolo and Grande Testina Gentile, both in Chrome. You will effectively have 3 different razors. Parts are interchangeable. Piccolo head on Grande handle = Grande Open Comb.

1529701107538.gif

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Not at all. Theyre very mild. FaTips have very little blade gap. Really, the only things they have going for them is being open comb.
No, Fatips are not mild they are smooth compared to razors with gap which are rougher generally speaking. The Fatip also clamps the blade forward towards the end of the cap and plate making for a very rigid clamp. Most razors depend on spring action, bend of the blade, for rigidity with the clamp point further back on the baseplate than the cap which allows for chatter as baldes are thin. All of this combined make for a smoother razor in the Fatip without loss of efficiency. An aggressive razor, one that always feels prone to bite, is aggressive due to being poorly designed. A rigid clamped razor with gap like the Gillette NEW SC is a smoother razor to its sister the NEW LC because of clamping distance. Some say the LC is better because it is more aggressive. This is not true the SC is as efficient but it is smooth, not rough, like the LC due to the LC's lack of blade rigidity. The Gillette OLD Type is superior to both of them because it is blade rigid without gap like the Fatip, and is smoother and more efficient than both the LC and SC due to blade exposure. The Old Type proves gap is the enemy and a rigid blade exposure rules. The Gillette Techs are what would be called mild razors, not worth the powder to blow them up, even though the Post War is a rigid design.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This is not true the SC is as efficient but it is smooth, not rough, like the LC due to the LC's lack of rigidity. The Gillette OLD Type is superior to both of them because it is blade rigid without gap like the Fatip, and is smoother and more efficient than both the LC and SC due to blade exposure. The Old Type proves gap is the enemy and rigid exposure rules.

amen-brotha-preach-it-troll-me-when-bibletruth-is-preached-329550.png

and

No, Fatips are not mild they are smooth compared to razors with gap which are rougher generally speaking. The Fatip also clamps the blade forward towards the end of the cap and plate making for a very rigid clamp. Most razors depend on spring action, bend of the blade, for rigidity with the clamp point further back on the baseplate than the cap which allows for chatter as baldes are thin. All of this combined make for a smoother razor in the Fatip without loss of efficiency. An aggressive razor, one that always feels prone to bite, is aggressive due to being poorly designed. A rigid clamped razor with gap like the Gillette NEW SC is a smoother razor to its sister the NEW LC because of clamping distance. Some say the LC is better because it is more aggressive. This is not true the SC is as efficient but it is smooth, not rough, like the LC due to the LC's lack of blade rigidity. The Gillette OLD Type is superior to both of them because it is blade rigid without gap like the Fatip, and is smoother and more efficient than both the LC and SC due to blade exposure. The Old Type proves gap is the enemy and a rigid blade exposure rules. The Gillette Techs are what would be called mild razors, not worth the powder to blow them up, even though the Post War is a rigid design.
I dont know about that. Ive a Boker rebranded FaTip and its pretty mild. Its a notch or 2 above a Weishi and you really have to watch your angle with it or else it wont shave close. YMMV, though. ;)

I think it's the blade exposure, actually. I have a later model piccolo. Doesn't feel crazy aggressive but it's also not like a tech or a Merkur 34.
Yup, the blade exposure comes from it being open comb. Thats the funny thing about it, a razor can be super mild but still not feel mild if it has more blade exposure.
An example of this that comes to mind is the PAA Bakelite Slant. Its actually super mild, with minimal blade gap but it feels aggressive because it has a ton of blade exposure, due to being open comb. Not to mention its a slant.

Top Bottom