What's new

Unlikely comparison: Timeless .95 OC & Maggard V3A

I bought a Timeless last week. It arrived nearly overnight. I set my expectations to 'reasonable' since I already own some higher end razors and have not always been super impressed, considering the esteem they receive.

It only took a few strokes to bring a smile to my face. This thing, at least to me, shaves just like the Maggard V3A (also sold as the RazoRock Mission I believe? Or is it the other one?) Anyway, it's been one of my favorite razors since I started using DEs.

Does anyone else own the two? And if so, do you notice the similarity? I suppose it could just be me...

If you do own both, would you be willing to compare the two and share your experience here? I'm going to do the same.

higher end razors and have not always been super impressed, considering the esteem they receive.
Ain't that the truth? People always posting how their new high-dollar razor is THE ULTIMATE SHAVING EXPERIENCE. A year later, the bloom is off the rose and they quietly post it for sale lol. This is not exclusive to razors, there's a need to justify the expense to yourself and others. Truth is, they had the double edge head designs 95% of the way to ideal 70 years ago. Not that I mind expensive razors, I've had a few myself and learned this lesson. Nothing wrong with buying a nice boutique razor for the pleasure of owning a boutique razor. But it's funny to watch them fall into this hole over and over again.

Ain't that the truth? People always posting how their new high-dollar razor is THE ULTIMATE SHAVING EXPERIENCE. A year later, the bloom is off the rose and they quietly post it for sale lol. This is not exclusive to razors, there's a need to justify the expense to yourself and others. Truth is, they had the double edge head designs 95% of the way to ideal 70 years ago. Not that I mind expensive razors, I've had a few myself and learned this lesson. Nothing wrong with buying a nice boutique razor for the pleasure of owning a boutique razor. But it's funny to watch them fall into this hole over and over again.
I wanted to be careful not to twist the panties of those who feel the need to defend what they quietly realize they overspent on. But honestly, Timeless makes a fine product. I'm not unhappy about having an heirloom quality version of the V3A and besides, I bought scratch and dent and only bought the head in the cheapest finish. Not a flaw anywhere on it so an incredible deal overall.

I wanted to be careful not to twist the panties of those who feel the need to defend what they quietly realize they overspent on. But honestly, Timeless makes a fine product. I'm not unhappy about having an heirloom quality version of the V3A and besides, I bought scratch and dent and only bought the head in the cheapest finish. Not a flaw anywhere on it so an incredible deal overall.
I own a timeless ti polished. It's a pretty razor and it shaves great. I like it for what it is. But $300 is only scratching the surface of high end razors and is about as much as I'd spend.

Great thread!!

This is precisely the sort of question where B&B shines!! B&B folks are enthusiastic about ‘high-end’ exclusive hardware, bargain basement clones, and vintage rarities.
All of these routes can get me the quality shaves I enjoy!! :a29:

Great thread!!

This is precisely the sort of question where B&B shines!! B&B folks are enthusiastic about ‘high-end’ exclusive hardware, bargain basement clones, and vintage rarities.
All of these routes can get me the quality shaves I enjoy!! :a29:
Indeed. I enjoy my $4 razors as much as I enjoy my $250 razors, and everything in between!

When it comes to modern razors there is a big middle. Does a $300 razor shave better than the $2 one on Amazon? Most likely, but so does a $25 razor from Maggard, Stirling, WCS, etc. Do those house branded razors shave better than a Merkur, EJ, of Muhle? Probably not significantly better. I'm not even convinced they are made significantly better, save some cosmetics. Of course a higher-end razor will be made better than most modern razors, and if that is important to you, feel free to spend the money. If it's not, or money is a concern, you can spend $30 and get a Merkur, EJ, Maggard, etc. and get the same same shave at a fraction of the cost. Or take that money and get a decent vintage razor.

So yeah... it's not my imagination. I shaved with the V3A tonight and that sucker shaves so much like the Timeless .95 that they may as well be twin brothers. Because my T95 is an OC, it provides audible feedback but not as much as the V3A. And the V3A doesn't have quite as much blade exposure as the T95. The T95 head is bulkier, but that roundness is what makes it so smooth, regardless of what angle you choose. The Maggard V3A requires a tad narrower angle but is so smooth and efficient that, if not for it's slightly less bulky design, would be indistinguishable from the T95 with my eyes closed. They are both great razors and I'm surprised how much I like the Timeless. I'm also glad that it made me get out the V3A again :)

I am BBS by the way, with zero irritation tonight. The Timeless gave me sliiiight irritation but it was due to the needed extra passes from having to learn its angle for the first time. I wonder if the straight bar is an even closer match!

Yes own the mission and v3a can't tell a difference. Yintal brass razors head also looks identical, but don't own that one. Keep in mind for some of the more expensive razors (timeless, karve, feather as-d2, GC etc.)your somewhat paying for a head that is not made of zamak. For modern razors seems like fatip is the one exception afaik.

Top Bottom