What's new

Unleash you safe queen pistols.

Can't carry without holster wear? Bah!

My nickel P7M13 has been fired a few times but not much. Some wear if you look close but almost new. I've been advised that the nickel finish is weak, no way to carry without damaging the finish. My OCD demanded a solution.

After wracking my brain for a day or so eliminating possibilities I came up with what I think will work so safe queens can safely be carried without holster wear. What do we put on our feet to keep our shoes from rubbing blisters? A sock.

I took a piece of sheepskin, folded it over the holstered area fur side in, and marked the outline. I ran a glue line along the outline, folded it over fur side out, and weighted it down till the glue dried. After snipping off the excess and turning it fur side in, it makes a soft form fitting sock.

When holstering to carry I'll put the sock on the barrel/trigger guard, then insert the whole thing into the holster. There is no friction on the usual finish wear areas in or out. The sock stays put if I draw the pistol. The fabric sheepskin is washable but I got a yard for 10 bucks and I only used a small square. Took me all of 10 minutes to make one.

I know it's a whacky idea but I think it will work very well.
gunsock.jpeg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Can't carry without holster wear? Bah!

My nickel P7M13 has been fired a few times but not much. Some wear if you look close but almost new. I've been advised that the nickel finish is weak, no way to carry without damaging the finish. My OCD demanded a solution.

After wracking my brain for a day or so eliminating possibilities I came up with what I think will work so safe queens can safely be carried without holster wear. What do we put on our feet to keep our shoes from rubbing blisters? A sock.

I took a piece of sheepskin, folded it over the holstered area fur side in, and marked the outline. I ran a glue line along the outline, folded it over fur side out, and weighted it down till the glue dried. After snipping off the excess and turning it fur side in, it makes a soft form fitting sock.

When holstering to carry I'll put the sock on the barrel/trigger guard, then insert the whole thing into the holster. There is no friction on the usual finish wear areas in or out. The sock stays put if I draw the pistol. The fabric sheepskin is washable but I got a yard for 10 bucks and I only used a small square. Took me all of 10 minutes to make one.

I know it's a whacky idea but I think it will work very well.View attachment 1633347

That’s not a whacky idea; that’s a genius idea! :)

I don’t have anything even close to that P7, but when I do, you can bet your *** I will be following suit with you ingenious ingenuity! :)

I wouldn’t carry a gun I wasn’t prepared to see get damaged or have to part with for an extended period of time. Accidents happen. Things get dropped. Also, in my neck of the woods - if you ever pull a gun out of your holster in public, and especially if you use it - you’re definitely not going home with it. In a conflict - sometimes guns are dropped, dragged (or kicked) across concrete, handled roughly by the authorities, etc.

I love my P7M8, and it is the definition of a safe queen - and for me it’ll stay that way. I’m not ashamed to say it. It’s my favorite pistol, and incredibly accurate - but it’s heavy and as a total package doesn’t offer a greater value prop (to me) over more modern alternatives. The guns that leave my house in holsters - Glocks or a J frame - are entirely replaceable, will rise to any occasion my custom 1911’s, P7M8 and other safe queens can handle and have little to no $ or sentimental value to me.

I salute you for the innovative work around you’ve come up with though - and salute you a second time for carrying that lovely pistol.

OkieStubble

I wouldn’t carry a gun I wasn’t prepared to see get damaged or have to part with for an extended period of time. Accidents happen. Things get dropped. Also, in my neck of the woods - if you ever pull a gun out of your holster in public, and especially if you use it - you’re definitely not going home with it. In a conflict - sometimes guns are dropped, dragged (or kicked) across concrete, handled roughly by the authorities, etc.

I love my P7M8, and it is the definition of a safe queen - and for me it’ll stay that way. I’m not ashamed to say it. It’s my favorite pistol, and incredibly accurate - but it’s heavy and as a total package doesn’t offer a greater value prop (to me) over more modern alternatives. The guns that leave my house in holsters - Glocks or a J frame - are entirely replaceable, will rise to any occasion my custom 1911’s, P7M8 and other safe queens can handle and have little to no $ or sentimental value to me.

I salute you for the innovative work around you’ve come up with though - and salute you a second time for carrying that lovely pistol.

Having your immaculate P7 sitting in a dusty old police property room waiting for months and possibly years for your self defense case to hit a court docket, is the things that nightmare's are made of. :)

Many collectors never carry their prized firearms. Nothing unusual in wanting to protect their investment. I'm not a collector though.

"In most cases an inquest docket will be opened by the police to determine if it was really a self defense and the weapon will be confiscated. If they are satisfied that it was self defense, they don't press charges and return the weapon to the owner." That might depend on your local political climate. Not worried down here in the deep south.

It's rare to have a firearm permanently confiscated unless it was used in the commission of a crime. Justifiable self defense? You will most likely get it back but it could take some time. If that happens I've got a few more to carry until then. This one is indeed heavy and it will never be an EDC.

I agree that having it placed into evidence would be unpleasant but I'm only planning to carry it occasionally. I've been carrying for 40 years and have never had to draw my EDC. If I have to use it in self defense I won't hesitate. To me there is no worth to the guns in the safe beyond what you could sell them for. They just take up space. My take is that if you want to stash something valuable buy some gold coins or bars.

Historically significant firearms are another consideration. The only one I won't take out and use is an unmolested WWII paratrooper carbine. The stocks are prone to cracking and its' historical value intact is more important than monetary considerations.

If I buy a relatively modern handgun I will carry it. No exceptions. And I've never dropped one. Had one slide down inside my pants leg once though when the IWB clip broke. :) Definitely an awkward moment.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Many collectors never carry their prized firearms. Nothing unusual in wanting to protect their investment. I'm not a collector though.

"In most cases an inquest docket will be opened by the police to determine if it was really a self defense and the weapon will be confiscated. If they are satisfied that it was self defense, they don't press charges and return the weapon to the owner." That might depend on your local political climate. Not worried down here in the deep south.

It's rare to have a firearm permanently confiscated unless it was used in the commission of a crime. Justifiable self defense? You will most likely get it back but it could take some time. If that happens I've got a few more to carry until then. This one is indeed heavy and it will never be an EDC.

I agree that having it placed into evidence would be unpleasant but I'm only planning to carry it occasionally. I've been carrying for 40 years and have never had to draw my EDC. If I have to use it in self defense I won't hesitate. To me there is no worth to the guns in the safe beyond what you could sell them for. They just take up space. My take is that if you want to stash something valuable buy some gold coins or bars.

Historically significant firearms are another consideration. The only one I won't take out and use is an unmolested WWII paratrooper carbine. The stocks are prone to cracking and its' historical value intact is more important than monetary considerations.

If I buy a relatively modern handgun I will carry it. No exceptions. And I've never dropped one. Had one slide down inside my pants leg once though when the IWB clip broke. :) Definitely an awkward moment.

I think I lean this way myself. I'm not a collector, so If I happen to have a lusted after, premium grade classic like a P7 or really clean High Power, etc? I want it on my hip at a big Bar-B-Q shin dig, sooner or later. :) The only thing sexier than a pristine pistol, is one that is boogered up with character marks by being put to use by it's owner.

Unless you're a collector of course. :)

I think I lean this way myself. I'm not a collector, so If I happen to have a lusted after, premium grade classic like a P7 or really clean High Power, etc? I want it on my hip at a big Bar-B-Q shin dig, sooner or later. :) The only thing sexier than a pristine pistol, is one that is boogered up with character marks by being put to use by it's owner.

Unless you're a collector of course. :)
Speaking of BBQs'. I'm in a weird location. We have open carry but nobody does. If I wore the P7 openly it would attract too much attention since no one else's would be visible. It's a conundrum. Nice pistol, but except for range time only I can see it.

You LE guys are used to open carry. Guess I never will be.

OkieStubble

Speaking of BBQs'. I'm in a weird location. We have open carry but nobody does. If I wore the P7 openly it would attract too much attention since no one else's would be visible. It's a conundrum. Nice pistol, but except for range time only I can see it.

You LE guys are used to open carry. Guess I never will be.

I dunno, I don’t never open carry in plain clothes either. Just feels weird. :)

I traded my only safe queen for a carbine that I can use for hunting. I just never got into the pretty pistol game. I much prefer beautiful rifles and shotguns. Pistols are utilitarian to me. I do like seeing the nice pics of beautiful pistols you guys post, but I have no urge to buy any of them….

I traded my only safe queen for a carbine that I can use for hunting. I just never got into the pretty pistol game. I much prefer beautiful rifles and shotguns. Pistols are utilitarian to me. I do like seeing the nice pics of beautiful pistols you guys post, but I have no urge to buy any of them….
Pretty? Oh now you have gone and done it. :) Pink girlie guns are pretty. Mine is flash.

I mentioned this in the SA35 thread. Thought I would share it here. It's basically a safe queen. I'm too busy with school to get out and shoot much.
Browning MKIII Hi Power, worked over by Don Williams at Action Works.

Know Don thought he retired, use to be The Hi-Power Expert.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I mentioned this in the SA35 thread. Thought I would share it here. It's basically a safe queen. I'm too busy with school to get out and shoot much.
Browning MKIII Hi Power, worked over by Don Williams at Action Works.

You DEFINITELY don't want that boogered up or sliding down the inside of your pants leg!

Sorry @HDSledge and @OkieStubble , but you left me some low hanging fruit.

I should probably rephrase that...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks. From a time that I was working full time and not in school full time...broke. Oh well, looking forward to a new career.
I was a little older than you when I changed careers. Best thing I ever did besides letting my wife marry me, lol.

But change ain't always easy, and changing careers is one of the hardest things I ever did. Blessings to you my friend!

Top Bottom