What's new

Unknown Chinese Pens?

For $15 you can get a Pilot Metropolitan and for under $10 shipped you can get a Pilot 78G.

Both of those are far better than that $6 pen.

I like the Chinese Jinhao pens, they seem to run around $7.00 shipped. Look nice and write well, not in the same league as a Waterman, but you can carry one without worrying about losing it!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There are folks who seem to like some of the Chinese pens, though it can be a gamble. Folks that seem to like them also seem to buy several, because they generally get one or two that don't work.
Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.
Might be worth a gamble if it wouldn't bother you that once you received it, it either didn't work or required major work to get it in writing shape.
Otherwise, there are plenty of good starter pens out there for not a whole lot more than that, though they may not be as garishly decorated.
The Chinese pens always struck me as rather parvenu, and I believe I would personally be more likely to procure one if they toned down the glitter a bit.

Ah. I may try some of the mentioned pens at some point. I have a platnium preppy on the way from Goulet, I hear good things about them. Got the eyedropper conversion. Good alternative to my Parker Urban.

It really is hit or miss. I do recommend Jinhao and Kaigelu. The latter are a bit more expensive than others but worth it. My Kaigelu 316 is worth the $25 the only thing I did not like about it is the converter.

Rick

my thoughts on a pen are when in doubt don't

"It is a Chinese brand, High quality product.Be reassured please!!!"

the words Chinese and High quality do not go together. I am not reassured.

you do have 30 Days Return it.

If it were me and I needed a cheep Fountain Pen Pelikano Junior. Its the Volkswagen of Fountain Pen's.

I've got a Wing Sung pen, which is functionally similar although different in appearance. An American dealer who carries some cheap Chinese pens (along with better things) had it on closeout for $1.75, so I threw it in as part of a larger order just out of curiosity. It turned out to work well enough, so it's possible that this other one might be okay, too. Unless you're just curious, as I was, though, I wouldn't bother with these really cheap no-name types. Better to get, say, the low end Pilot models that DunEdinRanger mentioned.

Any of the pens at BentonClay work and he will stand behind them. They are cheaper chinese pens. One of my favorite carry pens in my chef coat was a Fuliwen but I gave it to someone when they left the restaurant.

Ive had a few Chinese pens, my jinhao was okay but after a while i had to tinker with it, the converters they come with are very cheap and one of them blew up on me (ask dave about my cats blue mohawk) I gave my last jinhao away, and i can tell you my other pens write a lot nicer and behave a lot better,... to me saving a couple of bucks over the 78G or the metro just isnt worth the fuss some of the chinese can give you

I would plus one the others advice spend a few dollars more and save what could be some great aggrivation

(second try) Come on guys, we're talking about a pen for less that $8, the cost of a couple of good beers, or an upscale burger. I have bought quite a few Chinese pens. Most have been OK, some have been great, some needed lots of tweeking to make work right. There is little "wow factor". You can't turn your nose up and ask, "Have you seen my Namiki Emperor?"

This $6 Hero 808 writes great, has a quality feel, some style and a "Western" rather than Asian look.
proxy.php

I say, if it feels good, do it. (The white stuff on the pen is pocket lint)

Top Bottom