What's new

United Nations

Stauff said:
Actually, France wasn't one of the winners of the War. The French were defeated and they unconditionally surrendered in 1940 after one of the biggest military catastrophes in modern history. In 1945 a couple of leftover french tanks did indeed cross the Rhine well after Patton did... The french 'victory' in WWII is just a national myth made up to compensate for the humiliation the nation had suffered. Even as we speak, french military power is part of this effort to forget about '40. But my real point is: the security council is indeed partially an artificial thing. Permanent seats for Germany and Japan! (which would actually increase the weight of the West - I mean Japan has changed as well since '45 hasn't it?)

I know the French actually lost, but I was talking the way just about every historian describes it in history textbooks (at least US history textbooks, I've never had the opportunity to read a European version of the events leading up to the formation of the UN). Most of the US textbooks include France as a victor primarily because it was an "Allied" victory and thus, even though France was technically no longer a nation, at the time, as a result of their surrender to Germany they are included regardless.

Anyway I was thinking about this after I posted yesterday and what is so special about the 5 that have veto power? If it was a factor of their being the supposed victor in WWII (which is what every text I have read says) then I say we give veto power to every nation that was eventially victorious over the Germans and Japanese, even if they surrendered as the French did. Thus nearly every European nation; minus maybe Austria, Switzerland, and Italy since they never truly fought German rule (at least that is my understanding); most of the Northern Africa nations, most of the Middle East, and much of the Asia Pacific region. Hmmm, with that many differing nations having veto I'm pretty sure the UN would become completely useless and nothing would EVER get done.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Stauff said:
Actually, France wasn't one of the winners of the War. The French were defeated and they unconditionally surrendered in 1940 after one of the biggest military catastrophes in modern history.

Surely you're not suggesting that the US simply marched into France, took control, and handed the entire nation back to the French? For such an aggressive, imperialistic, mean spirited, hegemonistic nation as ours, those actions might be misconstrued by the unenlightened as being almost charitable.:rolleyes:

ouch said:
Surely you're not suggesting that the US simply marched into France, took control, and handed the entire nation back to the French? For such an aggressive, imperialistic, mean spirited, hegemonistic nation as ours, those actions might be misconstrued by the unenlightened as being almost charitable.:rolleyes:

If you ask me many french people believe it was General De Gaulle who liberated France, with some minor help of the US and the UK. We Belgians however are eternally grateful :wink:

ouch

Stauff said:
If you ask me many french people believe it was General De Gaulle who liberated France, with some minor help of the US and the UK. We Belgians however are eternally grateful :wink:

I'll take the complement, but, frankly, we were moving through Europe so fast we didn't even notice that we liberated you.:lol:

ouch

Stauff said:
Sure. The Russians moved a bit quicker though.:laugh:

As anti-Soviet as I am, I'll be the first to admit that they deserved to enter Berlin first. Their people took an unmerciless pounding during the war.

Top Bottom