What's new

Unexpected Travel Kit Lesson

I've got a nice compact toiletry bag that I picked up in London, way too long ago. Still does the trick.

Up until now, I would pack my trusty NY Shaving Co. travel brush, a tube of cream, a stand, and a cartridge razor.

I saw a review of La Toja's shave stick and decided to check it out. Seems ideal for travel.

Everything was coming up roses at first: Excellent lather with a nice subtle aroma. The brush, small as it is, was more than up to the task.

Then I broke out the razor. New blade(s). The bag has the compartment you see in the photo as an excellent spot for the tool.

Here's the kicker: I nicked myself with it.

I literally cannot remember when/if I ever cut myself with a cartridge razor.

So I'm figuring that, after two months of working on my technique with a DE (just started up again after a long absence), I've either forgotten my cartridge technique or (more likely) I just let my guard down; figuring it's so much "easier" than a DE.

Today I went back to my Rocca and it just felt so much better...

So the lesson is that I'll now be packing one of my DE razors, in it's case with a cap, in this kit from now on.

IMG_0187.jpg

Hmmm…i hadn’t thought about that.

We usually travel light with air travel. Shaving kit is in carry on and they never bother about the cartridge. Would break my heart if they took one of my safety razors. Looks like airline ventures will have to stay w the cartridge. Road trips will be the safety razor.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hmmm…i hadn’t thought about that.

We usually travel light with air travel. Shaving kit is in carry on and they never bother about the cartridge. Would break my heart if they took one of my safety razors. Looks like airline ventures will have to stay w the cartridge. Road trips will be the safety razor.
Yeah, I've lost more pocket knives to TSA than I have fingers.

My excuse: ADHD!

I’ve never been comfortable flying. My wife loves to travel…so I’ve had to get used to it. We do a lot of road trips, though. Lots of trips to Vermont and Maine.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’ve never been comfortable flying. My wife loves to travel…so I’ve had to get used to it. We do a lot of road trips, though. Lots of trips to Vermont and Maine.
I've never seen to either the New England or the Pacific Northwest... Pretty much everywhere else in this Kountry, and to Canadia quite a bit as a Stoopid Lad.... My werd the stuff I used to do. I definitely got as MUCH better son than I deserved.

Thanks—leaning towards bulb, for mostly aesthetic reasons since I’ve never tried the fan shape. Good to read your comments re face lathering.

I've never seen to either the New England or the Pacific Northwest... Pretty much everywhere else in this Kountry, and to Canadia quite a bit as a Stoopid Lad.... My werd the stuff I used to do. I definitely got as MUCH better son than I deserved.
Feel the same way about my daughter. Lucked out she wasn’t like me.

Interesting....when I used to travel more, I had---well I still carry in each carry one and backpack: a plastic sealed bag with: toothbrush and paste, a deodorant and a throw away razor (Personna 2 blade or Bic), and used hotel conditioner as cream....ahh and their lotion as aftershave..... always worked.... . Those baggies are still in the bags...but I don't use them...

@FarmerTan - If'n you ever make it up the very NW of the PNW give me a holler. Our local breweries and distillers are second to none and the views around these parts are amazing. We've also got a lot of them Canadia license plates around that might trigger a good story or two it sounds like.

@FarmerTan - If'n you ever make it up the very NW of the PNW give me a holler. Our local breweries and distillers are second to none and the views around these parts are amazing. We've also got a lot of them Canadia license plates around that might trigger a good story or two it sounds like.
Northeast USA has some of the best breweries (and distilleries) on the planet. And it's definitely a treat to enjoy the views while sampling the wares.

Are you a brew or distiller meister, yourself?

@gitapik - I am neither a brew meister or distiller. Merely an enthusiastic imbiber of of creations from those gifted folks. I do want to get out to the northeast at some point again with my wife and kiddos. It's a pretty magical place in the USA and I definitely want them to see it.

@gitapik - I am neither a brew meister or distiller. Merely an enthusiastic imbiber of of creations from those gifted folks.
Then we belong to the same club!

We spend a lot of time in the Northeast. Much of it in on a lake in Vermont; about 45 minutes north of Montpelier. If you're in the vicinity; check out the Barr Hill operation:

Excellent distillers!

A good friend of mine is a barbecue (and food, in general) genius and pro bass fisherman. They hire him to do weekend "events" on the grounds there during the summer and fall. Brings his trailer, sets up, and makes a lot of people happy.

🍻

@gitapik - I am neither a brew meister or distiller. Merely an enthusiastic imbiber of of creations from those gifted folks. I do want to get out to the northeast at some point again with my wife and kiddos. It's a pretty magical place in the USA and I definitely want them to see it.
You need to find your way to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, Maine. Stunningly beautiful and very family friendly. Also, quite laid back. Lots of local breweries...what’s not to like?

You need to find your way to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, Maine. Stunningly beautiful and very family friendly. Also, quite laid back. Lots of local breweries...what’s not to like?
Magnificent park, Hms123. Cadillac Mountain is awesome. And yeah: the breweries nearby are top notch! Great rec!

I consider my cartridge razor and my Leaf Razors as nearly nickproof. Problem is, if I get a little overconfident and don’t pay attention, I can get nicks with either. (My experience, not saying it is what happened to you). But, of course, most of my DE nicks are from lack of focus, too heavy a hand, etc.

I consider my cartridge razor and my Leaf Razors as nearly nickproof. Problem is, if I get a little overconfident and don’t pay attention, I can get nicks with either. (My experience, not saying it is what happened to you). But, of course, most of my DE nicks are from lack of focus, too heavy a hand, etc.
I've thought about it and come up with a combination of not paying attention and having gotten used to relying on the weight of the head to do the "thinking" for me. The Rocca has a heavy head and it works just right for me.

Top Bottom