What's new

unexpected forced patina

To clean up my made in Canada Old Type, I started off by soaking it in water and dish soap, same as last time.

But this time I got crazy patina on the top of the top cap, and maybe a bit on the tines. Wherever there has been the most wear, so it seems.

It’s kind of cool, though not what I expected. I am going to live with it for now, and consider whether to polish it away next time and return to bright brass.

Anyone have thoughts on why this happened? Pic of the dish soap ingredients is at the bottom of the following series. I might have used a different scent of the same brand last time, I can’t say with any certainty. For sure nothing like this happened before.

8EF32BAE-89A2-4CE2-B545-8EA3D5B5E62A.jpeg

E67A10F4-010A-4F06-B5C5-23D254303AFE.jpeg

2E674F6F-9FFB-4226-9B22-A7E78A9488E9.jpeg

Acute oxidative stress. It's the sodium laureate with those other oils combined that caused a volatile chemical reaction to the brass.

Most likely you could buff it away with some Brasso or something.

If your razor isn't plated I think a good option would be an ultra sonic cleaner.

I recall a user on these boards suggest ketchup to clean off patina and as weird as it sounds, it truly does work. Was trying to force patina my Blackbird but it came out a bit weird, slathered it in ketchup and bam! after a few minutes scrubbed right off

Ketchup! No one in this house likes it, but by coincidence we got six (6!) packets of it today with a small order of fries and a hotdog. I was wondering what we would do with the stuff, and now I know. Thanks for this.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
To me, patina is not forced but acquired over time and developed with normal use. Simulating patina is called distressing according to wikipedia.

At any rate, I'd stay away from acids and salts (which seem to be in your cleaner) plus those strong detergents (SLS, SLES). What a brew!

Just "live with it for now" seems like a reasonable idea! Those Canadian Old Types are nice shavers.

Top Bottom