What's new

Uneven blade gap on Gillette Super Adjustable (and other questions)

Its hard to guess where it might be bent. If it gets dropped on the corner of a door, the end link under the end cap can be bent and even with the cap off it might not be obvious.

I'm not sure how the center bar or rod could get bent, but if it was dropped with the doors open I could see it happening. Again, no way I can think of to be sure unless it comes apart.

I wanted to just see the bottom of the razor. In that last picture on the left, the end cap angles in, but this could be the angle of how he took the picture. The right side looks nice and straight.

Don’t know if you’re seeing that also.

Its hard to guess where it might be bent. If it gets dropped on the corner of a door, the end link under the end cap can be bent and even with the cap off it might not be obvious.

I'm not sure how the center bar or rod could get bent, but if it was dropped with the doors open I could see it happening. Again, no way I can think of to be sure unless it comes apart.

Yea talking to another user he mentioned Cap doesn't even work on Super Adjustables anymore. There is a reason he never posted a reassembly video for them. Taking apart and putting these back together isn't doable.

I wanted to just see the bottom of the razor. In that last picture on the left, the end cap angles in, but this could be the angle of how he took the picture. The right side looks nice and straight.

Don’t know if you’re seeing that also.

Two more if it helps. Doors are locked. These two pictures aren't the same, flipped the razor over.

6.jpg 7.jpg

Yea talking to another user he mentioned Cap doesn't even work on Super Adjustables anymore. There is a reason he never posted a reassembly video for them. Taking apart and putting these back together isn't doable.

Like I had mentioned, it is a one time thing if you’re lucky. A lot of times that aluminum knob will be too loose after removal and will no longer stay put. Brass doesn’t have this issue for the most part.

I still think you’re fine. I wish you lived a tad closer so I could have cleared it before all those handle soaks. This is why I suggest plumbers tape to protect that black handle. With a Slim or fatboy, you could soak them for a week and all you have to protect are the numbers and ring if applicable.

The nickel will buff out nice, no issue there. The numbers will go back on nice as well. From the picture, not sure if the handle faded or if that is soap and chemical residue. The anodized handle is pretty tough but still like to protect it with tape with my razors.

If faded, you could call Delta Echo or North Shore to refinish the Handle. There are also products available such as a bakeless gun kote if you wanted to just do it yourself.

Don’t fret it. Just brass and aluminum, can always make it look pretty after clearing it and evening out your bar.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

de- and reassembly are perfetly doable only a bit more fiddly as the retainer plate sits deep in the handle.

Anyhow, could you please take photos showing the whole razor from the sides (end connector sides)?
The adjuster ring wasn't totally straight in your first post and it looks even more off in you last pictures.
As it's threaded it shouldn't tilt in any direction.

Adam

Hello,

de- and reassembly are perfetly doable only a bit more fiddly as the retainer plate sits deep in the handle.

Anyhow, could you please take photos showing the whole razor from the sides (end connector sides)?
The adjuster ring wasn't totally straight in your first post and it looks even more off in you last pictures.
As it's threaded it shouldn't tilt in any direction.

Adam

Sorry for the late reply but it does tilt. Sometimes it's like it jumps off the thread but it corrects itself upon getting to the next adjustment. Basically it's not a smooth rotation on the threads.

Anyway to conclude this thread. I have given up on this razor. Haven't shaved with it, so frustrated with it didn't care to. I accept defeat on this and realize vintage razors aren't my thing.

R

romsitsa

These are old, sometimes abused, anyone can get a dog. I got a few, also ruined useable ones during repairs.
If it really won't work, you can use it to get familiar with de- and reassembly of Gillette adjustables.
I never saw anything similar, but what you describe sounds like the threads inside the adjuster are partially eaten away. Can you move/tilt the ring from side to side?

Adam

I think you just tarnished it a bit with the soak. Don’t see brassing at all. Use a polish like Flitz or Maas to take that off. Don’t buff for long periods because it is plated, just enough to take that off and put a shine on it. I had a moment like that once sanitizing a Fatboy, same dark discoloration. You’ve probably soaked it enough already. Try the non bleach scrubbing bubbles in the adjustment I mentioned on my pm and Teflon plumber tape those numbers to protect them. The pictures of my 73 below per your request. I didn’t put tape on the knife because I’m not evening out my bar and was careful. Put tape on the tool if you do it. Slight nudges, no bending, no force, check, check, check. Just little nudges down on your tool when that baseplate stops going up, that’s it.
Thanks for the tips. Just scored a 73 SS adjustable on EBAY, and the gap looks just like the OP’s (One side is slightly higher). Otherwise, it’s a clean machine. Spruced right up with scrubbing bubbles.
I may try to adjust it, or just leave it as is, since it’s shaving fine.

Top Bottom