What's new

Uneven blade exposure

I've had bad luck with these metal Wilkinson Sword safety razors!!

On the first one I had poor blade alignment and so I got a free replacement and this one has... uneven blade exposure. The cutting edge of the blade protrudes more on one side than the other! So of course one side feels too mild and the other too aggressive!

Oh well. For now I've gone back to my trusty plastic WS razor and... maybe I'll buy a Rockwell 2C next and see how I like that.

I just wondered if you guys have had any experiences with uneven blade exposure too.

Thanks all!

Is that the new TTO Wilkinson? It is a Weishi 9306-P which is sold on aliexpress. Sometimes Chinese razors are a hit and miss. What would you expect. Mine is a Wilkinson and doesn't have uneven exposure. The other Weishi TTO models, the classic 9306 modifications that have existed for more than 15 years never have uneven exposure.

Yes I definitely have. I have a Gillette Aristocrat with a bent safety bar that exposes the blade more on one side, but it’s still a mild shave thank god.

My very first razor was a Korean inexpensive Superspeed copy with faulty TTO doors and the blade exposure was vicious - but I didn’t know this and bled with cuts as I first learned how to shave with a safety razor! When I finally realized it was faulty and found a Gillette Tech I was so amazed how smooth and mild the Tech was!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is that the new TTO Wilkinson? It is a Weishi 9306-P which is sold on aliexpress. Sometimes Chinese razors are a hit and miss. What would you expect. Mine is a Wilkinson and doesn't have uneven exposure. The other Weishi TTO models, the classic 9306 modifications that have existed for more than 15 years never have uneven exposure.

Ah wow I had no idea. Strange how the plastic one has no alignment issues. However it does eventually lose its grip when you tighten it and starts to come loose by itself >.<

Yes I definitely have. I have a Gillette Aristocrat with a bent safety bar that exposes the blade more on one side, but it’s still a mild shave thank god.

My very first razor was a Korean inexpensive Superspeed copy with faulty TTO doors and the blade exposure was vicious - but I didn’t know this and bled with cuts as I first learned how to shave with a safety razor! When I finally realized it was faulty and found a Gillette Tech I was so amazed how smooth and mild the Tech was!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh interesting. I'd like to get a new razor under £40 that aligns blades well and is fairly mild, or maybe medium.

The 2C seemed a good bet but yeah I've heard the Tech is good too :)

Ah wow I had no idea. Strange how the plastic one has no alignment issues. However it does eventually lose its grip when you tighten it and starts to come loose by itself >.
That plastic is actually Delrin. I don't consider the Delrin Wilkinson a double edge razor. It has been made by Treet for Wilkinson Sword for many years. Yes it uses a double edge blade. But if you look at the geometry of the top plate and the guard, they tried to mimic a cartridge razor. You have zero (or negative) blade exposure. I never could achieve BBS with it even after 4 passes with a very sharp blade (Feather, Iridium Super). Don't get me wrong, I like plastic razors very much, but if I compare it to the discontinued Dorco PL-510 [which is even lighter] it's day and night. The PL-510 actually beats half of my metal razors. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
That plastic is actually Delrin. I don't consider the Delrin Wilkinson a double edge razor. It has been made by Treet for Wilkinson Sword for many years. Yes it uses a double edge blade. But if you look at the geometry of the top plate and the guard, they tried to mimic a cartridge razor. You have zero (or negative) blade exposure. I never could achieve BBS with it even after 4 passes with a very sharp blade (Feather, Iridium Super). Don't get me wrong, I like plastic razors very much, but if I compare it to the discontinued Dorco PL-510 [which is even lighter] it's day and night. The PL-510 actually beats half of my metal razors. :biggrin1:

And who makes their blades? lol

Hmmmmmm what should I buy next then! I do definitely have my eye on the 2C but... does it align blades OK? It's cheaper than the 6C and... I dunno. I think the 1 and 3 plates it has will probably be adequate for me at least for now :)

Oh interesting. I'd like to get a new razor under £40 that aligns blades well and is fairly mild, or maybe medium.
Perhaps you should consider the King C Gillette razor available from many supermarkets or even an Edwin Jagger DE89. Both are similar design and are considered mild. I would also look at the Merkur 34C which is one of my favourites. If you are looking for a TTO the Weishi 9306 or the Parker 87R are worth looking at.

I have exactly the same with my Wilkinson TTO , the metal one. One side protrudes more. But there is an easy solution for mine: while screwing down the blade i just push the blade to the side with too little exposure pushing on the two overhanging parts of the blade. Works great for me.
A razor i own too which has really correct blade exposure is the King C Gillette.

Top Bottom