What's new

Underwhelmed by scuttle experience

Recently picked up a Crown King scuttle on sale and used it this morning as directed. One thing I noticed was that the lather that I worked up in the scuttle was a bit more dry and airier than usual which negatively impacted the quality of the lather.

Also, although I used very hot water, the lather was only lukewarm/warm and although the warm lather was pleasant, the experience didn't blow me away and I wouldn't even describe the lather as "hot." I'm not sure that the benefit of using the scuttle is worth the hassle of incorporating it into my shave routine as the experience was underwhelming. Am I doing something wrong?

Recently picked up a Crown King scuttle on sale and used it this morning as directed. One thing I noticed was that the lather that I worked up in the scuttle was a bit more dry and airier than usual which negatively impacted the quality of the lather.

Also, although I used very hot water, the lather was only lukewarm/warm and although the warm lather was pleasant, the experience didn't blow me away and I wouldn't even describe the lather as "hot." I'm not sure that the benefit of using the scuttle is worth the hassle of incorporating it into my shave routine as the experience was underwhelming. Am I doing something wrong?

No! No! You can’t say that! I have a Crown King Travel Scuttle on its way being delivered in a couple days. But seriously, I think I have heard that if you use water that is too hot it ruins the lather. Bakes it I guess.

I would suspect that you need to preheat the scuttle with hot water and allow it to warm up. Then empty the water that preheated it and add new hot water. That's only a guess on my part, but I would try it for myself before giving up.

I've seen that Scuttle off and on and they look like they should work well, in theory sorry to hear it didn't work very well for you. Interestingly, just a couple weeks ago a guy shipped me a razor in a Crown King skhuttle box. Said Crown King right on the side and I thought to myself this guy got himself a new Crown King scuttle. And I had wished I had one to use. I accidentally made some hot lather a couple weeks ago it was great. If you can't get your Scuttle to work send it my way and I'll see if I can get it to work........ :a27:

Am I doing something wrong?

I don't think that you're doing anything wrong, you're just finding that the actuality of using a scuttle does not meet expectations of a scuttle's "reward". At one time I was serious about buying a scuttle but before committing to actually buying one, I experimented by fashioning one of my own out of things I found in the kitchen. I'll admit that applying warm lather to my face initially felt nice but the feeling was so fleeting. The warmth lasted for mere seconds before turning just as cold as a lather made in a regular lathering bowl. My experience was like yours. In order for the lather to get warm I had to use very hot water which dried out the lather. In the end, I'm glad I experimented first because the hassle vs. the minor/fleeting reward just wasn't worth it for me.

Last edited:
Sorry!

Some here really like scuttles. However, my (limited) experience was closer to yours. This illustrates why you need to try things for yourself rather than relying exclusively on reviews. Just my $0.02!

although the warm lather was pleasant, the experience didn't blow me away and I wouldn't even describe the lather as "hot."
Warm is about the level you are aiming for. If you get the lather hot it will break down very quickly so some experimentation is needed as to how warm you can go. You will need more hydration in the lather when using the scuttle as it will dry out quicker.

I find that with a scuttle, the lather is not as warm as you’d like it to be, but it’s a lot warmer than what you’d get with no scuttle.

Also, here’s a little trick that works for me. After lathering up for your first pass, dip about 1/4” of your brush tips into the hot sink water before putting it back into the scuttle. By the time you’re ready for the second pass, the lather will be nice and warm. Both from the little boost you gave it, and from the improved thermal contact with the scuttle.

I have tried filling my scuttle up with hot water, inside and out, and then refilling before soaking my brush and making my lather. Although the lather stayed warmer, if it was too warm, the heat would impact the lather. Now I just fill it once, soak my brush, dump the bowl water, and go.

I use a Georgetown Pottery scuttle. I too was underwhelmed when using it with hot tap water, then I started to fill both the reservoir and the bowl with hot tap water and then microwave for 4-5 minutes. I let my brush soak in the bowl for a minute, empty it in the sink then lather. The lather is comfortably warm and enjoyable. Worth the effort for me.

Depending on the temp of the scuttle/water, yes you will need to use more water in the lather than you previously had. I have not shaved without using a scuttle now in easily 5 years. Mostly for me I want the later to at least be warm to the skin, it doesn't have to be "hot". Not everyone likes them, tho. Try yours out a few more times, use more water in the lather, etc.. Their trade/resale value doesn't decrease much if you do decide it's not your thing.

I have that Crown King Travel Scuttle and I love using it. I do as they instruct and fill with hot water in both to soak my brush and razor, then empty and refill with my hottest tap water. Once I tried microwaving for one minute but the scuttle was too hot to handle and I didn't want to bother with the glove. I had used a ceramic bowl and heated it in hot tap water while soaking brush and razor, but that bowl didn't have any ridges like the Crown King. I'm happy with it and certainly don't expect the same hot lather one would get from a barber shop. After lathering my soap up I add 3 drops of glycerin and work that in and the lather explodes.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

You don't say when the lather was too dry, but I'm going to assume it was after your first pass or so. If it was too dry from the get-go I would be too embarrassed to suggest using more water. :001_unsur

I had a very large scuttle back in the day and it could bake the lather from some of the cheaper creams. I never found it a problem to add a few drops of water between passes, but you might.

I use a Georgetown G12 now and never experience the need to add water after the initial build. I fill the scuttle with hot tap water and soak my brush while I shower. Then I empty the scuttle and re-fill with hot tap water. My tap water is pretty hot (around 135 degrees).

My 3rd pass lather is slightly warmer than my first pass lather. It's not hot lather - just pleasantly warm. I suspect the scuttle could cook any lather if you used high temperature water. If you really want hot lather you could do that and simply add a little water between passes.

I don't take my scuttle when I travel and that "cold" lather on the third pass is always a bit startling for the first couple of days. I love my scuttle.

I have a Dirty Bird scuttle and I love it especially in these cold Ohio mornings. I put hot water into it while I shower. Then I pour that out add fresh hot water and add my loaded brush. It keeps it nice and warm for 3 passes. In the summer I’ve started to do cold water shaves with it and it works quite nicely. Check out the dirty bird. It’s actually made by a Pottist????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been using a Dirty Bird scuttle as well. Recently I’ve made a significant improvement in my scuttle experience by making a simple change to my routine. In the past I would fill my scuttle with hot tap water, then jump into the shower. After stepping out of the shower I’d blow-dry my hair, and then refill the scuttle and make my lather. I changed this sequence by reversing the last two steps. That is, I make my lather right after stepping out of the shower, then blow-dry my hair. Now, when I apply the lather for the first pass, it is deliciously hot.

I was never drawn to a scuttle. If I want warm lather I face lather, dipping tips into nice warm water gives a few minutes of nice warm lather on the face.

I use a glove to take my Crown King scuttle out of the microwave after 2 mins. and carry it to the sink. Too hot to handle without the glove. I don't feel using a glove is too much of a bother? But, living in the North East cold means I have lots of winter gloves! I load my brush with soap or cream and set it in the scuttle with a couple of swirls. Put the blade of choice in my razor of choice. The scuttle is very warm. I would say hot vs warm. The result is a pleasingly warm lather and brush and putting the brush back into the scuttle allows it to be the same for subsequent passes. I have tried very many scuttles and I have not found on to compare in use. The Crown King scuttle is not beautiful. It is nicely utilitarian, very practical really. Yes it is plastic but it won't break if I drop it or it falls in the sink and the water is far hotter in it then I would dare with a ceramic scuttle. I still recall the warmth of the shaving lather the barber used to apply to my neck and sideburns when getting a haircut. I like the Crown King scuttle so much I bought a second one to take with me wherever I travel. The key to its use is microwaving the water to the level of hotness that you enjoy IMHO!

Hi,

Like BigJ said, some of us just aren't scuttlers. I have tried a scuttle too and don't really find that it adds anything to my shave. Kind of a hassle for me really. But I know many here really enjoy them for their shaves.

That said, I make it a point to try to learn what it takes to get the best out of a new piece of gear. I like to spend a couple of weeks using a new item before I decide I don't like it. So I recommend sticking with it for a while. Perhaps you will get it sorted out and decide you really like your scuttle. Or at worst, you learn that it's not for you.

Top Bottom