Undershirt or no?

Which undershirt do you prefer?

• A-Shirt

• T-Shirt

• V-Neck

• None

• Wife beater

Results are only viewable after voting.
V-neck. I hate it when a crew neck creeps up and pokes out the top of a dress shirt. I also don't like A-shirts -- I think they look too much like a "bro" or "manzier" under a thin dress shirt.

t-shirt for me, if only to keep the pit stains from ruining my dress shirt. i'm going to switch to v-neck soon enough because as master classter mentioned, an exposed crew neck under a dress shirt just isn't cutting it

I just see it all the time and I feel like wearing a crewneck with an open collared button up is "amateur", like a 'first day on the job' look. Experiment a little with brands and colors. I find places like the GAP, Banana Republic, Club Monaco, H&M, etc have simple basic v-necks for $10-15 (they go even lower on sale) and I buy a lot of the whites, with a few black, gray, blue beige, etc and layer a lot.

Seems like I used to see grey and or even light blue undershirts for sale and i always wondered what the idea was. In particular whether they were supposed to be better for, say, oxford blue or striped dress shirts.
What are your experiments and what to they tell you.
Interesting question, I would imagine that this works. Many people (StyleForum) have said that the solution to not having a bright white t-shirt show up under button ups, or even the best color underwear to wear with white linen pants (don’t ask how this came up) is GREY, or a beige/nude color, sort of just off white like an eggshell…

I would say I do not sweat much, but that is not true! I find that when I am really sweating though, it is the back neck that is wet and it is my collar that gets damp, not my pits, for some reason.
Try rubbing the back of your neck with a bit of toner like Thayers or rubbing alcohol during your after-shave routine, I’ve heard it will get rid of a lot of oil that tends to stain the shirt collars.

V-neck. I hate it when a crew neck creeps up and pokes out the top of a dress shirt. I also don't like A-shirts -- I think they look too much like a "bro" or "manzier" under a thin dress shirt.
+1, it really screams “unrefined”… As someone said, I also don’t think it’s as effective as a full undershirt. I guess you get chest hair coverage, but no armpit sweat absorption…?

<Interesting question, I would imagine that this works. Many people (StyleForum) have said that the solution to not having a bright white t-shirt show up under button ups, or even the best color underwear to wear with white linen pants (don’t ask how this came up) is GREY, or a beige/nude color, sort of just off white like an eggshell…>

interesting, I believe it, and nothing wrong with white linen, say when one is on the yacht in Nice!

< it really screams “unrefined”… As someone said, I also don’t think it’s as effective as a full undershirt. I guess you get chest hair coverage, but no armpit sweat absorption…? >

It might seem unrefined to some, but my mentor, who was pretty old school when it came to clothes, and very high-end and refined, wore nothing but A Shirts. I think it is a very classic look, although not everyone may recognize it as such. And again, for me, I do not get much arm pit sweat, but I do have a lot of chest hair. A full tee just seems restrictive to me around the arm holes. Not terrible, but between a suit coat, a regular shirt, and a T, it is a lot for me.

<that is a good tip and you are right that is where I get stains on my good shirts, never on the arm pits.

Well, I haven't done a whole lot of experimenting yet. But I think, for instance that grey goes with just about any shirt. And by the way, I stick with white for dress shirts; my play with different color combinations I save for casual dress.

Seems like I used to see grey and or even light blue undershirts for sale and i always wondered what the idea was. In particular whether they were supposed to be better for, say, oxford blue or striped dress shirts.

What are your experiments and what to they tell you.

I would say I do not sweat much, but that is not true! I find that when I am really sweating though, it is the back neck that is wet and it is my collar that gets damp, not my pits, for some reason.

I actually like the wife beater but it always shrinks lengthwise to where it won't stay tucked in. Someone needs to make these things really long, or unshrinkable.

V-neck thin undershirts, it really extends shirt's lifetime and avoid the wet sticky shirt effect on summer (I can't bear this).

Wifebeater :

An A formed white, tight, T-Shirt normally produced for men but also worn by women, intended for wear under shirts. Its reputation comes from those wearing the shirts while engaged in domestic violence.

His father was wearing a wifebeater under his favorie shirt.

Online Urban Dictionnary.

I had a doubt, now I'm sure. :lol::lol::lol:
My vocabulary is growing.

Last edited:
I don't have to wear a tie, so a V-neck undershirt everyday for me. Don't do the crew neck and no tie with a casual button shirt, please. The undershirt saves my clothes from sweat and deoderant stains, if any - I would rather buy very inexpensive undershirts than new dress shirts.

I get very confused with the term Wife Beater, as here in Britain, Wife Beater is the nickname of the Belgian Stella Artois lager because of its propensity for causing violence in the British male! (I drink proper Real Ale!)

The undershirt you call the YB we call a vest, as opposed to a tee shirt.

Gareth

V-neck pretty often. Keeps me warm and cuts down on drycleaning..

Rant -
ANNOUNCEMENT - for the love of god and all that is good and pure in this world, please stop wearing crew neck t-shirts under your button ups (with the collars open)... it's soooo faux pas
-end rant

Haha Agreed.

Hey guys, I have a proposed idea considering we are all classy gentlemen of B&B:

Let's try to break the convention of associating the A-shirt with domestic abuse by not using the term "wife beater." I know the term is common slang, but I personally fell that it's rather tasteless and I'm sure women would appreciate it. Besides, we gotta start somewhere and what better place than B&B?

Top Bottom