What's new

Underrated razors

I own a couple of Maggards and although great for the money the smoothness isn't there. I think their handles are very nice but I always found myself using the Muhle 89 before I got the mkll. I actually consider the mkll to be like an aristocrat on steroids.

I'll have to go back and try my Aristocrat back-to-back with the MK II.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
One of the most underrated razors, in my opinion, also just happens to be my favorite. Not a DE, but it is my favorite above all razors. The Weck Med Prep single edge open comb razor. Widest razor ever and so efficient!
Bro Vez: is this the same one I was trained on to shave necks back in the late 70's? If so, I will have to get it out of storage!

Bro Vez: is this the same one I was trained on to shave necks back in the late 70's? If so, I will have to get it out of storage!

I don't know, is it? Did you look at the link I posted? It's not the Weck Shavette I'm referring to (Which may be what you are talking about). Either way, if it's the SE or the Shavette, I'm a big fan. The Personna and Fromm blades for them are just fantastic.

One of my favorites is the Wizamet W-10 (all metal) adjustable. Like a Slim on Steroids. Throw in a Astra SP set at 7 and it sings!!

Cheers
John

The Monobilt gets all the attention but the Cooper Three Piece is a great shaver.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Does your's accept a standard blade? I have one that looks the same only gold. I had to modify a blade to try it. I found it to be way to mild for my taste. I didn't actually check it with a straight edge, but it almost has to have negative blade exposure. But then again there are some who rave about the Grand Shave King and it has negative blade exposure.

Does your's accept a standard blade? I have one that looks the same only gold. I had to modify a blade to try it. I found it to be way to mild for my taste. I didn't actually check it with a straight edge, but it almost has to have negative blade exposure. But then again there are some who rave about the Grand Shave King and it has negative blade exposure.
I don't find it too mild, no. And tightening the cap up usually punches out a standard blade without much fuss.

Schick C-1 repeater is an excellent razor. You may have to load blades manually though, so they can be a bit of a pain, but the shave is well worth it. I also find a Gem Push Button to be a nice shaver.

I don't find it too mild, no. And tightening the cap up usually punches out a standard blade without much fuss.

I'll have to get mine back out and try it again. I thought about just tightening it down, it's not off by much, but was worried the stainless blade would tear up the Zamak. Probably worrying to much. I could probably wear it down until the blade fit and it would still out last me.

I'll have to get mine back out and try it again. I thought about just tightening it down, it's not off by much, but was worried the stainless blade would tear up the Zamak. Probably worrying to much. I could probably wear it down until the blade fit and it would still out last me.
I'm a sport shaver not a collector. If I started thinking like that I'd have a bunch of unused razors collecting dust (except I'd sell em) Yeah I think the Cooper will survive. There is another gold Cooper with a mild head but I think that one takes standard blades. I can get to BBS on my head with the Cooper where my Krona and Tech struggle.

Last edited:
I'd say:
Saiver 2.0 (dual comb) - I prefer the OC side, as on mine the CC side doesn't supprt the blade all the way like the OC... which makes it a 6-way adjustable (2 single blade positions and one two bladed, plus different aggresiveness level on each side). I do with they'd make a full OC head, though.
Baili BD176/191 (same head) - inexpensive, the BD176 can be found with a nice travel case. A shave very similar to a round bottom Tech. Loosen the handle a little and its efficiency increases a fair bit while still being very gentle on the skin. Covered tabs can be a plus.
Dorco PL-602. Similarly to the Baili mentioned above, but has a wider range of adjustment.
Wilkinson Sword Claasic. I bought it as my second DE and binned it as too inefficient after the first use. After half a year, I bought it again, thinking maybe I could shim it or maybe loosen the handle a little to make it more efficient. Well, it turned out the secret was actually to tighten it really well, as then the blade straightens a little, exposing more edge.
Weishi 9306 - Weishi 9306FL was my first DE. Gave it away to a friend. Then got me a copper like 9306I, which seems a bit more aggressive and efficient, but it's still quite gentle, I find. Not just a beginner's razor, juust a good tool.
Option Five - looks like a toy in real life, but shaves really well. A bit overpriced for what it was, but a good razor nonetheless.
iKon 101 and 103. Both gentle, but very efficient.

Rimei/Gillette 7 o'clock hinge open plastic razors. They are as angle sensitive as Techs. I actually found the $0.99 Rimei to be pretty good for a quick shave. I find I get closer shaves with it than with OneBlade Core v1 in two passes. The black Gillette with a chromed ring on the handle is better made, but not quite as efficient. They can be further improved shimming or by gluing a PVC o-ring into the middle to better support the blade.
Virginia Shaving CC head. A clone of th Merkur head with a change that increases the blade gap a lot, but if you keep the blade snug against the top cap, it's mild butvery efficient. Beats the EJ and Lord L6 heads in my books.
Maggard cc v3a-like heads. I got one branded ZY. Inexpensive including a handle and pouch. Same perks as the Virgi ia Shaving CC head.
Pearl OC and Pearl TTO OC. Efficient, pretty mild.
Parker OC head. Really good head. Efficient, mild. Nicer than their CC or Variant, IMO.
Merkur-style Gillette Old clones.Maybe a bit too mild and not terribly efficient by default, much improved by a slightly loosened handle.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don't know, is it? Did you look at the link I posted? It's not the Weck Shavette I'm referring to (Which may be what you are talking about). Either way, if it's the SE or the Shavette, I'm a big fan. The Personna and Fromm blades for them are just fantastic.
Nope, it was the Shavette I used. Truly an awesome shaver, tho. Never saw one like yours! Will be scouring the interwebs now tho.

My nominee: the PAA DOC Evolution in stainless steel. It's one of the top 3-5 razors in my den, yet I don't see it mentioned much.

I'd say:
Saiver 2.0 (dual comb) - I prefer the OC side, as on mine the CC side doesn't supprt the blade all the way like the OC... which makes it a 6-way adjustable (2 single blade positions and one two bladed, plus different aggresiveness level on each side). I do with they'd make a full OC head, though.
Baili BD176/191 (same head) - inexpensive, the BD176 can be found with a nice travel case. A shave very similar to a round bottom Tech. Loosen the handle a little and its efficiency increases a fair bit while still being very gentle on the skin. Covered tabs can be a plus.
Dorco PL-602. Similarly to the Baili mentioned above, but has a wider range of adjustment.
Wilkinson Sword Claasic. I bought it as my second DE and binned it as too inefficient after the first use. After half a year, I bought it again, thinking maybe I could shim it or maybe loosen the handle a little to make it more efficient. Well, it turned out the secret was actually to tighten it really well, as then the blade straightens a little, exposing more edge.
Weishi 9306 - Weishi 9306FL was my first DE. Gave it away to a friend. Then got me a copper like 9306I, which seems a bit more aggressive and efficient, but it's still quite gentle, I find. Not just a beginner's razor, juust a good tool.
Option Five - looks like a toy in real life, but shaves really well. A bit overpriced for what it was, but a good razor nonetheless.
iKon 101 and 103. Both gentle, but very efficient.

Rimei/Gillette 7 o'clock hinge open plastic razors. They are as angle sensitive as Techs. I actually found the $0.99 Rimei to be pretty good for a quick shave. I find I get closer shaves with it than with OneBlade Core v1 in two passes. The black Gillette with a chromed ring on the handle is better made, but not quite as efficient. They can be further improved shimming or by gluing a PVC o-ring into the middle to better support the blade.
Virginia Shaving CC head. A clone of th Merkur head with a change that increases the blade gap a lot, but if you keep the blade snug against the top cap, it's mild butvery efficient. Beats the EJ and Lord L6 heads in my books.
Maggard cc v3a-like heads. I got one branded ZY. Inexpensive including a handle and pouch. Same perks as the Virgi ia Shaving CC head.
Pearl OC and Pearl TTO OC. Efficient, pretty mild.
Parker OC head. Really good head. Efficient, mild. Nicer than their CC or Variant, IMO.
Merkur-style Gillette Old clones.Maybe a bit too mild and not terribly efficient by default, much improved by a slightly loosened handle.
V3A clone head on Boss Razor (formerly SABI T2) handle is a wicked good $20 combination.

proxy.php

I think the Schick Krona is pretty underrated. Everyone who has used one appreciates the shave it delivers, but for most, the plastic handle deceives them into believing it's just another cheaply constructed razor not worth their time. I fell into that category until I tried it. Now, even with it being part of my collection, I still don't use it that often, even though I know it's a durn good razor.

Schick O ring clone with the Schick twin blades. Efficient irritation free shaves and the only razor aside from my OB Genesis V2 that I can go N-S-E-W across my Adam's apple and not get a nick or weeper with. Especially when I'm in a hurry. BBS in 2-2 1/2 passes.
Love it!

I nominate the little "Yuma" that was in the passaround box. Terribly impressed despite the limited reviews on them. It's a shame they're no longer available.

Top Bottom