What's new

Underrated and Hidden Gem Soaps

I thought I'd give CG a try since she has a 30% off sale. I picked up Bonaire since I have had a bottle of Creed VIW that I hardly ever wear, even though I love the scent. I also picked up Animal Crackers because who doesn't love Animal Crackers.
Chicago grooming now - that's good to know! Thank you!

I would love to pick up some more Bonaire. I've been there several times so it has a special place in my rotation!

Another vote for Dr. Jon's. Superb non-tallow soap.

I would also add Blue Devil Soap Company to the list. Kind of expensive because it is made in Tasmania, but awesome stuff.

Another vote for Dr. Jon's. Superb non-tallow soap.

I would also add Blue Devil Soap Company to the list. Kind of expensive because it is made in Tasmania, but awesome stuff.
Whenever Dr. Jon's comes up it always gets praise but I never see a hype train for it. Definitely fits the bill of underrated, absolutely agree.

I feel that it frequently gets overshadowed by Cella, but Razorock P.160 is an excellent soap and has an excellent almond marzipan scent in its own right. By that same token I would say that RR Classic and TFS Red are themselves overshadowed by RR P.160 and Cella. RR Classic does have a better base that sets it apart from TFS Red, but as a classic Italian soft soap with the (to my mind) classic almond scent, TFS Red is nonetheless very well executed in its own right.

I would also say that LEA is criminally underrated among soaps and shave sticks. La Toja and Arko get their well deserved praise, but I don't see as much talk about LEA despite how good it is. It's also quite cheap at that if you get it from Gifts & Care or if you happen to be shopping in Spain.

Last edited:
Some that aren't the usual suspects in my shave den, but have been getting some love recently:
  • Chicago Grooming Co (fka Oleo Soap Works)('firmer' soft soap but that Canard base is superlative) // they're currently clearing stock at 30% off to make way for the new soapbase - Darkwing
  • Crowne and Crane (Wish they made alcohol splashes - great tallow and vegan formulas)
  • Shannon's Soaps (Have 3 in their standard base and they perform REALLY well)
  • Pinnacle Grooming (UK Based - odd smelling base but great lathers)
  • Summer Break Soaps (Teacher's pet is the most realistic apple I've ever used, and gave great lathers)
Pinnacle Grooming has really been a fantastic find for me. I started with Japanese Plum which is superb both in fragrance and performance. So good that I ignore the tingling sensation to my lips - ha ha

Supplemented with Hiro - a very nice pickup of Paco Rabanne’s Invictus before finishing up with Grenade - aka V/R Spicebomb

I feel that it frequently gets overshadowed by Cella, but Razorock P.160 is an excellent soap and has an excellent almond marzipan scent in its own right. By that same token I would say that RR Classic and TFS Red are themselves overshadowed by RR P.160 and Cella. RR Classic does have a better base that sets it apart from TFS Red, but as a classic Italian soft soap with the (to my mind) classic almond scent, TFS Red is nonetheless very well executed in its own right.

I would also say that LEA is criminally underrated among soaps and shave sticks. La Toja and Arko get their well deserved praise, but I don't see as much talk about LEA despite how good it is. It's also quite cheap at that if you get it from Gifts & Care or if you happen to be shopping in Spain.

+3 for Lea

Their classic line puck is just magnificent!!
One of my favorite soaps ever!

Also, saponificio bignoli is very underrated.
These soft Italian cream soaps smell beautiful and perform great.

I have Mediterranean citrus and blackberry/musk.

The citrus is zingy and refreshing.
The blackberry is awesome! I adore this scent!

I would agree, also. I use the Lea shave stick quite often. It's up for my shave this afternoon. That will be the 2nd use this week. The performance is very good and I really enjoy the scent

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Col Conk is definitely underrated. I’ve been using their discontinued Unscented soap from their Naturals line (the Unscented cream is still available) since February 14th and it just keeps getting better.

If the basic melt-and-pour shave soap bases are similar in performance, the price tag on one of my misguided obsessions has dipped lower than when I got all those ARKO! sticks on Black Friday 2020

Reactions: jmd

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My ‘off the radar’ picks are

Baume BE (cream)
Fitjar Islands (cream)
Klar Seifen
Musgo Real (cream)
Tomo and APBinNCA both recommended Baume.be Cream to me. APB suggested I add the pre-shave as well....

I have to tell you.... I haven't tried the pre-shave on its own... I was too excited to wait so I used the two together yesterday. It was easily the best shave of my life.. and I'm not exaggerating. I have a great shave on Sunday... but Tuesday's shave was significantly better.

I had asked for suggestions of soaps/creams that had a subtle scent. The Baume.be delivered in spades. It isn't scentless... just a hint of something. My sense of smell is limited so I can't tell you the "notes" and all that. I just know... it was pleasant and mostly missing: absolutely perfect for me.

Not that it matters, but the jars are nicer than the packaging from any of the other soaps/creams I have. Very solid. I'll repurpose them after they are gone.

Tomo and APBinNCA both recommended Baume.be Cream to me. APB suggested I add the pre-shave as well....

I have to tell you.... I haven't tried the pre-shave on its own... I was too excited to wait so I used the two together yesterday. It was easily the best shave of my life.. and I'm not exaggerating. I have a great shave on Sunday... but Tuesday's shave was significantly better.

I had asked for suggestions of soaps/creams that had a subtle scent. The Baume.be delivered in spades. It isn't scentless... just a hint of something. My sense of smell is limited so I can't tell you the "notes" and all that. I just know... it was pleasant and mostly missing: absolutely perfect for me.

Not that it matters, but the jars are nicer than the packaging from any of the other soaps/creams I have. Very solid. I'll repurpose them after they are gone.
I’m telling you , try the Baume. Be aftershave balm too. Great product IMHO

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m telling you , try the Baume. Be aftershave balm too. Great product IMHO
I'll take a look... I recently switched to Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel-cream extra dry skin... it's been wonderful.

Arran Sense of Scotland. They now use the same base as the new Truefitt and Hill Apsley and new Floris pucks and they come in a unique solid resin stone dish.

Screenshot_20220413-203625_Chrome.jpg

Pedro Fiasco Pomegranate & Wood is my first soap by Ariana & Evans. Easy to lather, good residual slickness, good cushion, creamy stable lather, nice sheen, medium scent strength & smells great. Good post shave feel. Very good performer. Excellent value. It's a winner!

IAMCDB shaves with Pedro Fiasco Pomegranate & Wood

Taylor of Old Bond Street makes some stellar hard puck shaving soaps, probably the best non-tallow, triple-milled soaps you can find with a tallow-like performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: nav
After my shave today I'll also throw in Meißner Tremonia. It's hard soaps don't get nearly enough love in my opinion, their post shave feel in particular is hard to beat. The soaps are all handmade in traditional copper kettles and left to harden naturally by evaporation as opposed to being milled; they only use essential oils for scents and they jar in lilac glass jars which filters out ultraviolet light and helps preserve the soap.

Top Bottom