What's new

Underrated and Hidden Gem Soaps

Been getting some great shaves with Moon lately. Their balms have surprised me, pleasantly, even considering I'm more of a splash person.

I can see from this topic that I'm not *quite* done exploring the soap landscape though. :facep:
It feels like there's new soaps coming out all the time. There's always new scents, new bases, new artisans, etc. We'll never be done really and that's part of the fun. The artisans truly spoil us.

Personally, I am having trouble finding both the cream and the splash in the scent I want from the same retailer. I feel like they ordered once about a year ago and aren't restocking. I can't order alcohol based stuff from Gifts and Care or I would.
I noticed that as well. It seems like a lot of places that carry both seem to be out of stock of one or the other. I wonder why bulk shipments for vendors of alcohol based aftershaves are allowed but not individual purchases?

I noticed that as well. It seems like a lot of places that carry both seem to be out of stock of one or the other. I wonder why bulk shipments for vendors of alcohol based aftershaves are allowed but not individual purchases?
I believe it is air freight versus sea can. Most small purchases don't spend 2 weeks on a boat.

I recently received two pucks of the Cyril R. Salter tallow based soap and I can confidently put this in the underrated category as well. I like the scent, it's a nice light lavender, and the lather quality is top notch for me. I will definitely be repurchasing when I kill these two pucks.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wickhams 1912 (I have tried several)

Phoenix and Beau (again, I have tried several)

The Goodfellas Smile mug soaps (only tried Italian Lemon, but Blueberry Grape and Briarwood are waiting in the queue)

St James of London cream (Black Pepper and Lime is my fave)

Erasmic cream (excellent cream, and ridiculously cheap)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
A few come to mind...

Mike's Natural Soaps
Stirling Mutton Tallow soaps
Moon Soaps
Wet the Face Tallow soaps
Castle Forbes shave cream
PAA soaps

Razor Emporium soaps. Excellent scents, value, and very, very slick for both DE and SR shaves.
D2FD8E83-15E2-421B-8EF4-B315170196F3.jpeg

MacDuffs is a Canadian artisan. Their v4 is the best base I've ever used, hands down. Even blows DG out of the water. Try them, you won't be sorry!
That is very true, one of the easiest soaps to lather, the artisan behind this line is Sean Beard, one of the most down to earth and friendly people in the wet shaving community. I always wonder why there's not much discussion about MacDuff's soaps here and the other forum.

Some that aren't the usual suspects in my shave den, but have been getting some love recently:
  • Chicago Grooming Co (fka Oleo Soap Works)('firmer' soft soap but that Canard base is superlative) // they're currently clearing stock at 30% off to make way for the new soapbase - Darkwing
  • Crowne and Crane (Wish they made alcohol splashes - great tallow and vegan formulas)
  • Shannon's Soaps (Have 3 in their standard base and they perform REALLY well)
  • Pinnacle Grooming (UK Based - odd smelling base but great lathers)
  • Summer Break Soaps (Teacher's pet is the most realistic apple I've ever used, and gave great lathers)

Top Bottom