What's new

Underclocked Slim

Hi,

I bought a Slim on ebay and I think it is underclocked, is there a way to check if it is underclocked by the picture ?

Slim set to 1
proxy.php

Hi,
I bought a Slim on ebay and I think it is underclocked, is there a way to check if it is underclocked by the picture ?

No.
Take the blade out. With the razor closed and locked take a look at the gap (where the blade edge protrudes) between the doors and the bar guard. It should be narrowest (smallest gap) on 1 and widest on 9. If the gap is narrowest on another number, then your razor is overclocked/underclocked.

Welcome to B&B.

Underclocked? That would depend on the processor. :laugh:

It would appear that you have no blade gap when set at 1, if that picture is any indication.

Graybeard, it was my understanding that gap was measured with a blade in place. Perhaps I am mistaken.

I will confirm this when I get home tonight, but I would think the end of the blade would be up against the doors and the blade would not be laying on your safety bars if the lift were timed properly even set on 1.

If you remove the blade and start increasing the number on the adjustment dial, when do the 4 lift posts come up through the bottom plate of the head?

Do a search for overclocking and try increasing the razor to the next range.....

Good luck.

It would appear that you have no blade gap when set at 1, if that picture is any indication.

That is exactly the point!
Sorry If I wasnt clear enough.

BTW, thanks for the info Graybeard.

If I "overclock" it, in the next 1-9 set It wont reach the number 9, It goes only to 8.

Slim set to 9

proxy.php

That is exactly the point!
Sorry If I wasnt clear enough.

BTW, thanks for the info Graybeard.

If I "overclock" it, in the next 1-9 set It wont reach the number 9, It goes only to 8.

Slim set to 9

proxy.php

Must be something gumming up the threads. It shouldn't run out of threads unless it's overclocked and dialed up to 5-7

Actually it almost reach 9 (8.80), but it wont lock on 9. The metal plate under the safaty bar (that ajudjustable one, which I can move with my fingers), reach its maximum excursion on that overclocked situation.

My prior concern is: is it underclocked, looking on the first picture (slim on 1) ?

Should the blades touch the safaty bar on that situation ?

My other razor is from a dollar store, it shaves like my slim on 16 or so.

I think my slim opens a little wider than that, but not a whole lot. Can one partially overclock a razor? It looks like your range is just shifted a bit.

I would say give it a good boil and then lubricate the razor with mineral/baby oil and take it from there.

After looking at my slim at home....on 1, mine is somewhere between your 1 and 9 position photos. If you have not already done so, follow Jim's suggestion of a warm soapy bath for starters. Good luck....

I think my slim opens a little wider than that, but not a whole lot. Can one partially overclock a razor? It looks like your range is just shifted a bit.

That's a possibility. The handle could be in a different position now relative to the head. In fact, if the razor has ever been taken apart, it is much easier to get the handle back on wrong than right.

edit: That sort of misalignment should create another problem as well. It should cause your doors to open funny, like not all the way, or way too far open.

Last edited:
That's a possibility. The handle could be in a different position now relative to the head. In fact, if the razor has ever been taken apart, it is much easier to get the handle back on wrong than right.

edit: That sort of misalignment should create another problem as well. It should cause your doors to open funny, like not all the way, or way too far open.

Looks like this is the problem! "half" underclocked, or the ajudstment notch is in the wrong side.
The doors open and close beatifully.

Ill search how to disassemble it and try to solve the probkem.

US$ 40 bucks for that slim... So much headache.

That was what I did. It was easy.
But now I cant remove the the head.

I tried that http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html but when I turn to 9 then 1 until I cant do it anymore, there is no gap to see, if I turn to 1 then to 9 until I cant do it anymore I can see the gap mentioned on those instructions but I still cant remove the head. Are those instructions wrong ?

It seens pretty clean inside, looks like the seller took it apart and cleaned but when he assembled it the adjustment dial went from 6 to 1 (handle or the ring in the wrong place).

Last edited:
Well looks like I misinterpreted the instructions, finaly I disassembled it. :D

Now I need a little help to assemble it, is there a way avoid mistakes that may left it uncalibrated ?

Top Bottom