What's new

Under the radar brushes

1. Shavemac Fnest. A mixture of silvertip and pure badger makes for a fine knot that is both soft and with more backbone than 100% silvertip.

2. Stirling's Fan shaped Finest. Not the high density 2-band finest knot, this brush is almost a true flat top. Soft tips, plenty of backbone in either a classic M7 handle or a Stirling Eagle clone.

3. Yaqi 2-band. Good Yeoman 2-band brushes, does what a brush should do.

Those sold out quick! Did you get the sapphire?

Yup! I'd originally wanted the emerald, but it sold out while I was still hemming and hawing about whether I needed another brush. Looked up proper pictures of Simpson brushes in sapphire (since for some reason Simpson's posts terrible pictures) and found that it was also gorgeous, so I ordered that. I've already got the Jubilee in the wood pattern, and the ruby for some reason just didn't speak to me like the others did.

Also, gee whiz, I didn't realize how steep shipping from the UK is these days. Really changes things when ~$30 is the cheaper option for shipping.

Maggard 2-band badgers
Stirling Finest
West Coast Shaving Silvertip
Vulfix 374/375/376 badgers
Simpson Trafalgar Series Synthetic

I forgot about Maggard's 2-bands. Shame on me, they are great knots. (I'm talking about the non-dense knots).

I used one this morning, a 24 mm fan mounted in a ds cosmetics handle.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Billy Goat Brushworks make a fine brush. Currently I have two G6 Badger brushes with Resin and Malle root handle. I am awaiting a boar brush to be made. I couldn’t speak more highly of these brushes. I have used some big name brushes in the past and I have a number of Yaqi brushes which I find serviceable but Billy Goat Brushworks has blown me away.

086B1642-9B04-482E-A170-7DA36EA34D30.jpeg

C4163B40-76A5-4E38-A1DB-D9F537F622FE.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I think Larry at Whipped Dog does a wonderful job and offers a great brush for the money, but just a great brush period. I think the value only increases with the amount of help/guidance/cust serv he is willing to provide someone who has questions etc.
Back before the Chinese flooded the market with cheap badgers Whipped Dog got a lot of well deserved attention as a quality alternative to the big name badger vendors. You don't see him mentioned as much since Yaqui and Oumo came around.

Back before the Chinese flooded the market with cheap badgers Whipped Dog got a lot of well deserved attention as a quality alternative to the big name badger vendors. You don't see him mentioned as much since Yaqui and Oumo came around.
Ironically WD's knots, and probably handles, are all Chinese made.

I think Larry at Whipped Dog does a wonderful job and offers a great brush for the money, but just a great brush period. I think the value only increases with the amount of help/guidance/cust serv he is willing to provide someone who has questions etc.
Agreed... especially considering he'll customize your knot depth for you, too. He's a great guy to work with in general and his brushes are quality products

Top Bottom