What's new

Under the radar brushes

Every brush in Semogue SOC series is a definite contender for consideration.

Zenith Boar and Manchurian Badger brushes are GORGEOUS!
I've seen some brushes with fellow (Indian) wet shavers, and the quality for the price point is excellent.

Zenith brushes definitely deserve more air time.

Ps: I've seen the Zenith brushes available from yourshaving(dot) com

I have Omega boars, but I prefer my SOC, and by the looks of it, Zenith will be my next purchase.

Any time brush recommendation threads pop up we always see the big favorites thrown around...

Dukes and Chubbies from Simpson
STF from Muhle
Yaqi Tuxedos
Omega and Semogue boars

Any decent performing brushes out there, flying under the radar, that get less air time than they should? I'd love to hear 'em

It is all subjective, but, to me:

- Vulfix Grosvenor 404 mixed badger/boar is better than Simpson's best (i know, heresy!)
- Yaqi Timberwolf and Plissoft is better than tuxedo.
- Yaqi silvertip is my favourite badger.

Oumo...

Like Yaqi, they have a lot on Aliexpress (knots, handles, complete brushes). They're probably the supplier of a lot of the SHD badger knots out there. I know Wild West Brushworks uses Oumo badger knots. I believe they are also the producer of the Motherload synthetic.

Other seliers have been using Yaqi made knots and brushes produced for them. I'm pretty sure my Stirling tuxedo and AP Shave Co SynBad are Yaqi knots.

DS Cosmetic on Aliexpress is worth a look too.

+2 Oumo.. they are fantastic brushes.

I'll throw a vote in here for my AP Shave Co. red and ivory handled, 26mm Cashmere knot brush.

It is, without doubt, the softest brush I've ever used. Beautifully gentle on the face, and it splays easily too. The knot is very dense, so backbone is plenty good enough even for the hardest of soaps.

If you like a brush with a bit of scrub, or like a brush with a lot of backbone, this might be one to avoid. But, it's fast become one of my favourites. Particularly when you take the price into account, it blows the competition out of the water for me.

Attachments

• PSX_20210330_130042.jpg
    PSX_20210330_130042.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
I'll throw a vote in here for my AP Shave Co. red and ivory handled, 26mm Cashmere knot brush.

It is, without doubt, the softest brush I've ever used. Beautifully gentle on the face, and it splays easily too. The knot is very dense, so backbone is plenty good enough even for the hardest of soaps.

If you like a brush with a bit of scrub, or like a brush with a lot of backbone, this might be one to avoid. But, it's fast become one of my favourites. Particularly when you take the price into account, it blows the competition out of the water for me.
I've wanted an AP Cashmere for a while.
If only he offered 22mm variants like he does for SynBad.

Love my brushguy handles
Usual with synthetics inside
Zenith Does not make a brass 507 else...
But custom combo might give you best personal product

Personally I like to buy sales, Razorock Plissoft and Yaqi synthetics are good brushes and can be had for reasonable prices. I'm going to try my 1st new natural hair 2 band badger hair and a 2nd boar brush recently purchased(Yaqi sale). Breaking in a boar brush can be just a different experience. I did every thing wrong to break in a boar brush properly because of animal funk smell(Greenhorn learning). A good boar broke in is a nice change of lathering every once in a while from the supreme synthetic brushes that are out there. Semogue makes nice boar brushes IMO. Omega makes well built boar brushes also after torturing that brush knot from boiling to microwaving to using MrClean harsh cleaning detergent and is nicely broke in now but done wrong.
Have some great shaves!
+1 on the RazoRock synthetic. I think they are a great value. Mine lathers any soap easily.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I think the SOC badger fits this category. Fairly cheap for a quality badger ($65ish) and excellent for face lathering. I love the handle.

Top Bottom