What's new

Under the radar brushes

Any time brush recommendation threads pop up we always see the big favorites thrown around...

Dukes and Chubbies from Simpson
STF from Muhle
Yaqi Tuxedos
Omega and Semogue boars

Any decent performing brushes out there, flying under the radar, that get less air time than they should? I'd love to hear 'em

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Personally I like to buy sales, Razorock Plissoft and Yaqi synthetics are good brushes and can be had for reasonable prices. I'm going to try my 1st new natural hair 2 band badger hair and a 2nd boar brush recently purchased(Yaqi sale). Breaking in a boar brush can be just a different experience. I did every thing wrong to break in a boar brush properly because of animal funk smell(Greenhorn learning). A good boar broke in is a nice change of lathering every once in a while from the supreme synthetic brushes that are out there. Semogue makes nice boar brushes IMO. Omega makes well built boar brushes also after torturing that brush knot from boiling to microwaving to using MrClean harsh cleaning detergent and is nicely broke in now but done wrong.
Have some great shaves!

I'm not sure it's quite what you mean, but I feel like a lot of Simpson's models fly under the radar a bit, for all the attention the Chubby and Duke lines get (and to a lesser degree, the Colonel and Commodore lines). Especially the Simpson lines that're better suited for bowl lathering, like the Polo, Harvard, and Persian Jar...they just don't get that much attention compared to the dense, backbony face latherers.

This may not be what the OP wanted. In my mind, there are (1) full brushes for sale, (2) handles for sale, and (3) knots for sale. When it comes to a shave on the face, I think of the knot as being the most important.

Accordingly, I think Turn N Shave knots are under the radar. Their Quartermoon knot is hands down my favorite synthetic—sorry not sorry Muhle and Edwin Jagger. I also really enjoy Viking's Odin knot (similar to Maggard's SHD).

It's not what everyone wants, but I do love the current ability to get a custom handle and a separate knot. You really get something special. At least that's what I tell my PayPal account :)

Oumo...

Like Yaqi, they have a lot on Aliexpress (knots, handles, complete brushes). They're probably the supplier of a lot of the SHD badger knots out there. I know Wild West Brushworks uses Oumo badger knots. I believe they are also the producer of the Motherload synthetic.

Other seliers have been using Yaqi made knots and brushes produced for them. I'm pretty sure my Stirling tuxedo and AP Shave Co SynBad are Yaqi knots.

DS Cosmetic on Aliexpress is worth a look too.

Omega boar brushes are rightly lauded but their badger brushes do not get much love here or on the yootoobs.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Timberwolf synthetics and Yaqi Silvertip badger.

Both are very affordable and punch above its price point for me.
PAA Peregrino and Starcraft brushes. Really nice synthetic brushes with a hybrid fan/bulb knot. $20 each.
This may not be what the OP wanted. In my mind, there are (1) full brushes for sale, (2) handles for sale, and (3) knots for sale. When it comes to a shave on the face, I think of the knot as being the most important.

Accordingly, I think Turn N Shave knots are under the radar. Their Quartermoon knot is hands down my favorite synthetic—sorry not sorry Muhle and Edwin Jagger. I also really enjoy Viking's Odin knot (similar to Maggard's SHD).

It's not what everyone wants, but I do love the current ability to get a custom handle and a separate knot. You really get something special. At least that's what I tell my PayPal account :)

+1 to all of the above. :thumbup:

Plus, the TurnNShave Chess brush:
20200313_065724~3.jpg

Best $10 brush out there - in my opinion. :cool:

Top Bottom