What's new

Unconventional SV Storage

I’ve been keeping my SV Mirto di Sardegna in a ziplock bag between uses, then stumbled upon this discovery today:

9BF5844A-A144-4C4A-BF4B-E2A9FCC112BB.jpeg

That’s the storage container my electrical tape came in. It’s a perfect fit!

Just curious, I'm breaking my cherry with my first SV soap in a few days, but it'll be a refill. What are the dimensions of a refill puck? I'll be on the lookout for a proper dish

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Sv refill puck fits perfectly in the timeless razor shave bowl. It’s certainly not the economical choice but it’s a very small bowl and i repurposed it that way.

Just curious, I'm breaking my cherry with my first SV soap in a few days, but it'll be a refill. What are the dimensions of a refill puck? I'll be on the lookout for a proper dish
If needed, just grate the SV puck with a cheese grater and then smash it tightly into the container. The soap will still perform like the solid puck. As someone mentioned, Maggard's has empty tubs as does Stirling or just take one of your old soaps, peel off the label and you're good to go.

I see that some of the SV soaps come in tins. Is there some kind of supply chain issue with them at the moment? It seems most of the scents are sold sans tin. Is it that big of a deal for them to mold their soaps in a dedicated tub and sell refills the like rest of the normal soaps?

I see that some of the SV soaps come in tins. Is there some kind of supply chain issue with them at the moment? It seems most of the scents are sold sans tin. Is it that big of a deal for them to mold their soaps in a dedicated tub and sell refills the like rest of the normal soaps?

They're handsome tins, but I imagine not incredibly expensive. However, if you only sell refills and 'special editions' come in special containers, you allow people to feel exclusive and have them pay that big extra for what was, at most, a couple dollar expenditure on your end :biggrin1:

I can't say a thing, I was shopping SV scent choices and the fact that it may have come in a fancy tin wouldn't have stopped me from buying it

They're handsome tins, but I imagine not incredibly expensive. However, if you only sell refills and 'special editions' come in special containers, you allow people to feel exclusive and have them pay that big extra for what was, at most, a couple dollar expenditure on your end :biggrin1:

I can't say a thing, I was shopping SV scent choices and the fact that it may have come in a fancy tin wouldn't have stopped me from buying it

It wouldn't stop me either, but it's still a minor inconvenience especially since the "refill" isn't cheap you have to figure out a container to store it in- which for most people might be the spare wonton soup pint they have laying around. Even if the SV tin isn't the best quality why not just sell them out of a tin. I see there is a $70 wood bowl you can purchase that fits the soap perfectly, so that pretty much explains it.

My SV 70th and Cubebe came in tins, but the Mirto did not. While the tins do look nice I don't find them to be very sturdy (easily dented, very flexible), and I really just think of them as storage. I always remove the pucks and hold them in my hand while lathering, then rinse, dry, and put them back in the tins. The tape holder is a big win for me, and I'd be happy if SV shipped every one of their soaps in one.

I'm using an old TOBS shaving cream container for my SV Dolomiti. I did have to shave off the edges of the soap a bit to squeeze it into the container, but it made for a nice snug fit.

I just ordered a puck of SV Cosmo, so I'll have to see how I like the tin that it comes in or if I'd prefer to move it to a different container.

Pricey but bulletproof - it will never wear out, never break and never need replacement, and will outlast your grandchildren's grandchildren. It might even outlast the puck. :001_smile Also a perfect fit....

proxy.php

Every now and then I find myself with extra money and I think about buying one, but they’re always out of stock when I check.

Pricey but bulletproof - it will never wear out, never break and never need replacement, and will outlast your grandchildren's grandchildren. It might even outlast the puck. :001_smile Also a perfect fit....

proxy.php
These look exactly like the container that the old Czech & Speake 88 pucks used to come in. A solid anodized aluminium container with a nice weight and a precision machined seal. It has a soft close effect as the cap taps a cushion of air that is slowly forced out. They also fit a puck of Tabac nicely.

5D018AD6-DCF2-4D71-97F0-6B3D6BEC7D75.jpeg

I have used the Bullgoose container but found it too bulky. The Maggards jars below, made and supplied by Colt’s Plastics, are nice but a bit wide.

I have gone back to the IKEA Grundtal containers. Perfect tight fit for the SV pucks. After all these years the Grundtal jars might be my favorite again. Love them.

SV 4.3 is an amazing soap. A lot of great artisan home soap cookers making wonderful products today but this professionally made triple milled product out of northern Italy is a standout.

4783B056-7E57-4B77-B358-7BFABB9C5745.jpeg
14E0CCC7-CADD-48B3-BA1D-EBB21D806F6E.jpeg

Top Bottom