What's new

unconventional stropping techniques

you herd of the palm strop. what about a forearm strop. there is more of a surface. or the side of your hand

hand.jpg

what about heating the blade with a blow dryer, (almost too hot to touch) before stropping on a strop.

I would be worried about accidentally cutting a vein or artery. In France, at a 3C get-together, I saw a guy using the top of his thigh while seated to strop razors on his jeans. That seems better to me for increasing the palm-stropping area.

I use my forearm to clean blades before viewing under the microscope along with palm stropping.
I don't see any point in heating with a hair dryer prior to stropping.

i herd people strop on cloth or linen, to warm up the blade before they strop on leather. so i was thinking what if you really heat it up with a blow dryer and then strop on leather

also how many X zoom is your microscope

Your talking apples and oranges here, when your heating the blade with a hair dryer your actually heating the entire blade...can it be heated enough to change its properties, who knows but it could happen if heated too much. As far as stropping heat, its concentrated at the apex of the cutting edge and the spine. Its truly ment to align the edge and give a slight polishing effect via friction. In conclusion, hair dryer heating a blade, not recommended and there are no advantages.

I look at most of my razors with a 10x triplet loupe.

Larry

i herd people strop on cloth or linen, to warm up the blade before they strop on leather. so i was thinking what if you really heat it up with a blow dryer and then strop on leather

also how many X zoom is your microscope

There is no need to super heat a blade.
Stropping on leather heats the blade more than linen anyway so "warming" the blade is not something that I would use the linen for anyway.
IMO the linen is slightly more abrasive and it helps to refresh the edge better than leather alone.
I use 100x to inspect edges on a quality scope.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It is pointless at this point in your shave journey to try stuff that is not common practice. EVERYTHING HAS BEEN TRIED. If something actuall works, everyone is doing it. Follow the road well traveled. Branch off the beaten path after you have a few years experience.

No, don't bother with the hair dryer. Just strop.

Top Bottom