What's new

Unboxed My New Set Of Nannies Today

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
$2015-08-08 10.55.06.jpg$20150808_102800.jpg

Just picked these up at my mailbox yesterday. I never honed on a full Naniwa progression before and I am looking forward to doing a few blades Monday. No, I'm not leaving the Dark Side... I just have a big honing project coming up and the Nannies will be quicker.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice set. What are you planning to use to get the heels straightened out?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Nice set. What are you planning to use to get the heels straightened out?

Heels of what? Oh, THEM. Lol my Gold Dollars get a workout on my belt sander first thing. Dremels are kid stuff. The belt sander doesnt leave little divots to sand out, the way my dremel does, and it excavates a lot of steel quickly. Vintage blades and new ones with heel issues will get the sandpaper on tile treatment as usual. I'm not gonna dig up those new rocks with recalcitrant heels and such.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Oh, well I can tell u now I like the 12k cause I used one after my Norton combo before I discovered the joys of film. I'm sure I will find the others quite good, too.

I'm interested in hearing if your 8k behaves the same as mine. It could be that the extreme dryness in Colorado may be what caused the large deviation from flatness during use that I was experiencing. Gluing the stone to a base seems to have fixed the problem for me.

When I was using only Super Stones, the 20mm version was my choice. Now I have two SPs, they're pretty darn nice too. No warping seen but anytihng can happen. I've had Choseras craze, a 10k C arrive cracked badly, etc.
All part of the game.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Performed almost as expected. I just honed one of my rejects that I intend to PIF soon. The 1k and 3k performed nicely and I treetopped arm hair after the 3k over most of the blade. The 8k had a lot of grit standing proud, and I think it will need a few blades honed on it before it will turn out optimum performance. I should have lapped them on some fine wet/dry but I have had a really long day and just felt like honing something on the rocks and they are pretty darn flat anyhow. The 12k loaded up a bit, and like the 8k I expect that to go away after honing a few blades. After regular honing I used the lather trick on the 12k, then a few dozen swipes on the diamond pasted balsa. The test shave was pretty decent. I have had worse shaves off of film so I'm okay with this setup I think, for when I don't need absolute optimum edges and I am honing a bunch of razors. For a "ME" blade I will of course continue to use film.

I didn't soak these stones, and they weren't particularly thirsty so I will use them splash & go style.

Top Bottom