What's new

Unbleached boar brushes - what's available?

Could we make a list of the boar brushes that we know are unbleached? Admittedly manufacturers may be vague about this, but let's see if we can compile something based on the evidence available?

Purely off the looks and the feels of it, Omega brushes seem to be unbleached. They have the darkest bristle and does not bloom easily as others that are possibly bleached (Zenith, Semogues). I know Zenith have some unbleached bristles as well.

I have a bleached (10066) and an unbleached Omega (011842 from Connaught). I do not like the 10066 as it is too thin and fairly small. I just received the 011842 from Connaught Shaving and I think I will like it a lot. It is soaking for 24 hours before I give it a spin. It is fuller and a larger overall brush. Many have given it high marks here on B&B.

Where does it actually say the 011842 is unbleached? If I try and Google "unbleached Omega boar" I'm not getting anything.
Well, I have one and it is not bleached and I have read from others here on B&B also stating it is unbleached. If it is bleached, it is some really poor bleach.

General rule is that boar knots are not bleached unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer. There are very blonde knots with thin, soft and floppy bristles that are not bleached. Boar varies batch to batch.

My Omega 48 has such thin, floppy, blonde bristles and it's a complete pushover. Only good for creams. I know it's not bleached because it has few black bristles here and there.

General rule is that boar knots are not bleached unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer. There are very blonde knots with thin, soft and floppy bristles that are not bleached. Boar varies batch to batch. My Omega 48 has such thin, floppy, blonde bristles and it's a complete pushover. Only good for creams. I know it's not bleached because it has few black bristles here and there.

I'm still very unclear about this. Unbleached certainly rules out banded boars doesn't it? They're first bleached then banded?

So is the presence of black bristles an indication that it's unbleached?

I'm still very unclear about this. Unbleached certainly rules out banded boars doesn't it? They're first bleached then banded?

So is the presence of black bristles an indication that it's unbleached?

Banded is typically dyed dark half way and then bleached on the tips. This gives the 3 band silvertip effect. Fully bleached knots are kept fully blonde.

Few shavers have stated that dyed badger effect knots are better because shafts are kept stiff while the tips are softened by bleaching.

And yes, fully bleached knots will have only blonde bristles.

I remember reading on one of the shaving forums the full procedure for chemical treatment of harvested boar hair. All of it is treated with heavy duty industrial chemicals, but some are overdone for the fully blonde effect. It's impossible to replicate the same procedure with regular off the shelf hair treatments for humans. They are simply not strong enough.

Machine tied knots are trimmed. The ones with least trimming (or completely hand tied) are sold as premium. Vulfix calls it 'delux' IIRC.

I have a bleached (10066) and an unbleached Omega (011842 from Connaught). I do not like the 10066 as it is too thin and fairly small. I just received the 011842 from Connaught Shaving and I think I will like it a lot. It is soaking for 24 hours before I give it a spin. It is fuller and a larger overall brush. Many have given it high marks here on B&B.

I’m pretty sure the 10066 is unbleached. Mine clearly has black boar hairs interspersed throughout. To me, it is a great bush for face lathering—perfect size with lots of backbone. I love the handle shape as well.

Last edited:

I have both of those brushes as well as the Pro 49. If I’m not mistaken the 10066 and the Connaught are very close in size. For me the difference between the two is the Connaught is super soft right out of the box and the handle is much nicer. But the color of the bristles seems the same. Are you sure the Connaught is bleached and the 10066 isn’t?

I have both of those brushes as well as the Pro 49. If I’m not mistaken the 10066 and the Connaught are very close in size. For me the difference between the two is the Connaught is super soft right out of the box and the handle is much nicer. But the color of the bristles seems the same. Are you sure the Connaught is bleached and the 10066 isn’t?
The opposite. The Connaught is unbleached and the 10066 is bleached. At least that is how they look to me. I would say the Connaught is 25% larger. I would take a picture of both but I am traveling this weekend

Black hairs very clearly in my 10066–the rest are straw colored—doesn’t look bleached to me:
C6C00BE4-146E-4AB4-BFC9-91A2F0749F79.jpeg

Top Bottom