What's new

Un-peening scales

Here is a pin I just removed. If I had tried to tap that through the scales I think they would have cracked.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Dremel, but if you are looking for an inexpensive tool, use a flat needle file to file off the mushroomed part of the pin and carefully tap it through using the new pin. You can stick tape over the pin, and file through it, if you want to be extra careful. Cutters will always be risky, because it will put pressure on the scales.

Un-pinned a Morley this weekend with bolsters on the scales. Because the peened end of the pin was recessed I couldn’t use flush cutters. Decided to try @eKretz’s method. Used a ball burr to make a starting spot on the pin then used @Doc226’s method of drilling (but with an 18v). Worked out great, I’ll probably do this more often especially with more fragile scales.

Flush cutters work great if you can get the jaws to 'bite' on the washer/pin; mask the scales with good tape first. Or file the pin off on one side, again - mask the scales to protect them. A piercing saw works for tedious situations if you have the right blades. Drilling works but most use a drill press, I don't have one though. I just choke up on the bit to minimize runout. 70-80% of the time I use cutters, the rest of the time I go for the saw.

Top Bottom