What's new

Un-peening scales

Hi,
What is the best way to depeen and razor without marring up the scales, with minimal tools? I was thinking flush cutters, but that looks like it would scar up the scales.

I use flush cutters, I just tape around the pin before cutting. It has kept scales safe for me.

I haven't removed an SR pin, but I wonder if you could use the same technique I use for removing rivets.

Use a small punch (or nail) to make a dimple on one side. Use a drill bit the same size, or just slightly larger, than the internal pin diameter. Use a drill press to drill down through the dome until you get to the pin shaft. You'll know because the "dome" will break loose and spin.

I haven't removed an SR pin, but I wonder if you could use the same technique I use for removing rivets.

Use a small punch (or nail) to make a dimple on one side. Use a drill bit the same size, or just slightly larger, than the internal pin diameter. Use a drill press to drill down through the dome until you get to the pin shaft. You'll know because the "dome" will break loose and spin.
Yes that works as well, probably would be what I do if I had access to a drill press.

I use a 3/16" diameter "ball" burr in an 1/8" die grinder (basically a fancier Dremel). This makes it easy to see if you're centered up on the pin since it starts as a point contact.

I drill everything out. Flush clutters can work but they put pressure on the scales. I’ve seen more than a few cracked scales from this.

Drifting the pin out with a punch is always dangerous, I would say 90% of the pins I removed are bent.

You really need a drill press and a sharp bit. What I do is file the pin flat and then drill the pin, I like to rock the razor to enlarge the hole. After the washer pops out I gently lift the scale off the drilled pin. Remove the blade and cut the pin near the other side. Then you can pull out the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drill everything out. Flush clutters can work but they put pressure on the scales. I’ve seen more than a few cracked scales from this.

Drifting the pin out with a punch is always dangerous, I would say 90% of the pins I removed are bent.

You really need a drill press and a sharp bit. What I do is file the pin flat and then drill the pin, I like to rock the razor to enlarge the hole. After the washer pops out I gently lift the scale off the drilled pin. Remove the blade and cut the pin near the other side. Then you can pull out the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The last steps in that process are similar to what I do. But instead of cutting the pin I place it over a hole in my mini anvil and very lightly tap it until it sticks out of the other side. Then I gently pull it out.

To avoid cracking when cutting I gently squeeze the scales together to make sure the flush cutters don’t put pressure on them. I also do this in a ziploc bag to avoid the pin from flying around.

One day when I have to room though I will definitely have a proper drill press to avoid the possibility of the issues flush cutters impose.

885911577892lg.jpg
I may have to settle for flush cutters, because a drill press is out of the question for now . The flush cutters at Lowe's are called diagonal cutters?? They look like flush cutters, but they look pretty bulky. Way too bulky for fine detail work such as a straight razor??

I may have to settle for flush cutters, because a drill press is out of the question for now . The flush cutters at Lowe's are called diagonal cutters?? They look like flush cutters, but they look pretty bulky. Way too bulky for fine detail work such as a straight razor??

https://m.lowes.com/pd/craftsman-4-...NcIdMSBsKunADGms1DAO5sqry-hP-YeUaAs2xEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/KISENG-Plier...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520382185327&psc=1
Your link isn't working. Insure the cutters cutting side is totally flat like the cutters in my first link. Not beveled like the ones in my second link.
https://www.amazon.com/SPEEDWOX-Diagonal-Compound-Precision-Professional/dp/B07DKYNY4N/ref=sr_1_9?crid=19LRQDKA88QWB&keywords=diagonal+cutters+7+inch&qid=1551679642&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=diagonal+cu,sporting,175&sr=1-9-catcorr

They make them in different sizes. My links are just showing the edges.

If you want to use cutters, you're looking for "full flush" cutters. Those will be made flat ground on one side with a bevel on the other. Be very careful with that method.

If you want to use cutters, you're looking for "full flush" cutters. Those will be made flat ground on one side with a bevel on the other. Be very careful with that method.
It looks when using the flush cutters, that maybe when you make a cut it would deform the edges of the pin at the cut. So when you pull either side through you would damage the scales, because of the burrs would be catching in the pin hole on the scales? Or does the cutters make a clean cut on the pin? Meaning burr free cut?

It looks when using the flush cutters, that maybe when you make a cut it would deform the edges of the pin at the cut. So when you pull either side through you would damage the scales, because of the burrs would be catching in the pin hole on the scales? Or does the cutters make a clean cut on the pin? Meaning burr free cut?
Because of the bevel, as you start to cut, it can drive the cutters into the scales, which can cause them to break. This is why NPV squeezes the scales together to get a slight amount of room.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Depending on what the scales are made of, I will use flash cutters, drill or jewelers saw and cut on the inside. Flash cutters cause pressure and can crack scales. Drill can generate heat and damage scales. Saw on ivory and unusual material, hardest to use but causes the least damage

It doesn't matter if you squeeze the scales together - if they're pinned correctly in the first place there is no extra room to gain from doing this. And yes if the cutters are not razor sharp they will deform the pin. Full flush razor sharp cutters will cut cleanly without deformation or applying pressure to the scales but they are not cheap and may be damaged cutting such thick material. They're designed for cutting small gauge soft copper wire. The safest method I've found to avoid any problems is the ball burr.

Last edited:
I have a small sheet of brass the same thickness as the washer. I drilled a hole through it the size of the washer. Lay it over the pin and file the end off. Grinds the peined end off without any damage to the scales.

It doesn't matter if you squeeze the scales together - if they're pinned correctly in the first place there is no extra room to gain from doing this. And yes if the cutters are not razor sharp they will deform the pin. Full flush razor sharp cutters will cut cleanly without deformation or applying pressure to the scales but they are not cheap and may be damaged cutting such thick material. They're designed for cutting small gauge soft copper wire. The safest method I've found to avoid any problems is the ball burr.
ball burr?? I will have to Google that.

I have a small sheet of brass the same thickness as the washer. I drilled a hole through it the size of the washer. Lay it over the pin and file the end off. Grinds the peined end off without any damage to the scales.
That sounds like a good idea! But were do you find a brass sheet that thin?

Top Bottom