What's new

Umbrella Inside Cane

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I've been looking for an umbrella/cane combo with the umbrella stored inside of the cane. The only one that I’ve found so far is this one by Concord - Crook Handle Cane w/Umbrella Inside

It seems like just the ticket, but I haven’t found a single review.

Here is my logic for wanting such a device. When traveling by air and using Carry-On only luggage I need to be very careful about everything that I pack. What I discovered recently while traveling with a broken limb, is that walking aids do not count against you as baggage or a personal item.

I’ve found several canes that have umbrellas on the outside and of course they look like umbrellas, not canes. I don’t want to have to argue about its true functionality at the time of boarding.

Also, at my age and with a torn meniscus, I could really use a walking aid for getting around all day on my feet. So why not get double duty out of it if possible and have an umbrella with me at all times? However, I don’t want a useless piece of crap that doesn’t serve either function very well either.

Please share your thoughts and suggestions on this.

Thanks.

Hmm! Hadn't heard of the airline rule and have no experience with an umbrella/cane. But I, too, would look hard for reviews of a $90 item. From my limited umbrella experience, I would be afraid that getting the umbrella part back inside the cane part might become very difficult. When I ditch umbrellas it is usually because I can't get them folded back up to a useable shape.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have one of the ones with the umbrella on the outside, but the brolly on mine is detachable ... which makes a lot of sense, because otherwise you find yourself without a walking stick when it rains. If you need a walking aid, the last thing you need is to sacrifice it and replace it with something that will catch the wind and pull you off balance....

The other thing about the brolly canes, is that they are heavy. This gets tedious pretty quick. I don't tend to use mine when going anywhere on foot, but might take it if I'm going somewhere by car, and might need the brolly if I'm nipping outside for a smoke. Most of the time I'll just opt for a packable jacket, and peaked waterproof hat, along with my usual walking stick - although sometimes I'll carry one of the small pocketable brollies.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have one of the ones with the umbrella on the outside, but the brolly on mine is detachable ... which makes a lot of sense, because otherwise you find yourself without a walking stick when it rains. If you need a walking aid, the last thing you need is to sacrifice it and replace it with something that will catch the wind and pull you off balance....

The other thing about the brolly canes, is that they are heavy. This gets tedious pretty quick. I don't tend to use mine when going anywhere on foot, but might take it if I'm going somewhere by car, and might need the brolly if I'm nipping outside for a smoke. Most of the time I'll just opt for a packable jacket, and peaked waterproof hat, along with my usual walking stick - although sometimes I'll carry one of the small pocketable brollies.

What kind do you have with the detachable brolly? You bring up a good point about losing the functionality of the walking aid.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
What kind do you have with the detachable brolly? You bring up a good point about losing the functionality of the walking aid.

Walking Stick Umbrella, Black - Umbrellas & more at Umbrella Heaven

One thing I didn't mention before, is the foot on this walking stick is non standard, as it has to fit down the shaft of the brolly. When that foot wears, I'll have to remake one from scratch, as I won't be able to buy a replacement. That's another reason I don't take this when going for a walk. As I said, I'll gran this if wherever I'm going, I'll be getting there by car/taxi, and spending most of the time indoors. I'll wear the foot out a lot slower on carpet and flooring than on asphalt and paving slabs.

Top Bottom