What's new

Um.. it's so small!

Wow, I had no idea that the DE razors were so small! Compared to the Mach3 I'm used to, it's about 3/4 of the length. Rather surprised! And I got a new mug and shave soap(first ones). So it should be an interesting shave tomorrow morning.

Speedwagon said:
Wow, I had no idea that the DE razors were so small! Compared to the Mach3 I'm used to, it's about 3/4 of the length. Rather surprised! And I got a new mug and shave soap(first ones). So it should be an interesting shave tomorrow morning.
Well Mitch,
Good luck... Just remember, it's not the size, but how you use it that counts! No pressure, let the razor do the work, and DON'T CHOKEUP on the handle! :001_rolle
BTW, what model DE did you buy? I find that the Merkur Futur has a great heft. Now if you bought one of the girly-boy HDs, well that's another story..:lol:

guenron said:
Well Mitch,
Good luck... Just remember, it's not the size, but how you use it that counts! No pressure, let the razor do the work, and DON'T CHOKEUP on the handle! :001_rolle
BTW, what model DE did you buy? I find that the Merkur Futur has a great heft. Now if you bought one of the girly-boy HDs, well that's another story..:lol:

Well, after doing some reading, it seemed that the Merkur Classic was a safe bet for a first razor. But, no regulars in stock(and time was running out on my Mach3 blades, without wanting to buy more), so I got an HD.

And dang, this razor blade is so thin! Looking at it all assembled though, it's not so intimidating as it sounds when you read through some of this stuff for the first time.

Yeah, say that when you're ready to apply the razor to your face for the first time! I know I was more than a little ginger the first few days. Unfortunately, since I lost my fear of the blade, I seem to nick myself a lot more. :frown:

Mike

Speedwagon said:
They may be smaller, but they're heavier and more powerful than a locomotive! :w00t:

What kind of soap did you get?

--Mark

mantic said:
They may be smaller, but they're heavier and more powerful than a locomotive! :w00t:

What kind of soap did you get?

--Mark

Ordered from Classic Shaving, and got their brand of soap that came with a mug. Bay Rum scent(as had no idea what it smelled like, and was eager to find out).

A thought for your shave, a few minutes of prep can save 15 minutes with a steptic pencil! Let us know how you fared and if there are any questions.

guenron said:
A thought for your shave, a few minutes of prep can save 15 minutes with a steptic pencil! Let us know how you fared and if there are any questions.

Not too bad, actually. Came out unscathed from cuts. I was rather gingerly with the razor though, so I got about the same shave I get from the Mach3, if not a touch better. And the soap smelled way better than the gillette stuff.

Speedwagon said:
Not too bad, actually. Came out unscathed from cuts. I was rather gingerly with the razor though, so I got about the same shave I get from the Mach3, if not a touch better. And the soap smelled way better than the gillette stuff.
Good show! Nothing better than a good first encounter to build the resilience needed to overcome the trials that invariably ensue when searching for perfection. A bit of time, patience, and a plan will serve you well.

[...]

And dang, this razor blade is so thin! Looking at it all assembled though, it's not so intimidating as it sounds when you read through some of this stuff for the first time.

I love showing my razors to people for the first time, just for their reactions to the sight and feel of the razor and blades.
:thumbup1:

I had the same reaction , i guesse i built them up in my mind to be the razors of the gods and then...wow thats small :thumbup:

OT but does this win any award for ressurecting the longest dead thread ( 4 years :w00t: )

That was my first thought with the HD. It'll get the job done though!

And oddly enough, I was thinking about it today on my way to the post office to send out some shaving stuff...

It's not the size that matters its what you do with the strokes that count.:w00t: The 33C is a great shaver it was mg first and still gets use. Although lately the only razors I seem to be interested in are all pre Kennedy administration.

I always choke up, be it the Futur, an HD, the Feather AS, whatever. I feel I have a better touch and less tendency to apply pressure that way. It is harder for me to keep the blade parallel to my face holding the end of the handle. Fewer errant moves. YMMV.

I used my travel tech for 2 weeks this summer and had no problem getting a great shave. It's not the length or heft......yup, I'm going to say it....it's all in the head!

That post was 4 years in the making!

Top Bottom