What's new

Ultralight Safety Razor?

Some time ago now, I abandoned the super Gillette blue Chinese razor, and replaced it by the Dorco PL602.

The Dorco PL602 without the blade weighs 12 grams, the razor is made of two plastic pieces.

It's the lightest razor yet :thumbup1:
This is a 2-piece like the Wilkie/Treet?

This is a 2-piece like the Wilkie/Treet?

Yes.

MBq8D8m.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys... If I were going to do some travelling with a backpack, what's the lightest, most packable safety razor I can find? Preferably, something that is currently on the market. I have a short handled travel razor, but it still has a bit of weight to it. Looking for something plastic, or something like that. Recommendations are appreciated.

Are you traveling or backpacking? If traveling, any of the suggestions on this thread are probably fine. If backpacking, I'd go with something like the Bic Metal, or even the plastic, orange Bics you can get at any supermarket. I wouldn't carry one in my pack, but rather buy one whenever you are in town for the day, or bounce it forward.

So there are copies around?
Look like it 🤪

Look like it 🤪
Ok I misunderstood your post. Sure there are lots of cloned Tech heads under different Chinese brands available but nobody is copying the actual plastic handled Super Blue.

Most of a razor's weight is in the handle. I would either take one of those black plastic handles from those cheap razor-blade combos you see online and put it on a decent razor, or I would use the thin aluminum handle from a Lord L6. But there aren't many scenarios where I would use a bad, light razor head.

A relatively small and light Merkur 33 weighs 56 grams with its short, hollow handle. The head, alone, weighs 30 grams.This would ordinarily be my pick for a travel razor. I do not like the L6, but I would be happy putting its aluminum handle and my Merkur 33, if appropriate.

On the other hand, a dozen BIC Sensitive orange-white single blade razors weigh less than most DE razors: 64 grams in the sealed bag. That can easily give you three months of excellent daily shaving - six months if you push it. These are what I would use when camping, no doubt about it. Great razors!

We're talking 5 grams per razor, people -- that's two tea bags. What more do you want, a helium filled razor? (Shhhh! This might be what P&G's Razor Improvement Division will come out with next: a Zero-Weight Razor.)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, guys... I appreciate it. I'm going to take a look at your recommended razors.

Just a minor thing, the Super Blue is a proper Tech from Gillette Shanghai NOT a copy.
The GSB also shaves like a vintage Tech. I use mine at home, but with a titanium handle. The hollow plastic handle does work surprisingly well, though, so would be excellent for backpacking.

I would buy from eBay rather than AliExpress, for faster delivery and better purchase protection.

The GSB also shaves like a vintage Tech. I use mine at home, but with a titanium handle. The hollow plastic handle does work surprisingly well, though, so would be excellent for backpacking.

I would buy from eBay rather than AliExpress, for faster delivery and better purchase protection.
I was biased against the plastic handle but after using it for a month last April

it is now permanently in my rotation.

Then a Bic Metal is the optimum, 10+ excellent shaves and it weighs nothing.
Gut! The lightest weight shave kit I have used for camping is a BIC Metal and a tiny eyedropper bottle of Shave Secret shave oil. No brush. Pre-shave is a few drops of Dr. Bronner's soap with water. Not a luxury experience, but it works OK.

PAA El Fantasma. 14g.

This is about as good as it gets for ultralight backpacking. However, if I didn't mind an extra ounce or so, I like the Merkur 985C (44g) a lot better. I often shave with this at home.

In general I think an open comb is the best choice for backpacking since you might be going a long time between shaves.

I'll also pack a couple of "lipstick tube" containers (you can buy them on ebay) filled with Arko which covers all washing/shaving. You don't need a huge amount of soap for a sponge bath twice a day. Arko is just the right consistency to stuff in a lipstick container: soft enough to mould but also firm enough to hold its shape.

Get a smallish piece of real sponge too. They work so much better at picking up water v synthetic.

Next step in my backpacking wash kit is to experiment with linen waffle towels. Linen is supposed to be very absorbent but lightweight and waffle weave helps towels to dry out quicker.

Not criticizing but just how heavy can your present travel razor be?

Modern camping gear is very light. A tent like the MLD Trailstar only weighs about a pound and a half but it's at least as strong as some 4-pole geodesics weighing 9lbs. Everyone is shedding the pounds these days.

At home, a pack might not seem too heavy. But if you regularly push yourself to your physical limits, you start to take a dim view of unnecessary weight ;)

Top Bottom