What's new

Ultra-sensitive skin soap recommendations

Hi all

Tabac soap is great on my skin and everything else stings. I haven't tried that many:
Burt's bees - I think is not a shave soap at all
Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad - nice scent, tolerable sting
QED Bergamot - nice smell, stings quite a bit
Various "barber's soaps / sticks" from Eastern Europe - decent sting
I have also tried some creams (Caswell-Massey, Kiehl's) - not good

I have received some tips from people w/ sensitive skin to try Truefitt & Hill and Harris.AoS lavender, Trumper's Violet. I am biased against the AoS but quite open to other stuff. Was wondering about Honeybee camomile, Mama Bear (but heard some people had reactions to it) and Coleen.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, as this might give me variety (though I love Tabac!)

Any chance to buy small soap samples? (I have seen the cremes, but prefer to use a soap, and someone said creams might be even more irritating)

Thank you
Ivo

Neat, Trumper makes Violet soap? :001_tt1: You mean I can smell like whore's handbag in the morning? Must...buy....

I also have sensitive skin and have used a few soaps allegedly good for sensitive skin - here's my experience:

1. AoS Lavender: Good lubrication, no sting
2. Trumper Violet: Good lubrication, no sting
3. Colleen's Violet: Ouch! Sting
4. Taylor of Old Bond Street Lavender: Ouch! Sting. And very drying

i believe mama bear makes an unscented shave soap for sensitive skin types.

s~s

edit - yes, she has one for $5.75 - "ideal for anyone who is fragrance or chemical sensitive".

The best I ever found is Coates Rose-fornmulated for sensitive skin. Rose, in general, seems to be the sensitive skin "flavor". Try one of the english rose creams like trumpers.

Ivo, I know Colleen does have sample sizes of her soaps. I don't know which might be more/less likely to sting though. I think she was having trouble logging onto B&B at one point, so you might want to drop her a note at SRP. Good luck!

Jordan

PS - Love Tabac too!:biggrin:

izlat said:
I am biased against the AoS but quite open to other stuff. Was wondering about Honeybee camomile, Mama Bear (but heard some people had reactions to it) and Coleen.

Not quite sure why you're biased against the AOS products. I tried the lavender for my sensitive skin but also bought some of the AOS Lemon and boy is it every great! Proraso doesn't bother me either. But for some reason the AOS Lavender seems to irritate just ever so slightly.

MamaBear all the way. I'd go with the unscented. Its 100 percent soap, leaving nothing to be allergic to except the soap itself... besides Sue is one heck of a nice lady.

Of all the creams and soaps I have tried, I found that the Honeybee soaps to be the best. I have sensitive skin and this soap works great. Must be the shea butter and/or the vitamin E but even the scented soaps provide an excellent and irritation free shave for me.

QED Lavender is the scented QED product I find least irritating, Charles also makes an unscented soap that would likely work for you.

I think Proraso might work - If the green tube doesn't work for you, try the stuff in the RED tube if you can find it, as its is specially formulated for sensitive skin and contains wheat germ oil.

I actually find lavender soaps to be very good generally and note that the Coates lavender specifically says it is for sensitive skin.

Hope this helps.

It does for me. The only downpoint about it....and I don't know if it's really a downpoint, is that it's really good for the skin and actually sinks IN to the skin after a while. So if your passes take too long you'll have to re-lather. But give it a shot, the soap is cheap, the shipping is as well, and the balm that they have is simply amazing. If I could find a cologne to match it I'd buy it instantly. The scent is really nice but not long lasting at all so it'll never clash with any cologne that you like.

Thank you all for the responses!

The freak that I am, already did a quickie excel table with brand, model, and work-in-progress "acquisition rank" - the order, in which I will be trying these.

Cheers
Ivo

izlat said:

The freak that I am, already did a quickie excel table with brand, model, and work-in-progress "acquisition rank" - the order, in which I will be trying these.

Cheers
Ivo

Sorry, Ivo.

I've already beaten you to the punch... currently my spreadsheet is at 498 rows.... and growing.

-joedy

Top Bottom