What's new

Ultimate MENTHOLATION

Hi Gents,
I know that there is an almost uncountable number of threads on B&B about adding menthol crystal to aftershaves and questions how to add it to lather and so on. To be honest I do not want to add menthol crystals dissolved in alcohol to my lather or in olive oil as I read somewhere. And as they do not dissolve in water or glycerin and I did not want to buy pre-dissolved crystals or pepprmint esence which would be more expensive I had to find something else.

So I found DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL 250ml for 6.7$ on british amazon.
It has literally no smell and I find it neutral in terms of effect to my lather. It is a substance frequently used in cosmetics.

So this is what I did:
I poured D-Glycol into the small vial as can be seen in the picture. Then I dissolved as many menthol crystals in it as I could.
Now I add from 2 to 4 small drops into my lather (any lather - it is an interesting combination with a Col. Conk bay rum soap for example) depending on my mood and temperature (no air-condition in my house).

But now I get to the adjektiv ULTIMATE.
It is ultimate because you can add it to pretty much anything you wish.
Your lather, ASB, shower gel, shampoo, hair conditioner.

I hope this helps to some of you :)

$2014-04-23 14.51.04.jpg

Last edited:
Great info, thanks! I love menthol and dissolved a fair amount into my Gillette Coolwave but I didn't really know how to add it to my lather. I did try dissolving it in vodka and adding it to my lather but I find that it dries up my lather too quickly.

Too bad I have never tried Yeti Snot and not even Proraso green for that matter. But I will try to mentholate proraso soon :)

I once tried to add some AV to a bowl of Cella I whipped up, It went soupy, and lost the lather. I thought it was because of the menthol, maybe it was something else.

Your idea sounds like a good one,

Just ordered a liter of fragrance grade dipropylene glycol, can't wait to test it out! I finally can have mentholated lather and balms!

Interesting post. I'm watching thread with interest. I have menthol crystals that I use in aftershaves. Looks like I'll be ordering some Dipropylene Glycol.

Will do. I also ordered a bottle of peppermint essential oil so I could meet the minimum amount required for free shipping. Might add that into the mix I use for lathering as well.

I would be interested in the differences between peppermint essential oil and dissolved menthol crystals in terms of cooling effect, what amount of each is necessary to achieve the same level of cooling sensation and scent.

I would be interested in the differences between peppermint essential oil and dissolved menthol crystals in terms of cooling effect, what amount of each is necessary to achieve the same level of cooling sensation and scent.

Peppermint essential oil will give less cooling than menthol but more scent. The two should combine quite well though. I've just planted my herbs and I'm considering distilling some essential oils later this year. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

I'm actually planning to mix them both, the essential oil is for the scent and the menthol for the kick

Received the Dipropylene Glycol today! I made a test lather with it and it works great, the later wasn't affected and I got a really good kick from the menthol. And I managed to get it really cheap as well, 22 MYR for a 1L bottle. That's roughly 7 USD :laugh:

$20140430_165856.jpg

That's the menthol crystals in the orange bottle and the peppermint essential oil in the blue one. Mixed all three in a small glass bottle so I can dispense it easily.
$20140430_180146.jpg

Top Bottom