What's new

UK Shipping Of Razors And Blades

I just received an email from a UK-based shaving supply vendor (doesn’t matter who) saying the following….

Offensive Weapons Act​

Change To UK Deliveries​

This week further sections of the Offensive Weapons Act 2019 came into force which will affect all internet purchases of razors and blades in the UK. We will in future be required to send all such orders through an age verified service. We intend to use Royal Mail Tracked 24 Age Verified or Tracked 48 Age Verified.​

Furthermore, as our shipping costs have remained unchanged for over 5 years, despite ever increasing costs, we have regrettably had to make some changes to our delivery rates.​

For orders under £125 there will now be different rates for razors/blades to reflect the additional costs of using the premium age verified service. Other items will be at reduced rates.​

Have any of you in the UK come across this yet? Sounds like razors and blades can still be delivered in the UK but they will require a premium shipping service with age verification.

Seems like this may be one of those onerous UK regulations that the politicians used to claim were caused by the EU, but weren’t. I’ve never heard of a child running amok and causing mass fatalities with a 5-pack of Gillette Nacets. Not yet, anyway. But I guess I can understand why straight razors might be worthy of some control, like for other large knives. Not sure that age verification solves anything, though.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Makes me glad I don't live in the UK! But then again, things are starting to get really bad in America regulation wise as well. I find it fascinating how these regulation changes have suddenly happened conveniently, during the Ukrainian and Russian war. I am thinking there is probably some correlation there.

Does this apply to all of the internet regarding blades purchases, or is it just some websites you order from? I know when it comes to many Ebay sellers, none of them can care two cents about regulations lol. Interesting topic, love to hear how this all pans out for the people being regulated by the UK government.

I just received an email from a UK-based shaving supply vendor (doesn’t matter who) saying the following….

Offensive Weapons Act​

Change To UK Deliveries​

This week further sections of the Offensive Weapons Act 2019 came into force which will affect all internet purchases of razors and blades in the UK. We will in future be required to send all such orders through an age verified service. We intend to use Royal Mail Tracked 24 Age Verified or Tracked 48 Age Verified.​

Furthermore, as our shipping costs have remained unchanged for over 5 years, despite ever increasing costs, we have regrettably had to make some changes to our delivery rates.​

For orders under £125 there will now be different rates for razors/blades to reflect the additional costs of using the premium age verified service. Other items will be at reduced rates.​

Have any of you in the UK come across this yet? Sounds like razors and blades can still be delivered in the UK but they will require a premium shipping service with age verification.

Seems like this may be one of those onerous UK regulations that the politicians used to claim were caused by the EU, but weren’t. I’ve never heard of a child running amok and causing mass fatalities with a 5-pack of Gillette Nacets. Not yet, anyway. But I guess I can understand why straight razors might be worthy of some control, like for other large knives. Not sure that age verification solves anything, though.

I think it was the UK Government "cracking down on knife crime" once again. A nice sound bite for two minutes, followed by years of inconvenience and added cost for many citizens, and with no benefit whatsoever. Any tearaway youngster who wants to get hold of a knife will do so with the greatest ease despite such idiotic rules.
I had a notification about this from probably the UK's leading knife supplier, but didn't realise it also applied to razors and blades. I suppose it makes perfect sense if you're the Home Secretary.

It has nothing to do with the EU and was introduced to bring down knife crime in the teenage groups which was quite often gang related. Selling of knives, kitchen or otherwise, must be to a person over 18 years old. Not unusual for a store to ask for ID same as they do when selling alcohol in the bars.
Non locking pocket knives, blade less than 3", may be carried in a public place. It would be hard to justify carrying a shavette with a loaded half DE blade to school even though that blade length was much less than 3".
Anybody under the age of 16 is classed as a child so that covers a lot of teenagers.
The law does get broken and people die.
Does this apply to all of the internet regarding blades purchases...
Yes, applies to all online purchases too.

Despite not living in the UK, the seller of the last straight I purchased asked for me to confirm for their postal service that it was OK to send a razor by post. I was somewhat bemused and befuddled by the request but replied it was fine. This was an intra EU purchase as buying from the UK is almost cost prohibitive with added VAT, customs fees and administration charges added to the cost.

Amazon UK also demands proof of age for a razor blade or a tiny penknife. You can of course buy a safety razor with no blades and that won't need verification. As mentioned previously, eBay sellers don't usually care, although eBay has started adding VAT to imports.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am in my mid 50s and have lived in the UK all my life. The land of my birth now seems barely recognisable, I no longer have a sense of affinity or kinship with most of those who purport to be my fellow countrymen; and what is worse is that I no longer care. To me the UK as a nation of people is far inferior to that in which I was born and raised. I suspect however that many people in my age group have similar thoughts in countries the world over, and have done since time began; a part of growing old I suspect, at least I hope so for the sake of my daughter.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Gents...
A few posts removed and some on the borderline.
PLEASE
Wing about regulations if you must (though it doesn't do anything except make you feel a little better) but keep politics out of B&B.
Take your frustration out on the politicians at your local elections, not here at B&B where we come to specifically avoid that.

I think it will inconvenience (mostly) inoffensive buyers, and anyway, criminals can easily improvise close-quarters weapons, as men have done since the stone age.

This has the side-effect of making me feel a lot better about my "Backup Disorder" last year, which now looks less like a disorder and more like good forward planning, executed in a timely manner.

I have at least 1,100 good DE blades, which if I store them properly to prevent deterioration, should be enough to see me out (at roughly 1 blade a week).

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Gents...
A few posts removed and some on the borderline.
PLEASE
Wing about regulations if you must (though it doesn't do anything except make you feel a little better) but keep politics out of B&B.
Take your frustration out on the politicians at your local elections, not here at B&B where we come to specifically avoid that.
+1

I bought a razor, probably from the same supplier a couple of weeks ago, I am in the UK.
It arrived without any real problem the only difference was that the postie knocked on the door instead of putting it through the letterbox. The lady post person took one look at me and knew that I was older than God's dog.
Posties are a valued part of British society. Moving to Scotland from South Africa I was amazed by the efficiency of the postal service. With the same posties maintaining their rounds for years on end, you had the opportunity to build a great relationship with them. They would know where to leave your parcel when you are not in, being the neighbour or the wheelie bin at the back of your house if a signature is not required.

For some reason, these days there seem to be a different one every couple of months. They must have a greater turnover of staff for reasons unknown.

Personally never had an issue with deliveries. Knives, razors, whatever, but things changed with Brexit, to the point where I am reluctant to order anything from other countries.

Don't know when this started but I had some blades delivered a few months ago and the postie just bunged them through the letter box.

Also about the same time I ordered a couple of pocket knives from Heinnie, a top uk knife supplier and they just came through the letter box the same way.

Perhaps my regular postie doesn't care!

Gareth

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Age verification at the door is not a problem for me. I've had tobacco and sharps delivered with no problems whatsoever. The regular postal folk know me, and those that don't, know at first glance I've not been a kid for a few decades.

The only real change of consequence, is that it can increase postal charges slightly, if you've not hit the threshold for free shipping. At worst, that might mean I go and buy elsewhere for a lower delivered cost. I find the ubiquitous data harvesting a far bigger affront to personal freedoms, than whether or not a kid can buy a sharp thing without parental consent/assistance.

Top Bottom