What's new

UK newbie says hello

Hello all. Thanks for having me. I started shaving my head a few months ago (cassette type) and started to increasingly get irritation and growing spots. I started to read up on what I could do.

And that brought me to straight razors (and safeties but I've not tried them). So... I've got my strop (actually two one's a suede and quite small and my main which is leather), my straight razor, a navy shaving scuttle, my brush and a lanolin shaving soap.

I gotta say I love it. Still got a way to go over the curve. But I have always love crafts and this has got such a personal preference and individual touch that it speaks and with the exfoliation from the blade I don't think my skin has ever felt better.

Now as I said I'm using this to shave my scalp as well as my face so if anyone has particular tips on that side I'd appreciate it. Around my ears is a particular trouble spot. Also with the scuttle if I use as they are made I can't really build a lather. I've put my luck into the top compartment and my brush in its slot with the water... But that then drowns the brush which over-wets the soap. If I don't fill the bottom bowl with hot water the lather comes out really really cold in this weather. I've watched some videos etc but mainly they talk about building your lather in a bowl without a puck at its base. Am I doing something obviously wrong with it.... Or should I simply not keep my brush in there (where it's supposed to be kept supposedly) and simply use the bottom bowl for keeping the lather warm?

Anyway I'll be devouring so many of the great posts on here. Any ideas on a good post shave Balm for beginners? Thinking of getting an alum stick soon too, does brand matter for that?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to B&B and the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving. Pop on over to the Straight Razor section where you will be expertly guided.

Alum is just potassium aluminium sulphate, KAl(SO4)2 so all brands should be the same. You just pay more for a fancy name.

Top Bottom