What's new

UK members! What is your recommends for the best starter pre-shave, brush, soap or cream and post-shave or aftershave all for £40 max?

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Or if you fancy something a bit more catch in the eye department for a brush I picked this up amazon for £8. Its a Frank shaving G4 synthetic
20211030_205014.jpg

Terrific product information and tips, greatly appreciated!

I will post up 2 or 3 lists of the products mentioned here as sample bundles I will buy down the road.

I received a super PIF from a member, incredibly kind and thoughtful.

This is a wonderful community! So rare on the web nowadays. Very glad I joined.

Thanks Gentlemen.

Hello Simon. I’m a bit late to your thread but wanted to echo a lot of the suggestions you’ve had. I was pleased to see Goodfellas Smile mentioned already. Goodfellas Smile has been one of my favourite relatively inexpensive finds in the last few years for excellent quality soaps with really great scents.

LEA has been one of my other favourite cheaper finds in the last 2 years. I saw LEA sticks mentioned already. The tube creams are in my opinion excellent value because they are huge compared to other brands. I have the menthol one and paid £2.70 for a 150g tube from Connaught shaving and they also stock a 250g tube of LEA “professional” cream for £3.90.

I agree that Semogue brushes are great. Pretty sure I bought my Semogue 830 from Maguire’s barbershop, which has been mentioned already. I’m also a fan of Razorock synthetic brushes. One brush that might not be on your radar though - and it wasn’t for me until I acquired one as a freebie - is Gentleman’s Face Care Club‘s synthetic brush (you can buy direct or on Amazon U.K.). I’ve been very impressed with the quality of it in the last year or so and I alternate it with my favourite Razorock synthetic.

Speaking of Razorock I think they’re also worth checking out for their range of aftershave splashes. Good range of scents and not too expensive. I see you’re a fan of citrus scents so I’ll recommend Razorock’s Blue Barbershop aftershave splash based on that.

As for aftershave balms I don’t think you can go wrong with LEA’s sensitive aftershave balm. £1.50 for a 75ml tube on Connaught.

LEA has been one of my other favourite cheaper finds in the last 2 years. I saw LEA sticks mentioned already. The tube creams are in my opinion excellent value because they are huge compared to other brands. I have the menthol one and paid £2.70 for a 150g tube from Connaught shaving and they also stock a 250g tube of LEA “professional” cream for £3.90.
Thanks for the heads up on LEA, Dan. :thumbsup:

I've just ordered the 150g tube of LEA Mentholated Shaving Cream (which they haven't had in stock for a while). Cheers!

Well, based on everyone's great input, my first order will be:

Shave soap: La Toja stick & Palmolive (Disappearing by the day unfortunately)
Shave cream tube: LEA menthol (I have no menthol products yet)
Brush: Omega S10081 synthetic
Post shave balm: A Proraso product
Aftershave: Very difficult. It's going to have to be Old Spice Original AND Tabac. There will be others.

So that's my first list. I haven't costed it yet but I want both aftershaves. So it will be exceeding my £40 ceiling. Oh well ;)
I sense at least 1 more list after New Year. Or 2. They will be using the same purchase categories as my first. All
will be based on the kind suggestions above.
I will be getting some Brut aftershave in a separate list.

What does Aqua Velva smell like? What version is closest to the original scent? Is the U.S version stronger and more lasting? I have an overpowering urge to possess Aqua Velva.

Thanks everyone! To be continued....

Last edited:
Just to mention a few items that I like that aren’t too expensive. (I know. I’m chiming in kind of late.) I recently got a Tabac tallow soap stick. Tallow formula is discontinued, so ask before you order (or read the ingredients if you can get it in the store; I have to order everything). Another soap I like is Mitchell’s Wool Fat. It was my first soap 10 years ago and still a favorite. Fairly cheap at Connaugt Shaving.

As for a pre-shave, I like Proraso red. Admittedly, it’s the only one I’ve used (besides an oil; hated oil). I bought the Proraso red soap first and liked the scent so much I got the pre-shave and aftershave also. The pre-shave makes my skin feel nice and supple.

I recently bought Speick Men aftershave. It has a lavender scent, and it feels so healing (even when you felt like you had a good shave). Leaves a great skin feel. I call it magic Speick. I especially like it after a shave with Tabac tallow soap. It’s not particularly cheap, but it’s not expensive either.

As @Marco suggested—a Simpson Trafalgar synthetic brush, pick your size. I just got a T3, and I had heard synthetics were soft, but I really had no idea! I would call it plush. It’s a luxury for a relatively low price.

So these are five items that I have used that I really like.

Top Bottom