What's new

UK members! What is your recommends for the best starter pre-shave, brush, soap or cream and post-shave or aftershave all for £40 max?

Hello All! Any recommendations for the best pre-shave, soap or cream, brush and post shave balm and/or aftershave all for £40 maximum? A bit of a challenge for you!
I am new obviously, and want to up my shaving game but one can get fixated on buying new (or old) razors. I need the nice smelling stuff on a budget. I already have an Edwin Jagger DE89 short handle and a lovely English 40's Gillette Tech with I think an early 30's ball handle, so i'm ok for razors for now.
Any recommendations of a product list that is around £40? I am aiming this primarily at UK colleagues because of import, shipping and other barriers. Anyone can chime in though!
I do not have particularly sensitive skin, although my moustache/upper lip area can be a bit of a bugger sometimes if I daily shave.
I am partial to citrus scents, or an old spice or bay rum theme.
Cheers, Simon

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
For me, pre shave is a gimmick and a waste of time and money so I would skip it. For soap I would get some Arko, Tabac, or MWF on the bay or Amazon.co.uk where you can also pick up some Tabac aftershave. Tabac is also available in Boots on the high street if you want to sample it. Most supermarkets, Tesco, Asda etc. have Brut and Old Spice aftershave which are inexpensive and classics for a reason. I don't know much about brushes at that price point but some sort of Yaqi synthetic or a Semogue boar would probably be a good bet. If you want a post shave balm then Nivea is the way to go. You have products in there which are solid performers at £400 never mind £40. Your Tech razor is the only one you will ever need. Good luck 👍

For me, pre shave is a gimmick and a waste of time and money so I would skip it. For soap I would get some Arko, Tabac, or MWF on the bay or Amazon.co.uk where you can also pick up some Tabac aftershave. Tabac is also available in Boots on the high street if you want to sample it. Most supermarkets, Tesco, Asda etc. have Brut and Old Spice aftershave which are inexpensive and classics for a reason. I don't know much about brushes at that price point but some sort of Yaqi synthetic or a Semogue boar would probably be a good bet. If you want a post shave balm then Nivea is the way to go. You have products in there which are solid performers at £300 never mind £30. Your Tech razor is the only one you will ever need. Good luck 👍
Nice. I am using Arko shave sticks and some Ebay brush atm which is behaving like badger, the description of bristle type was unclear. Appreciated!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Arko is one of my favourites, some hate the smell but I love it. It reminds me of my Mother scrubbing the doorstep, or cleaning the kitchen with Jif in the 1970s and I find it very comforting because of that; it is a fantastic soap at any price. For me the most important quality of a soap or aftershave is that the scent reminds me of my childhood, because those scents make me happy, the actual shaving performance, as long as it is acceptable, is secondary.

Nice. I am using Arko shave sticks and some Ebay brush atm which is behaving like badger, the description of bristle type was unclear. Appreciated!

Arko is one of my favourites, some hate the smell but I love it. It reminds me of my Mother scrubbing the doorstep, or cleaning the kitchen with Jif in the 1970s and I find it very comforting because of that; it is a fantastic soap at any price. For me the most important quality of a soap or aftershave is that the scent reminds me of my childhood, because those scents make me happy, the actual shaving performance, as long as it is acceptable, is secondary.
Totally agree. I am actually loving the Arko sticks, both for their performance and versatility in use (I camp a lot so it saves weight and bulk) and I am partial to the scent. Smells old school soapy. Same with my attraction to an Old Spice/Bay Rum type scent. My Granddad was a barber, he had a place in Soho in the 50's and a damn good one, and these old smells seem subliminal and yes, comforting. Like I remember them from before memory. He passed away in 64, when I was 3. Maybe smell is the first memory.

In the same spirit as @EclipseRedRing, Arko can hardly be beaten considering the price and availability. Same about Nivea and Tabac balms, plenty of options at reasonable prices. In terms or brushes, I'd recommend synthetics, a Simpson Trafalgar T2 can easily be had for £18 and T3 for about £20. In terms of aftershaves Police has some decent offerings at good prices. And yes, good selection of razors there, no need to be enabled further.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Erasmic cream. I've picked them up from Bodycare in the past, and also from Savers. I think the price was £1.09 per tube last time I got some. For hard soaps, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Haslinger, LEA sticks, and The Goodfellas Smile mug soaps all get my vote of confidence. Mitchell's doesn't seem to work for everyone though .

My top blades in my Jagger (which is my primary razor) are Wilkinson Sword and Astra Platinum. Others that work well for me are Gillette Sharpedge, Feather, Personna Red, and Derby Premium. You need good technique with the Feather and Sharpedge.

My only aftershave lotions are own brands. Boots Freshwood and Superdrug Forest Fresh. Nivea makes some good affordable balms.

Brush choice for me, would be synthetic. Take your pick which brand. If you keep your Jagger razor, you can afford a Simpson Trafalgar.

Welcome to B&B.
Hello All! Any recommendations for the best pre-shave, soap or cream, brush and post shave balm and/or aftershave all for £40 maximum? A bit of a challenge for you!
Have a look at Maguire's Barbershop and the Proraso products will cover all the pre/post shave, shaving soap, balm, aftershave lotion. For a brush, the Omega Pro (10049); all within your budget of £40.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
And to reply to your OP, here are some thoughts, well within your budget.

• Omega S10081 synthetic brush about £7
  • Soap La Toja stick about £3
  • Cella Extra Extra Bio pre shave balm about £9
  • Cella Extra Extra Bio post shave balm about £8

I suggested a synthetic brush, because while Boars are my favorite, they take quite a bit of time to break in. You may want to try one, but do not judge it until you have about 60 shaves on it. Synthetics are wonderful, I'm a recent convert. Omega has a good reputation of value for the money.

If you are using Arko, but don't love the scent, try La Toja. You won't be disappointed in performance (despite the smell few knock Arko for performance), La Toja is a world-beater of a shave soap, don't let the price fool you. It's tough to say this in the shaving world but that's as close to a guaranteed winner you'll find around here.

Like others, I don't often use a preshave, I shave right after a shower making it unecessary. However if you do not, I'm recommending the Cella based on the fact that that line's soap is in the world's best for posts-shave face feel, up there with products you can probably count on the fingers of one hand. Ditto for the post shave, although I prefer alcohol splashes, myself. Whatever you do try, please post your thoughts on them later!

From those who use them, I believe the Proraso line of preshave creams is very well-liked. I use the red when I do use a preshave.

Well everyone that's a rich selection of suggestions there. Much appreciated.
I will try to distill down a kit 1, 2 & 3 from all the suggestions and will post them.
A colleague has very kindly offered me a PIF package of small great quality items which I will add.
Thanks!
Simon

Last edited:
Welcome, Alum.

I think you can still find Palmolive stick soap in the UK even though it's been discontinued. It's cheap and a quite decent shaving soap, so I'd load up on it if you can find it. Of course Arko isn't bad either but it does have that smell. The Simpson Trafalgar brush is very good and a huge bargain for you blokes. The EJ89 is a terrific razor as is the Tech.

Welcome, Alum.

I think you can still find Palmolive stick soap in the UK even though it's been discontinued. It's cheap and a quite decent shaving soap, so I'd load up on it if you can find it. Of course Arko isn't bad either but it does have that smell. The Simpson Trafalgar brush is very good and a huge bargain for you blokes. The EJ89 is a terrific razor as is the Tech.
Thanks @Mempho appreciated. Yes, the Palmolive seems to still be available here in good amounts. I will add that and the La Toja as my shave sticks. I hear La Toja smells like spring has sprung in your bathroom. Great scent. Palmolive has a more old school soap smell without the Arko's slight 'drawback' in the scent dept.

EE076CB7-8B6A-4C72-8E5F-9007E3BE188F.jpeg
About Arko and THE SMELL…
Arko has also 4 budget priced shaving creams on offer and while they don’t share the tallow base of the stick they perform very well and have subtle, inoffensive scents.

I was going to suggest the Palmolive stick if you can still find it. Last time I was in Newry (NI) I bought two from Tesco at 50p each. That was a couple of years ago - pre pandemic, so I can't say if it is still available. If you prefer creams, Palmolive is still a feasible option.

I also don't use a preshave so can't help there. There are a few post shave balms available for a reasonable cost. Nivea has already been suggested. L'Oreal also do a moisturiser which is ok. Unsure of the cost of these in the UK, but even in Ireland they would fit in with your budget.

View attachment 1354957About Arko and THE SMELL…
Arko has also 4 budget priced shaving creams on offer and while they don’t share the tallow base of the stick they perform very well and have subtle, inoffensive scents.
I love Arko, I don't mind the smell at all. It's a great performer and i'm staying with it! That is 3 cheapish sticks added. Arko, Palmolive and the La Toja. These creams just add to the list. Thanks @Multum in parvo

Simon

Top Bottom