What's new

Ugly Rash from MdC. Any Ideas Why?

I have MdC unscented. It used to work fine for me. Now I get a red, blotchy rash and severe irritation every time I use it. This does not happen to me with Mike's, Strop Shoppe, Barrister & Mann or QCS unscented soaps. Nothing is different with my routine when I use MdC: same razor, blades and brushes as I use every day.

Today my face looks awful. This happens every time I use MdC now. I can't explain it. Since it's the unscented that I use, I know it's not a problem with fragrance oils.

I loaded enough soap and used enough water. My lather was picture-perfect. So it's not a matter of bad lather causing a poor shave.

I do have very sensitive skin and bad allergies. Perhaps I've developed a sensitivity to the amount of coconut acid in the soap. I know that some soap makers like Michelle from Mystic Waters avoid coconut oil / acid in their soaps for sensitive skin.

Has anyone else experienced a problem with getting a rash from MdC?

I know that MdC works fine for most everyone who uses it. This won't be the first time that a product which most everyone likes doesn't work for me.

Any theories about what might be causing the problems?

Nick

Oh no! You've got the dreaded MdC allergy! I'm afraid the only solution is to get rid of it. I'll PM you my address... ;-)

Nick, this is a real strange situation since MdC worked without rash for you in the past.

Perhaps it is a case of prolonged exposure?

Last edited:
How long had you been using it, previously? Was it daily or intermittently? It could just be that your body can't tolerate something in the soap and it indicating it to you after some time. Even the unscented version has a strong scent, for me.
That is really unfortunate. Best of luck, Nick!

I get a similar reaction with many soaps (3P, Valora croap, among others). LA Shaving Soap Co also gives me the same reaction, and it's made with the same ingredients I believe. I left my tub of Topanga Fougere open for a week and I don't get a reaction anymore, even though the scent seems to be just as strong. Maybe airing it out will make it usable for you. Good luck!

That is unfortunate to hear. Can you try just lathering it up and leaving it on the back of your hand/face? Don't shave with it so you can confirm that the soap is truly the culprit.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Coconut soaps dries me out. If that causes irritation for others in this soap, I should really try LASS before I get around to dropping 70 bucks on MdC to be sure it won't dry me out.

Nick, this is a real strange situation since MdC worked without rash for you in the past.

Perhaps it is a case of prolonged exposure?

It's very likely that's the issue. With my allergies, sometimes I get an immediate reaction and sometimes it takes a while before I start to see a problem.

It's the same for me with most scented soaps. I can use them a couple of times without a problem, but after a while I start to get a reaction every time. Some are a problem from the first shave, like I Coloniali. My face did not like that one.

How long had you been using it, previously? Was it daily or intermittently? It could just be that your body can't tolerate something in the soap and it indicating it to you after some time.

I got my jar back in early September. I never used it every day. The problem started to show up in early November.

That is unfortunate to hear. Can you try just lathering it up and leaving it on the back of your hand/face? Don't shave with it so you can confirm that the soap is truly the culprit.

That probably wouldn't be a fair test for a couple of reasons. The skin on my face is more sensitive than the skin on my hand or arm. Also, it's the process of shaving and the associated exfoliation that increases the sensitivity of my face. Just lathering up without shaving might not produce a reaction. I'll give it a try in a couple of days, just to see what happens. For now, I have to let this reaction calm down. Hours later, it's still bothering me. It's definitely not razor burn. It feels and looks different.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I get a reaction from MdC. The ingredients are nearly the same as Kirk's Castile Soap: http://www.kirksnatural.com/products/original-bar-soap/

That soap caused problems when I used it to just wash my face with a wash cloth. Coconut soap is known to be drying. Thinking back, I noticed a bit of drying with MdC early on, before I really started to get a bad reaction.

Coconut soap is also known to be easy to lather, which is why MdC is such a breeze to use. Looks like I might be smart to take the extra minute or two that I need to lather Mike's, since I never have a problem with that soap.

Nick

I recently had the same reaction to Tabac SC after a few years of occasional use. I put it aside for a few weeks, finally trying it again, and I experienced the same problem. I'm guessing as I get older, my body chemistry has changed, luckily I still can enjoy Tabac soap, I gave away the four tubes of SC I had remaining.

Just like Cacique said maybe letting it air out, MDC recommends for the jar to be left open after initial use as it is part of its curing/drying process. I transferred my mdc unscented to another container and have left it open ever since. In the beginning I did find its astringent properties overwhelming, but have mellowed out over time, just another thought. good luck

It's very likely that's the issue. With my allergies, sometimes I get an immediate reaction and sometimes it takes a while before I start to see a problem.

I got my jar back in early September. I never used it every day. The problem started to show up in early November.

I can see these two things being the cause of your problem, Nick. Daily use of a product doesn't allow your skin to recover and may cause the breakout and sensitivity issues. The cooler weather may also be a contributing factor.

Sorry to hear it.

This is probably outside the realm of shaving (methinks). Has there been a changed in your diet? MdC may be contributing / highlighting the imbalance.

This is probably outside the realm of shaving (methinks). Has there been a changed in your diet? MdC may be contributing / highlighting the imbalance.

There have been no obvious changes to my routine, including my diet. The only unscented soap that produces this bad of a rash on my face is MdC. I have not noticed other allergic reactions to suggest the problem was diet or environmental factors (no rashes elsewhere on my body, for example.)

Nick

Searched the forums, and I'm having the exact same problem as nick. Got my MdC back in august, had about 10 wonderful shaves with it, then put it aside to try different artisan soaps. Revisited MdC 2 weeks ago, got a terrible shave with razor burn and rash and eventual scabbing that went away after 5 days. Tried MdC again today and got razor burn again. What's going on here? Only thing I can think of is maybe the seasonal change from summer to fall/drier skin? But I remember MdC leaving my skin feeling so moisturized before. Hopefully I didn't develop an allergic reaction. It was my favorite soap. Any thoughts?

Saponified coconut oil fatty acids, in excess, can cause dryness. They make an easy lather, but there's a tradeoff, and some people are more sensitive than others.

I think the main reason is the lack of added water when blending foam. A little dry foam gives this result usually. YMMV

I had been using MDC, LASS, and strop shoppe (non tallow) for a while without problems. Now if I use any of them for a couple days in a row I get some irritation/tingling feeling while they are on my face. They are all very different scents, so I don't think it is related to the scent oils. I intermittently get a similar feeling with the reformulated aos soaps but its inconsistent and may not be the soap- haven't used them enoigh to be sure yet. I figure it must be one of the soap oil ingredients. They're all similar recipes.

I have been saying that I was going to try Mdc. There is an actual shop that sells nothing but shaving products here in the Los Angeles area. They are one of the few in the country that stock it. Maybe I am glad I have not purchased it. I read in one of your replies that it contains coconut oil. My wife uses pure coconut oil on her face and I have tried it a couple of times and I do not like it at all my face burns and dries my skin. In addition, I also had a very bad reaction on my neck and face it looked like I had measles. Before calling a dermatologist I did a little research on the net. What I found was that anything that dehydrates your face such as coconut oils and after shave splashes which contains mostly alcohol (80%+) can cause rashes. And, alum which dehydrates your face and acts as a antibacterial can also cause the same problem on some people. I was one of them. I stopped using coconut oil, after shave splash and alum and only use alcohol free after shave balm. I have not experienced a rash since.

+1 ... this was my first thought. If MdC worked for you before, what has changed since then? Are you taking any new prescriptions for your allergies? Have you been going to a different restaurant for lunch?

If you already have bad allergies, check with your Physician and have him run standard tests on the soap to pinpoint the exact cause.

In the worst case scenario, just stop using MdC. Its one of the finest soaps in the world, but if it causes you irritation, its no point to use it any further. A manufacturer's great reputation means little if it is not compatible with your skin.

Top Bottom