What's new

ugh, ow, ouch

Hello all !!! I’m Bob, forty-sixteen years old (that’s 56), married, daughter just graduated university and is teaching elementary school, and a freshman son away at college and our home is in SE Michigan.

I guess I’ve technically been a “wet” shaver since the beginning and I’m pretty sure my first razor was a hand me down DE Gillette from my dad or grandfather – just so long ago I don’t remember. I do remember trying out the disposable razors that came 4 or 6 to a pack – big mistake. I also remember receiving an electric foil razor as a gift one year when I was about 20 or so, used it about 3 times, stuck it in the back of my sock drawer until I finally threw it out – never took an interest to electrics again – nasty, just plain nasty.

I moved to the cartridge razors early on, Atra I think – I don’t know exactly when they came out but I’m talking mid to late 70’s now. Used the two blade system until I made the switch to the Mach 3 system which I still have today. I must admit the first time I used the Mach 3 I was blown away by the smoothness and closeness of the shave – I could go every other day between shaves and I was a suit and tie guy. Over time, I felt the blades diminish in performance, smoothness and comfort – they also didn’t seem to last as long. So . . . I believe it was about three years ago I bought a bulk order and examined the cartridges to all known sources to identify any possibility of counterfeits. As far as I could tell they were genuine. They worked ok, but not like the ones I remembered from the beginning.

I don’t remember how many were in the package, but my wife and daughter used them, my son started using them when he began shaving – I’ve got six left. My wife and daughter moved on to some contraption that looks like lips pressed against glass with blades in the middle, my son still is using the Mach 3 but he doesn’t need to shave much and he has no interest in DE’s at this time. When he was home from school for the holiday break I showed him what I bought and he said although everyone else uses electric at school, even his high school buddies use electric, he was fine using the Mach 3. I guess I was more than a bit surprised to hear he’s a rarity and actually takes a bit of a ribbing over it.

So, here I am today, about three weeks into going “old school”. I bought a ball end Tech of off ebay, ordered a sample pack of blades from an online vendor, but I couldn’t wait for the sample pack to arrive so I bought the generic store branded blades to get started. First results, so –so, WTG only and irritation on my lower neck. Based on reading here I put a Feather into the very mild Tech and tried hard not to use any pressure. Still irritation. I did not like the pencil thin ball end handle right from the start so I ordered a “New – long comb” and another Tech with the fatter handle. After one use with the Feather I put it in the “New” for the next shave. I think dermatologists have a procedure and get paid to do what I did to myself – I sheared off every imperfection I had and created a dozen or so weepers. I guess that’s what to call them as I didn’t actually cut myself as in a slice. My wife had a good laugh at my expense. I then went on to a Merkur in the fat handled Tech and last nite put a Derby in the Tech and liked that the best so far – not particularly close – but it was the most comfortable to date.

Been using the canned Nivea but will get a brush and soap soon, never whipped up a lather before. If you’re still with me thanks for staying tuned and hopefully it was a bit entertaining. Quite the coincidence on Xmas eve as I told my brother-in-law I made the switch and he was beginning to make the switch himself. His brother has been using a straight razor for 20 years, but his brother only shaves once a week. I gave him the “New”, he-he.

I do have a couple of questions if I may:

First, the three razors I bought from ebay where inexpensive – I didn’t care what they looked like – I wanted to try the safety razor out before sinking a bunch of money in. The Gillette adjustables did get my attention, but only due to the price. Some are going for pretty good money and it makes me wonder.

Who is buying these old razors at the hefty prices, is it just us older guys returning to the old ways, or is it the younger guys wanting to use a quality, American made product that’s 50 or 60 years old? I’m really curious to know that.

The second question – In looking at the Fatboys on ebay - I REMEMBER THAT CASE - the one with the magnifying glass so you could see the dial. I have a cedar jewelry box that belonged to my dad somewhere that I kept a few of his old things in (he died in 68 when I was quite young). About once every 10 years or so I happen across the box and look through it. The 12" of snow on Monday gave me an opportunity to look for it and low and behold there’s a Fatboy sitting in it, an F-1, no case. It’s missing the bottom threaded retainer and spring and not in collectible or display shape but it would be perfectly fine as an everyday razor.

Is there anywhere a guy can get the parts to get it working again?

Anyway, thanks all for tuning in and thanks for all of the great info provided - Bob

Hi there. I would advise you to stick with one razor and one type of blade for a while, otherwise you'll never know what's at fault when something goes wrong. I'd be inclined to say use a Tech, because they are quite mild. I love the New razors myself, but they are a bit more aggressive.
Having said that, I think the most important thing is prep -- using a proper brush and soap or cream should make a huge difference.

In before ouch

Welcome to B&B!!!

The world of wet shaving is making a comeback in my opinion, which is where you are seeing the prices go. I'm glad you found your fathers fatboy. I'm not up to date with how to fix it, but someone will come along and help.

Ask any questions you have, we're here to help.

Also, stop by the Hall of Fame and tell us a little about yourself.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Hello all !!! I’m Bob, forty-sixteen years old (that’s 56), married, daughter just graduated university and is teaching elementary school, and a freshman son away at college and our home is in SE Michigan.

I guess I’ve technically been a “wet” shaver since the beginning and I’m pretty sure my first razor was a hand me down DE Gillette from my dad or grandfather – just so long ago I don’t remember. I do remember trying out the disposable razors that came 4 or 6 to a pack – big mistake. I also remember receiving an electric foil razor as a gift one year when I was about 20 or so, used it about 3 times, stuck it in the back of my sock drawer until I finally threw it out – never took an interest to electrics again – nasty, just plain nasty.

I moved to the cartridge razors early on, Atra I think – I don’t know exactly when they came out but I’m talking mid to late 70’s now. Used the two blade system until I made the switch to the Mach 3 system which I still have today. I must admit the first time I used the Mach 3 I was blown away by the smoothness and closeness of the shave – I could go every other day between shaves and I was a suit and tie guy. Over time, I felt the blades diminish in performance, smoothness and comfort – they also didn’t seem to last as long. So . . . I believe it was about three years ago I bought a bulk order and examined the cartridges to all known sources to identify any possibility of counterfeits. As far as I could tell they were genuine. They worked ok, but not like the ones I remembered from the beginning.

I don’t remember how many were in the package, but my wife and daughter used them, my son started using them when he began shaving – I’ve got six left. My wife and daughter moved on to some contraption that looks like lips pressed against glass with blades in the middle, my son still is using the Mach 3 but he doesn’t need to shave much and he has no interest in DE’s at this time. When he was home from school for the holiday break I showed him what I bought and he said although everyone else uses electric at school, even his high school buddies use electric, he was fine using the Mach 3. I guess I was more than a bit surprised to hear he’s a rarity and actually takes a bit of a ribbing over it.

So, here I am today, about three weeks into going “old school”. I bought a ball end Tech of off ebay, ordered a sample pack of blades from an online vendor, but I couldn’t wait for the sample pack to arrive so I bought the generic store branded blades to get started. First results, so –so, WTG only and irritation on my lower neck. Based on reading here I put a Feather into the very mild Tech and tried hard not to use any pressure. Still irritation. I did not like the pencil thin ball end handle right from the start so I ordered a “New – long comb” and another Tech with the fatter handle. After one use with the Feather I put it in the “New” for the next shave. I think dermatologists have a procedure and get paid to do what I did to myself – I sheared off every imperfection I had and created a dozen or so weepers. I guess that’s what to call them as I didn’t actually cut myself as in a slice. My wife had a good laugh at my expense. I then went on to a Merkur in the fat handled Tech and last nite put a Derby in the Tech and liked that the best so far – not particularly close – but it was the most comfortable to date.

Been using the canned Nivea but will get a brush and soap soon, never whipped up a lather before. If you’re still with me thanks for staying tuned and hopefully it was a bit entertaining. Quite the coincidence on Xmas eve as I told my brother-in-law I made the switch and he was beginning to make the switch himself. His brother has been using a straight razor for 20 years, but his brother only shaves once a week. I gave him the “New”, he-he.
Bob, i am stll with you...............you should have waited an extra day to recover from the bad shave results of the Ball End Tech with Feathers, the Fat Handle Tech and LC NEW razors.

I do have a couple of questions if I may:

First, the three razors I bought from ebay where inexpensive – I didn’t care what they looked like – I wanted to try the safety razor out before sinking a bunch of money in. The Gillette adjustables did get my attention, but only due to the price. Some are going for pretty good money and it makes me wonder.
The price reflects the qualilty, they are better than most modern razors.

Who is buying these old razors at the hefty prices, is it just us older guys returning to the old ways, or is it the younger guys wanting to use a quality, American made product that’s 50 or 60 years old? I’m really curious to know that.
if you break it down, it may be more of the older people, since they have more money. But the newer/younger generation of users is increasing by a large number daily. It is due to the high cost of disposable razors and the popularity of Old School Shave sites.

The second question – In looking at the Fatboys on ebay - I REMEMBER THAT CASE - the one with the magnifying glass so you could see the dial. I have a cedar jewelry box that belonged to my dad somewhere that I kept a few of his old things in (he died in 68 when I was quite young). About once every 10 years or so I happen across the box and look through it. The 12" of snow on Monday gave me an opportunity to look for it and low and behold there’s a Fatboy sitting in it, an F-1, no case. It’s missing the bottom threaded retainer and spring and not in collectible or display shape but it would be perfectly fine as an everyday razor.

Is there anywhere a guy can get the parts to get it working again?
send me PM

Anyway, thanks all for tuning in and thanks for all of the great info provided - Bob
:thumbup:

welcome to B&B sir!

I did the M3 thing for many years before 'discovering' wetshaving. I've been at it now for just over a year and will never go back - I've gone a bit crazy and have enough blades and soaps to last me many years, not to mention having a small collection of DE + SE razors of about 80 and 20 or so brushes. they kind of sneak up on you.

Welcome to the new old school. You count like my brother who states his height as 5'16" or as most people would say 6'4". With that of of the way I have been DE shaving for 1 month and absolutely love all aspects. One thing I did about 10 years ago was to throw away the canned foam and buy a brush and Proraso Green, Williams Mug, and Wilkinson Sword shaving soaps and creams. The Wilkinson brush cost $26 at the time and now costs $6, go figure. I purchased a Merkur 33C, an alum block and a 50 blade sampler pack of blades. I spent just enough to get free shipping from the Italian Barber. It's my Scottish heritage. Being very careful with the first shave I had no nicks and no weepers. I thought great I could get used to this. Using the different blades I became proficient in using the styptic pencil. Numerous nicks and weepers. I soon found which blades work better for me and go always ensure the handle is tight on the Merkur. TWGW have me a Christmas gift of a badger brush and a tub of Kent soap. Shaving is now something I look forward to every morning including weekends. Stay with it you will become proficient over time.

Last edited:
Welcome to the new old school. You count like my brother who states his height as 5'16" or as most people would say 6'4". With that of of the way I have been DE shaving for 1 month and absolutely love all aspects. One thing I did about 10 years ago was to throw away the canned foam and buy a brush and Proraso Green, Williams Mug, and Wilkinson Sword shaving soaps and creams. The Wilkinson brush cost $26 at the time and now costs $6, go figure. I purchased a Merkur 33C, an alum block and a 50 blade sampler pack of blades. I spent just enough to get free shipping from the Italian Barber. It's my Scottish heritage. Being very careful with the first shave I had no nicks and no weepers. I thought great I could get used to this. Using the different blades I became proficient in using the styptic pencil. Numerous nicks and weepers. I soon found which blades work better for me and go always ensure the handle is tight on the Merkur. TWGW have me a Christmas gift of a badger brush and a tub of Kent soap. Shaving is now something I look forward to every morning including weekends. Stay with it you will become proficient over time.
Nice post, thanks for sharing the motivation.

for the warm welcome. I really didn't understand the "ouch" thing at first, I figured I committed a faux pas of some sort - funny stuff. And Ouch, you are one ugly dude but why isn't my avatar showing up next to my name to let everyone know how good looking I am?

Prep - I've always been a shower shaver and my first mistake was trying to do a three pass shave (WTG, XTG, and ATG) with my Mach 3 just prior to starting with the safety razor. My skin never really recovered fully from that and I was giving it a days rest in between. To further the problem the feather in the "New" just scraped too much skin off on the already tender neck spots. I've watched some videos and these guys who look like they'd have a 5 o'clock shadow by 9:00 am only shave their neck from the Adams apple on up. I'm not a particularly hairy guy but my neck beard goes down to the base of my neck and I wasn't holding the razor correctly to get the angle right. I've since switched hands, that with the Derby will get me on the right track.

Post - I'm using cold water, then Witch Hazel, then Aqua Velva, and then sometimes a balm.

I don't plan on switching razors up in the short term, but the fat handled Tech is a bit too short and a bit too light. Or maybe I just need to get used to it. But I do plan on ordering up some samples of aftershave, pre-shave and soap.

I must admit I am a tad confused, many say a main motivating factor is the cost of the cartridges, but adding up the cost of all the gear, lotions, tonics, alum blocks, stands, brushes, bowls . . . . . not to mention umpteen different Gillette vintages.

Well, time for bed. G'nite.

On to Dad's Fatboy, Alex I got your PM and thank you. I will post some pics before the weekend is over.

Roderick, McKay clan here - and why is it nobody can make whisky like the Scots? Nobody.

for the warm welcome. I really didn't understand the "ouch" thing at first, I figured I committed a faux pas of some sort - funny stuff. And Ouch, you are one ugly dude but why isn't my avatar showing up next to my name to let everyone know how good looking I am?

Prep - I've always been a shower shaver and my first mistake was trying to do a three pass shave (WTG, XTG, and ATG) with my Mach 3 just prior to starting with the safety razor. My skin never really recovered fully from that and I was giving it a days rest in between. To further the problem the feather in the "New" just scraped too much skin off on the already tender neck spots. I've watched some videos and these guys who look like they'd have a 5 o'clock shadow by 9:00 am only shave their neck from the Adams apple on up. I'm not a particularly hairy guy but my neck beard goes down to the base of my neck and I wasn't holding the razor correctly to get the angle right. I've since switched hands, that with the Derby will get me on the right track.

Post - I'm using cold water, then Witch Hazel, then Aqua Velva, and then sometimes a balm.

I don't plan on switching razors up in the short term, but the fat handled Tech is a bit too short and a bit too light. Or maybe I just need to get used to it. But I do plan on ordering up some samples of aftershave, pre-shave and soap.

I must admit I am a tad confused, many say a main motivating factor is the cost of the cartridges, but adding up the cost of all the gear, lotions, tonics, alum blocks, stands, brushes, bowls . . . . . not to mention umpteen different Gillette vintages.

Well, time for bed. G'nite.

On to Dad's Fatboy, Alex I got your PM and thank you. I will post some pics before the weekend is over.

Roderick, McKay clan here - and why is it nobody can make whisky like the Scots? Nobody.
Yes, Ouch can be funny :biggrin1:.....yes, you can send or text the pics and i see if i can help.

Top Bottom